• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviators Missing From Vietnam War Identified

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Related. My stepsister's father was killed piloting a C-123 in Vietnam. Remains were recovered in 1979 and the crew was buried in a common grave at Arlington. ID was verified by dental records. In the last year an office of the USAF is going about collecting DNA from relatives and plan to exhume the remains to compare DNA, and possibly re-inter as separate graves. Some of the family members (not my sister) are rather upset by this procedure, that none of them has requested. What is the USAF interest? Curious.

Renegade One

None
Some of the family members (not my sister) are rather upset by this procedure, that none of them has requested. What is the USAF interest? Curious.
Assume it's "well-intentioned" in order to honor each individually. Pretty sure that if all the crew members' families felt the same…they'd reconsider and leave the "mass grave" alone.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Assume it's "well-intentioned" in order to honor each individually. Pretty sure that if all the crew members' families felt the same…they'd reconsider and leave the "mass grave" alone.
I am glad you put well intentioned in quotes. We all know of well intended government actions that did not generate the results intended. I should hope that the families have some say, but it doesn't appear that way. Most of the crews families have stayed in touch. No one was asked if they approved of this initiative. They have always found some comfort in the fact their career AF loved ones were together as a crew for eternity. There was never a question of the IDs of the crew members. Remains were simply commingled due to crash dynamics and years in the jungle. So now they have DNA technology and by God they are going to use it.

Renegade One

None
I am glad you put well intentioned in quotes. We all know of well intended government actions that did not generate the results intended. I should hope that the families have some say, but it doesn't appear that way. Most of the crews families have stayed in touch. No one was asked if they approved of this initiative. They have always found some comfort in the fact their career AF loved ones were together as a crew for eternity. There was never a question of the IDs of the crew members. Remains were simply commingled due to crash dynamics and years in the jungle. So now they have DNA technology and by God they are going to use it.
Have the families transmitted their common desires to anyone? If not, they should…that's all I'm saying. They could do worse than to just send a "jointly signed letter reflecting the desires of all families" to all of their respective Congressmen.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They haven't gotten that far yet. They are just exchanging emails and copying each other on their comms with the relavent USAF office. I am almost wondering if this doesn't have something to do with cleaning up the mess Arlington had made of so many graves and registration that was in the news months ago.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They haven't gotten that far yet. They are just exchanging emails and copying each other on their comms with the relavent USAF office. I am almost wondering if this doesn't have something to do with cleaning up the mess Arlington had made of so many graves and registration that was in the news months ago.

With the USAF the recent mess at the Dover mortuary might be a factor too.

Renegade One

None
I am almost wondering if this doesn't have something to do with cleaning up the mess Arlington had made of so many graves and registration that was in the news months ago.
With the USAF the recent mess at the Dover mortuary might be a factor too.
Both could be relevant. No argument. Still sounds "well intentioned" to me until the families wade in. Pretty sure their stated desires won't be ignored...

Would anyone really want the "Unknowns" from The Tomb to be disinterred and compared against a national DNA database? Different issue, I know, but you get the idea...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I think that if I took one in with the crew, and our remains were not found for a number of years, I'd prefer for us to be buried together. I think I'd be in pretty good company.
What if you get buried with a real asshole and have to spend eternity with them? That would be a pisser.