• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator Command

Fallonflyr

pilot
Oh yeah, don't forget the CW5s who command these things.
I flew with a retired Army CWO 5 helo pilot that was in command of one of those things. He got a heavy ship driver Captain ticket out of it. He had the opportunity to be a civilian ship Capt but decided to go Airlines.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my non tailhook opinion, exped Growler seems like the best of both worlds. You get the unique experience of learning to land on the boat and then get per diem.
I know Incirlik was in fashion a few years ago, and I heard Misawa is or was a thing. But in the past, Exped VAQ has also enjoyed such garden spots as PSAB, Al Asad, Bagram, and Al Udied.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why only 3 dollars? ?
In those places, you pretty much stay on base and all of your needs are provided for - meals, lodging, etc. In other deployment locations, you might be responsible for your own meals (I.E. no galley or DFAC), or you might be staying in a hotel. In those cases, per diem may be more.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
In the USMC, a Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) is embarked on amphibious ships that are part of a expeditionary strike group. Expeditionary squadrons on the navy side are land based.

Not always the case. HSC expeditionary basically just means, "not carrier." They do have some land-based dets, but the majority of "expeditionary" HSC pilots will do time on an Amphib, Hospital Ship, LCS, or something else that's not a CVN, and typically not CRUDES.

Last edited:

Meyerkord

pilot
Not the case always. HSC expeditionary basically just means, "not carrier." They do have some land-based dets, but the majority of "expeditionary" HSC pilots will do time on an Amphib, Hospital Ship, LCS, or something else that's not a CVN, and typically not CRUDES.
Thanks for clarifying