• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Naval Aviator Number

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
Question for all you "old-timers" or those in the know. I was doing some research regarding winging numbers. My dad got winged in 1970; his winging number was 29xxx... (I have his winging certificate). This is consistent with my godfather who winged about 6 months later whose winging number is 30xxx.

When I researched mine (from the bottom of my mug) I saw that mine is 29xxx (winged in '07) and my husband's (winged in '05) is 27xxx (have his certificate).

These numbers don't make any sense to me. Should the numbers for my husband and I be WAY bigger (or at least a little bigger) than my dad's number? Did they reset numbers at some point? He was fixed wing, we're both rotary. Is that why?

Any thoughts you have would be great. I was going to make something crafty out of all these numbers and wanted to get them right. Thanks so much in advance. My dad is no longer with us to ask. :-(

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I thought naval aviator numbers were more of helo thing of late. I had heard it was resurrected in the early 2000's. Not much help I know.

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
Thanks Renegade. It looks like, from your second thread, that "sometime" they started helo aviator numbers over at 1, and discontinued issuing numbers for everyone else which is why I'm 900 numbers before my dad but 2,000 after my husband... Makes complete navy sense!

Renegade One

None
Un
Either U or V. I can't tell because its in a "scroll" lettering.
Undoubtedly VICTOR…which meant "heavier than air" in their timeframe (post-1949):

1. In step with the previous decentralized system, the following system was established:

• Chief of Naval Air Training was directed to commence a series of numbers for the foregoing designations as Naval Aviators, (HTA), Number T-1, T-2, T-3, etc.

• Chief of Naval Air Advanced Training is directed to commence a series of numbers for the foregoing designations of Naval Aviators (HTA), Number V-1, V-2, V-3, etc.

• Chief of Naval Airship Training and Experimentation is directed to commence a similar series as Naval Aviators (LTA) using the L series, carrying on from the last number used in this series by the Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station, Lakehurst, N.J.

Last edited:

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
Awesome, thanks. I wish they kept better track of numbers so I could see just how many winging numbers I am behind my dad... oh well.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Awesome, thanks. I wish they kept better track of numbers so I could see just how many winging numbers I am behind my dad... oh well.
NHA has a big book of unrestricted naval aviator names, winging dates, and numbers. It's easy to find it at the annual convention, it'll be laying out on display in one of the booths and you can flip through the pages.