• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navfit98a - Does anybody have experience with this?

IrishEagle85

I wasn't really sure where to put this.

Anyways, I just spent the last 5-6 hours writing the fitreps and evals for the kids in my platoon. I was getting ready to send the final database up to my Company Commander, and the root folder containing the entire database completely disappeared. When I open the NavFit98a file I had been working on, the root folder is completely gone.

Does anybody know what causes this, and if there is any chance of recovering my fitreps? If not, I'll have to redo them all tomorrow afternoon.

IrishEagle85

That was the first site I went to, and I couldn't find my particular problem listed there.

Basically, you know when you open the NavFit98a file, and there's a folder listed in the screen to the top left, titled "root"? That folder is missing. If I create a new database and try to import the data from the original file I had been working with, where it usually says format and lists the formats as NavFit98a, it says "unknown" instead.

Update:
I opened the file with Microsoft Access instead, and it seems I can access most of the original information and most importantly, the eval comments I made. So I suppose I can copy and paste most of the stuff back in. I can open up the individual tables and the table specific information is intact. If I had to make a guess, I would say the table relationships somehow got corrupted.

haubby

None
Contributor
You just learned a valuable lesson with Navfit. Always backup your fitreps/evals on disks.

adam28270

Just be careful with the import function. Importing a file into the root folder could wipe the whole thing clean. You have to import individual fitreps to do it correctly I believe. A MIDN here thought he knew what he was doing and erased everyone's fitreps so we had to re-do them. We finally learned to back up the database several times a day during fitrep season. You might be better off just copying and pasting.

phrogpilot73

Let me tell you, going from the USMC's system (A-PES) which is web-based (and I thought a pain-in-the-ass) to helping PSW get hers done, I realized that the Navy needs to get with the 90's on their FITREP program...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I think the US Navy is the only institution in the world that still uses floppy disks.

You can use geek sticks, but that's assuming the old ass computer you might be working on can use a geek stick...

Huggy Bear

pilot
Not to mention the DOS like ancient system for recording flight data - NALCOMIS; our logbooks are still handwritten or at best differently recorded by each squadron, and don't get me started on NMCI.

Ya know, I work for a civilian company now and all of our admin is modern, user friendly, and works like it's supposed to.

IrishEagle85

After I rewrite my fitreps later in the day, I'm going to go back and play with the original file in Access and see if I can't figure out a way to fix it, since the table contents are still intact. I'm convinced the problem lies in the ability of Navfit to recognize the database as a Navfit database, which could be as simple as an erroneous value in one of the data cells. I know I can't be the first one this has happened to, so figuring it out could potentially help others in the future (assuming others are as naive as me to not backup their file). If for nothing else than closure, since the fact this happened is driving me batshit.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Not to mention the DOS like ancient system for recording flight data - NALCOMIS; our logbooks are still handwritten or at best differently recorded by each squadron, and don't get me started on NMCI.

Ya know, I work for a civilian company now and all of our admin is modern, user friendly, and works like it's supposed to.

I love the irony of the fact when you try and email your NAVFIT fitrep file to the Admin-O, NMCI screens out the attachment as "unsafe"...

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
That was the first site I went to, and I couldn't find my particular problem listed there.

Basically, you know when you open the NavFit98a file, and there's a folder listed in the screen to the top left, titled "root"? That folder is missing. If I create a new database and try to import the data from the original file I had been working with, where it usually says format and lists the formats as NavFit98a, it says "unknown" instead.

Update:
I opened the file with Microsoft Access instead, and it seems I can access most of the original information and most importantly, the eval comments I made. So I suppose I can copy and paste most of the stuff back in. I can open up the individual tables and the table specific information is intact. If I had to make a guess, I would say the table relationships somehow got corrupted.

This happened to me before. I searched each individual Eval file in the Start/Search function. I also searched for the Root File, but could only find the individual files.