• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator -> Special Forces

Big Biff

Got Em
I guess that sounds about right. How long was SOI again? Seemed like 8 weeks but that was 2001. I would feel more comfortable with a 5 year veteran wire bunny type to get a foundation with 03 life before turning them loose with the BRC/MARSOC pipeline. Most support type non-grunts not attached to regiments or divisions haven't had any infantry experience since that 3 week joke known as MCT. Sending everyone through SOI keeps everyone on the same sheet.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I guess that sounds about right. How long was SOI again? Seemed like 8 weeks but that was 2001. I would feel more comfortable with a 5 year veteran wire bunny type to get a foundation with 03 life before turning them loose with the BRC/MARSOC pipeline. Most support type non-grunts not attached to regiments or divisions haven't had any infantry experience since that 3 week joke known as MCT. Sending everyone through SOI keeps everyone on the same sheet.

If you are a water walker at IOC (Infantry Officer Course) you can be sent to a recon company as a platoon commander. No experience necessary. It's happened a few times in the last few years.

SB&P

unlikely you'll get to do both. Some marine pilots come out of their flying tour and do a shore tour as forward air controllers working with infantry, but a MARSOC commander?...naw

JTB7

unlikely you'll get to do both. Some marine pilots come out of their flying tour and do a shore tour as forward air controllers working with infantry, but a MARSOC commander?...naw

Made me think...

If you pick up a billet to be a FAC, can you opt to be a FAC for a recon battalion? Or is it the needs of the Corps? Also, you get the same training as the other recon Marines?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Made me think...

If you pick up a billet to be a FAC, can you opt to be a FAC for a recon battalion? Or is it the needs of the Corps? Also, you get the same training as the other recon Marines?

This is purely based on a sample size of one guy I work with. He FACed for 3rd Recon and he got to go to jump school, but didn't get Amphibious Recon Course or any of the other related schools.

On a related note, I've known a couple guys who FACed for ANGLICO. One got jump qual'ed, one didn't.

Remember that most FAC billets are only 11-18 months long, so they don't often have time to send pilots to the more high-speed schools. Basic Airborne is only about 3 weeks long, if I remember correctly (haven't been), as an example, so it's still possible. SCUBA, Recon course, Ranger, etc, are all much longer.

JTB7

This is purely based on a sample size of one guy I work with. He FACed for 3rd Recon and he got to go to jump school, but didn't get Amphibious Recon Course or any of the other related schools.

On a related note, I've known a couple guys who FACed for ANGLICO. One got jump qual'ed, one didn't.

Remember that most FAC billets are only 11-18 months long, so they don't often have time to send pilots to the more high-speed schools. Basic Airborne is only about 3 weeks long, if I remember correctly (haven't been), as an example, so it's still possible. SCUBA, Recon course, Ranger, etc, are all much longer.

Yeah, I didnt think they would send them to a SCUBA course. But what if they are doing a SCUBA entry and need an FAC?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, I didnt think they would send them to a SCUBA course. But what if they are doing a SCUBA entry and need an FAC?

I'm sure there are some ricky recon types who are JTAC qualled... but I could be wrong.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

SCUBA insertions are pretty rare, and when they do happen, they're very low-key and specialized, e.g. hydrographic and beach reconnaissance. It may have happened at some point, but a Marine unit is rarely going to swim to an objective looking for a fight, which is what you'd need a FAC for. The Corps is into overwhelming firepower when it attacks something, and a few dudes carrying a very small load ain't going to do it.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
I have a couple questions that seem relevant to this thread:

What is the relationship between FAC's and ANGLICO? From the searching I've done, they seem to do the same thing, but I've read that FAC is easy to get, while making ANGLICO is difficult.

Career wise, how are these options looked upon? It seems that the longer you stay away from your primary MOS with long or random B billets, the harder it is to get promoted (and stay in the Corps). I keep reading about "wickets" and am sure I'll get the gouge at flight school or the fleet, but could someone give me a quick overview?

Thanks.

phrogpilot73

What is the relationship between FAC's and ANGLICO? From the searching I've done, they seem to do the same thing, but I've read that FAC is easy to get, while making ANGLICO is difficult.
ANGLICO has FACs, JTACs, NGLOs, and Arty FOs. They're just a really high speed version of a typical battalion FiST team. Getting a FAC tour in ANGLICO is not difficult. Getting a tour in ANGLICO as a non-aviator JTAC is. A lot of aviators don't volunteer for FAC tours - if you want ANGLICO and talk to the right people, you'll get it.

Career wise, how are these options looked upon? It seems that the longer you stay away from your primary MOS with long or random B billets, the harder it is to get promoted (and stay in the Corps). I keep reading about "wickets" and am sure I'll get the gouge at flight school or the fleet, but could someone give me a quick overview?
There's another thread out there about it, but figure it goes something like this: MOS School, first fleet tour, B Billet, payback tour/school and/or back to the fleet, staff tour/B Billet, school, command. More time in your MOS is a good thing - but having a fitrep signed by a grunt CO is looked at favorably by the promotion boards. Provided that he doesn't say that you're a giant D-bag.