• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVAL SCIENCE INSTITUTE (NSI) NEWPORT, RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
BestDamnET said:
I see it's been almost a year since this thread has been active. I'm wondering if anything has changed at NSI since the time this discussion has taken place. Aside from the PT & school, is anything different? ie. uniform requirements, liberty, families visiting, etc.?

From looking at flynavy2006's post and what my husband has told me (he's at NSI now), it's pretty much the same. They just now are allowed to wear civilian clothes, and they graduate on the 21st.

As far as families visiting, 2 weekends ago was their first overnight libery, and that was the first that my hubby made mention of anyone's family going up to visit them. My hubby was granted permission to fly down here last weekend (at our expense), since we (I) went to closing on our new house the Friday before.

He hasn't found the school all that hard, but then again, he's not too far removed from the nuke pipeline, so I'm assuming that it would take a lot for him to find any school more demanding than that.

If you have a cell phone, bring it. We don't, and we have gone through calling cards like they're water. They have cable internet in their rooms, so between that and the calling, I hear from him a couple times a day.

It would be helpful if you had a car up there (or know someone who does), so you can escape every now and then.

STA-21-INTEL

I am in NSI right now as well and the only major difference to the given schedule is that we PT at 1000 (right before lunch) instead of first thing in the AM. Classes are pretty easy, just put in a little effort and you'll do fine. The only thing they real kick people out of the program for is failing the PRT, and they WILL kick you out for that. I cannot stress enough that there is no arguing "but I was only off by 10 seconds..." they won't listen. To graduate here you must get a minimum of GOOD LOW. Keep in mind in the rest of the Navy you only need SAT LOW. This may seem like I am harping on a little issue, but PRT is the only way to fail out of here and I have seen multiple people kicked out for it. It's just not worth it to come here unprepared and think it's no big deal.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
There is a schedule for liberty and stuff on the STA 21 website. Aside from getting civillian clothes the weekend before week 8 (which means about three days early), we followed the liberty schedule to the letter.
Uniform in the winter is winter blues. That was also the liberty uniform. During the summer it's wash khaki, with service khaki on fridays and liberty. The uniform switch day is May 2, so I think by the time you get uniforms it'll be khaki time.
As khaki are a year round uniform, the policy makes no sense to me. No one, including most ROTC units, wears winter blues. I think it's just a way to distinguish us from the staff (but it only works half the year...).
Here's the STA 21 website: https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/boost/nsipage.htm

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
Just wanted to ditto the PRT info above. NSI will make you manage your time properly. Don't stress out about the courses too much. Everyone is there to help you succeed, unless you fail the physical fitness portion. They will not even let you start NSI if you exceed the BCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.