• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Rotary-Wing Operations Video

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
There is no TCAS in the -34. It has NACWS... unfortunately they disabled the feature that told you where the contact your trying to avoid was comming from, now it just beeps to tell you that you are approaching your doom and gives you an altitude difference... It'd be nice to have the location feature for the numerous occasions that approach and tower try to send the 34s crashing into each other here.

STARFlight145

USFpilot06 said:
Old or not I thought the video was rather cool, except for the little Air Farce song blurb! Gets me going to see what I'll be doing here in the next few months, or years for that matter. I noticed the t-34s didn't have the TCAS yet, when did that come along? And really do you use it? Lastly I saw what look like 2 different versions of the TH57. Is that right?

I assume you are talking about the two different cockpits that you saw. One is just the standard TH-57 panel. The larger, more sophisticated looking TH-57 panel is used for IFR training which all SNA's undergo.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
Everybody knows real T-34's don't look like that....where are the sweat stains, the chipped paint, the oil and exhaust stains all over the exterior, not to mention the obviously lacking baked on 16 layers of puke that no amount of cleaning could ever remove.....cheap ass imitation. :)

I wish I could have flown a -34 in that kind of condition! Pretty eye opening to see just how hard those little ponies have been ridden since that video was made.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
well i couldnt see the video but good luck..went through UT ROTC myself...i loved the med flight guys talked to some at Chili's on I-35 once. Good dudes and women

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bevo said:
Being an HS pilot is pretty cool too. My squadron has a really tight wardroom, and I really enjoy the helo and the mission that we fly. Gator likes to tease me for "Spreading HS lies", but I am just a guy who has been lucky enough to fly the best helo in the best squadron in the Navy.

Now, now. I've never said you were spreading lies about your community, just about mine. ;)

@Zippy:

Just for the education of all, NACWS hasn't been disabled in the sense that someone turned it off, it's been disabled because the software package isn't compatible w/ the new radar system ATC switched to and now uses. An upgrade is due "soon."

@USFpilot06:

There's a thread or two around here about small deck ops (I think this is one: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12293&highlight=probe) but basically, a probe comes down from the bottom of the helo and you fly the probe into the trap on the deck. The trap is called a RAST system (Recovery Assit, Secure (?), Traverse. Sorry, my Natops is in the other room and I'm too lazy to look it up). Because the -60 (in any form) is too heavy to move by hand (unlike the older H-2), once the probes is in the trap, it allows you to straighten the helo on the deck, then traverse it into the hangar. The system also allows you to attach a cable from the ship to the helo and be winched down (something that can be helpful in rough seas, but is still a scary operation to undertake in weather).

@ElCid:

For HSL, there's usually one enlisted crewman in the back, but depending on the mission, there can be more (there's 3 seats in the back). The HS guys usually fly w/ 2, from what Bevo has told me, regardless of mission. Either way, they all have the rate of AW and are qualified crewman and SAR.

Bevo16

pilot
HS Squadrons fly 2 versions of the 60, and all pilots and aircrew are qualified to fly in both. In the F, we have an ASO (Acoustic Systems Operator) and TSO (Tactical Systems Operator). One of these guys always has his SAR gear with him in case we need to pull someone out of the water and then the jobs will shift to Swimmer & Hoist Operator.

When we fly the H, both crewmen fly as door gunners and can also preform SAR missions.

On our last deployment, we flew with 4 aircremen for our overland missions. 2 gunners and 2 photographers in the back of each each aircraft.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bevo said:
HS Squadrons fly 2 versions of the 60, and all pilots and aircrew are qualified to fly in both. In the F, we have an ASO (Acoustic Systems Operator) and TSO (Tactical Systems Operator). One of these guys always has his SAR gear with him in case we need to pull someone out of the water and then the jobs will shift to Swimmer & Hoist Operator.

When we fly the H, both crewmen fly as door gunners and can also preform SAR missions.

On our last deployment, we flew with 4 aircremen for our overland missions. 2 gunners and 2 photographers in the back of each each aircraft.
How many PAX/rescuees could you fit in back with 4x crewmen in the HH?

Brett

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Pcola04/30 said:
Everybody knows real T-34's don't look like that....where are the sweat stains, the chipped paint, the oil and exhaust stains all over the exterior, not to mention the obviously lacking baked on 16 layers of puke that no amount of cleaning could ever remove.....cheap ass imitation. :)

I wish I could have flown a -34 in that kind of condition! Pretty eye opening to see just how hard those little ponies have been ridden since that video was made.

I find the instrument setup is interesting...obviously pre-GPS addition...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
How many PAX/rescuees could you fit in back with 4x crewmen in the HH?

Brett

Per "the regs" 1 seat = 1 person, 4 PAX/rescuees. You can physically fit more if necessary. A Coast Guard Jayhawk, which has a similar interior to the HH once rescued 26 people. Here is a link.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Bevo said:

Technically, only one of them is a door gunner.:D

Bevo said:

Why two photogs?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HH-60H said:
Per "the regs" 1 seat = 1 person, 4 PAX/rescuees. You can physically fit more if necessary. A Coast Guard Jayhawk, which has a similar interior to the HH once rescued 26 people. Here is a link.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but word on the street is that during Katrina, guys had 17 pax in the back of a Bravo which, obviously, is considerably smaller than a Jayhawk.

HH/Bevo: If only 4 pax/rescuees, how much room is there really for, say, some "special" personnel (since they legally don't need seats)?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
gatordev said:
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but word on the street is that during Katrina, guys had 17 pax in the back of a Bravo which, obviously, is considerably smaller than a Jayhawk.

HH/Bevo: If only 4 pax/rescuees, how much room is there really for, say, some "special" personnel (since they legally don't need seats)?

I'm not too comfortable talking numbers with other stuff (maybe its because of my current non-flying job), but you've got to remember some guys load up with lots of gear. Also, the single door is a very limiting factor when it comes to rapid deployment, and they always want rapid, because helos are loud attention getting pieces of equipment.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Copy all. Oops, I meant to put the standard OPSEC post-script, but forgot.

Bevo16

pilot
HH-60H said:
Technically, only one of them is a door gunner.:D

Why two photogs?

Yea, you spit that hair right down the middle. :tongue2_1 "Window gunner" just does not sound cool though.

We started bringing two photogs because it was a lot easier than having one guy in the back on a gunner's belt jumping from side to side and trying to find the contact of interest, focus, and take the picture in time. With 2, they could keep up with what was coming up on their side and get much better pictures. This helped to keep the U-turns to a minimum, good for obvious reasons.

We also did not want the gunners to waste their time with cameras. It was much better to have all of their focus with what was going on on the ground.

Brett, if a mission was going to involve moving pax from one place to another instead of ISR, the extras would stay back. I don't remember space ever being an issue though. There would have been room if there was need for an overland SAR.