• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviations "One" Problem...

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
In all seriousness, all you have to do is go look at the 2024 and proposed future budgets to see that Carrier Aviation (TACAIR) will be a 50/50 Blended Flight Deck of manned/unmanned aircraft in the future and Surface/Subsurface Strike will be increased.
Hmmm… if it’s 50%, asign all UAV squadrons to Lemoore and control them out of San Diego. There, I just solved the Navy’s manning problems. What do I win?

:D

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I deployed on FF-1065 and DDG-52, familiar with the capability differences. You still haven’t addressed the deficit and defense industrial base issue which was the genesis of my comments. Are we good to go? Will current and projected revenues take care of the deficit and all the mandatory/discretionary spending we have coming down the pike? Uni-party talking points aside, I am genuinely interested to hear what ANYONEs ideas are wrt to fixing our industrial base, especially shipbuilding and repair - it’s a complete a shit show.

Yet you still cited having a 600 ship Navy as some sort of strategic peg for success? Numerous threads on structural and regulatory issues facing shipbuilding capacity and solutions, so I won’t beat that dead horse. Go read them.

Your original post purported that the metric above and interest payments exceeding the defense budget were critical issues facing the country. If that is still true, based on my previous post - You should probably be worried more about human capital.

The deficit is simple math. Reduce spending, increase taxes, or a combination of both. Caveat that it needs to be balanced at a rate proportional to the projected growth rate of the economy. Yes, our spending levels relative to GDP change as the economy grows, and also take into account inflation.

As mentioned, CBO predicts the DOD budget to flatline and decrease over the next 10 years. If you read the CBO chart I posted, you’d notice the biggest growth in spending has been with mandatory spending programs. I.e. Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. Any particular reason why? Boomers are retiring and no longer paying into the tax system, and now incurring costs on those programs (Increased spending). The biggest solution to this deficit problem that is often over looked is maximizing labor participation rate and employment. Enhancing trade, vocational, and technical schools in our younger generation and not denigrating the value of a college education (which seems to be in vogue now). Immigration isn’t always a bad thing despite the recent partisan political commentary (because you know those heathens pay taxes, too). More people working = more people paying taxes, and in combination with adjustments to mandatory spending reform - it should do the trick.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
I don’t think anyone reasonable is arguing that NAS Lemoore can realistically go away, but the fact that it’s a “Master Jet Base” with one gate onto ops side, no parking whatsoever (I see younger Enlisted walking 20+ minutes in 110 degree heat in the summer), and a Subway in a double wide and a couple of food trucks for food options is completely laughable. Not to mention that BAH is lagging the cost of living pretty significantly.

None of this stuff is new news, but even as someone who doesn’t completely hate Lemoore, going to places like NASNI and seeing that my peers are 1) living in a better location 2) have better amenities on base, and 3) are getting paid more to do so (in terms of BAH relative to cost of living) can be agitating to say the least. And despite years of gripes there doesn’t seem to be much to show for it.

Agreed with all. Easily the worst accommodations relative to the size of the base of anywhere I’ve been in the DoD. Is it so much to ask for a proper ops side gym? That’s an example (and there are others) of a very fixable problem.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Agreed with all. Easily the worst accommodations relative to the size of the base of anywhere I’ve been in the DoD. Is it so much to ask for a proper ops side gym?
I'm not sure who the Marine general was that snookered the Navy into abandoning Miramar in the 90's, but I thank him.

Glad I was never stationed at MCAS El Centro.

Jokes aside, it seems like the DoD/Congress as a whole needs to step up its game on base infrastructure. Never been to Lemoore, but from the comments it sounds bleak.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Yet you still cited having a 600 ship Navy as some sort of strategic peg for success? Numerous threads on structural and regulatory issues facing shipbuilding capacity and solutions, so I won’t beat that dead horse. Go read them.

Your original post purported that the metric above and interest payments exceeding the defense budget were critical issues facing the country. If that is still true, based on my previous post - You should probably be worried more about human capital.

The deficit is simple math. Reduce spending, increase taxes, or a combination of both. Caveat that it needs to be balanced at a rate proportional to the projected growth rate of the economy. Yes, our spending levels relative to GDP change as the economy grows, and also take into account inflation.

As mentioned, CBO predicts the DOD budget to flatline and decrease over the next 10 years. If you read the CBO chart I posted, you’d notice the biggest growth in spending has been with mandatory spending programs. I.e. Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. Any particular reason why? Boomers are retiring and no longer paying into the tax system, and now incurring costs on those programs (Increased spending). The biggest solution to this deficit problem that is often over looked is maximizing labor participation rate and employment. Enhancing trade, vocational, and technical schools in our younger generation and not denigrating the value of a college education (which seems to be in vogue now). Immigration isn’t always a bad thing despite the recent partisan political commentary (because you know those heathens pay taxes, too). More people working = more people paying taxes, and in combination with adjustments to mandatory spending reform - it should do the trick.
So, your assertion that fixing the human capital problem should be our #1 focus as a nation right now and will make substantive contributions to labor force numbers, taxes, debt & deficits? Are you satisfied that the manner in which we are conducting immigration policy in this country is appropriate and necessary?

Why are you so angry at Boomers? :)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure who the Marine general was that snookered the Navy into abandoning Miramar in the 90's, but I thank him.

Jokes aside, it seems like the DoD/Congress as a whole needs to step up its game on base infrastructure. Never been to Lemoore, but from the comments it sounds bleak.
Now…El Toro was quite a nice place.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot

29 is actually a decent counterexample. It’s obviously a hellscape but there’s ample on base food options and world class gym facilities. Good example of what a little investment can do to make a place a lot more livable

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
29 is actually a decent counterexample. It’s obviously a hellscape but there’s ample on base food options and world class gym facilities. Good example of what a little investment can do to make a place a lot more livable
I've only been there on pre-employment workups, like most. Great training environment, especially when alcohol was allowed in the huts...

I do remember stories of dudes with families planning their PCS drives onto base at night...bc that's a long drive into nothing, and didn't want their wife to cry.

It's just like any change though. Some dudes get into the desert lifestyle.

It's still SoCal baby!

Meyerkord

pilot
That's what the Trition program is doing - controlling out of NAS Jax, deployed (currently) in Guam and very soon Sigonella.
This is probably a dumb question because I know literally nothing about UAV… do they need someone in the local area to control the UAV for more “dynamic” parts of flight like takeoff/landing/maneuvering due to latency from being half way across the world? Or can it truly be done 100% remote?