• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Science Institute?

p8MIDN

really bad at math
Hello!

Just some background, I am a College Program MIDN at a Senior Military College.

I was not awarded a four-year scholarship, but I am pursuing the three-year and two-year unit scholarships, and did my research on the NROTC info page.

There is an option to attend the "Naval Science Institute" in Newport for eight weeks alongside the STA-21 OC's, and then return to the NROTC unit with a two-year scholarship and a commission (assuming matriculation, competitive GPA's, PRT, etc)

Does anyone know about the specifics of that program, the competitiveness, or even if it is well known by unit commanders? I have a pretty competitive unit with 300+ MIDN, and I'm not confident in my chances of unit scholarships or Advanced Standing, so would this be an option for me?

Thank you very much.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the 2-year scholarship option with NSI is only for students with ZERO NROTC time. NSI is designed to teach freshman and sophomore Naval Science classes with PT and Military training mixed in.

If you are in the NROTC, you will complete for the 3 or 2-year side load scholarship.....you can also complete for Advanced Standing. Any NROTC Officer recruiter will know all about the different options....please talk to one.

BTW, I attended NSI in 1993.

p8MIDN

really bad at math
Thanks ea6bflyr! I'll have to make a trip to the recruiter's office when I get home.

p8MIDN

really bad at math
Yes. I'll need to figure out who that is, and it wouldn't hurt to see if my Navy recruiter knows who to talk to.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes. I'll need to figure out who that is, and it wouldn't hurt to see if my Navy recruiter knows who to talk to.

Generally, it's going to be the freshman class advisor. If you go to an actual unit, that's who you'll want to ask to talk to.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Generally, it's going to be the freshman class advisor. If you go to an actual unit, that's who you'll want to ask to talk to.
Not always. I was the Freshman Advisor/Instructor and while I spoke to many prospective students, the Officer recruiter for the unit was one of the secretaries.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks ea6bflyr! I'll have to make a trip to the recruiter's office when I get home.

A Navy recruiter has nothing to do with NSI. NSI is generally for those who joined the NROTC program late and need a jump start catching up with Naval Science classes. I've known a few who attended NSI for that same reason.

p8MIDN

really bad at math
Just an update: I talked to my Company Officer today, he said that our unit doesn't send MIDN to NSI, and that very few other units do either. He also said that BDCP is dead and gone.
Looks like all I can do now is work on getting my GPA up to be competitive for the 2/3 year Scholarships, NUPOC and OCS.

Thank you all for the prompt replies!