• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval aviation

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have already talked to some guys out of NAS Pensacola
Flight students, or flight Docs at NAMI?
years of waiver bureaucracy
That's not a thing.
I am gonna have to get prescription/medical records for the past 7+ and have them scrutinized
Oh noes! Seriously, dude. You already sound like someone I don't want in my Readyroom.
keep my mouth shut if it was a one time thing, and they will never know, but that rubs me the wrong way.
Wait, I thought you had concerns about what's in your medical records in the past 7+ years. What's this "one time thing" you're talking about?

Thanks for posting, frankly, as you're exhibit A for why individual applicants are the worst possible people to assess themselves and their various physiological conditions with respect to eligibility for aviation programs. If you've talked yourself into a position where you fee like you have to commit fraud to pass the accessions physical process, go work for Microsoft. I don't want you on my wing, or in my command. You've already failed the test.

DeltaV

Wait, I thought you had concerns about what's in your medical records in the past 7+ years. What's this "one time thing" you're talking about?

The non-issues like anti-biotics, the antiemetic for nausea when I was 12, etc. every time I have been to the doctor in my 21 yrs. I have been told MEPS makes issues out of nonissues. And NAMI is even worse.

Flight students, or flight Docs at NAMI?

SNAs and NAs, both, and they subsequently asked their flight docs and got back to me.

What's this "one time thing" you're talking about?

Yes, the one time I was tricked by a doctor into thinking I had a mental illness for that sweet insurance money.

Thanks for posting, frankly, as you're exhibit A for why individual applicants are the worst possible people to assess themselves and their various physiological conditions with respect to eligibility for aviation programs.

Agreed, however you don't need to go to med school to read the NAMI waiver guide and gather information from other distinguished aviators as how shit works in NavyLand.

Regardless, thanks for the time and for the warm welcome.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
how shit works in NavyLand.
Yes, please tell us more about your extreme Naval Aviation knowledges. Seriously, dude. If you're not willing to take some advice from people who have been doing this longer than you've been alive, then I don't know what to tell you. You're operating under a dozen bad assumptions. What was it, exactly, that you were hoping to get out of this site with your post?

DeltaV

Yes, please tell us more about your extreme Naval Aviation knowledges. Seriously, dude. If you're not willing to take some advice from people who have been doing this longer than you've been alive, then I don't know what to tell you. You're operating under a dozen bad assumptions. What was it, exactly, that you were hoping to get out of this site with your post?

No man, I get that you do this for a living, I'm just telling you what I have heard. Its extremely hard to get accurate information from the outside anyways, as everyone always says its "case-by-case" or "lie to fly".

If you've talked yourself into a position where you fee like you have to commit fraud to pass the accessions physical process

My exact reason for this post was to literally acknowledge that I am not willing to commit fraud to pass ,don't think I don't have integrity. I just wish I wasn't looked at like I am a risk of it happening again, hurting someone or hurting myself because of a bad few months and a misdiagnosis in college. (or however the navy looks at it)

Someone once told me "men don't care about what's fair and not fair", but goddamn it is not fair.

Until its time to get my ducks in a row, I'm going to focus on filling out a "request to amend medical records and health information" form at that clinic and unfucking myself.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
No man, I get that you do this for a living, I'm just telling you what I have heard. Its extremely hard to get accurate information from the outside anyways, as everyone always says its "case-by-case" or "lie to fly".

My exact reason for this post was to literally acknowledge that I am not willing to commit fraud to pass ,don't think I don't have integrity. I just wish I wasn't looked at like I am a risk of it happening again, hurting someone or hurting myself because of a bad few months and a misdiagnosis in college. (or however the navy looks at it)

Someone once told me "men don't care about what's fair and not fair", but goddamn it is not fair.

Until its time to get my ducks in a row, I'm going to focus on filling out a "request to amend medical records and health information" form at that clinic and unfucking myself.
Disregard Brett. Be honest and play the game.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Granted, but in a military context, the mental health folks are either looking for a quick fix to get the individual back in the game, or find cause to medically DQ them... just like a flight doc would. So the military mental health system isn't designed for people with chronic mental health issues, as that's typically not compatible with military service. That's a very different model than you'd find in a civilian clinical environment.

Valid, but the the person I was talking to the other day was at a civilian doc. It happens there, too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Be honest and play the game.

This. It's a process, but let it work itself out and then see what happens.

I was diagnised with a condition that was CD, No Waiver (incorrectly). Nobody lied, but working through the (annoying) NAMI process and having a doc that was willing to rediagnose after some time, I was granted a waiver for something completely different and moved on. It is possible with time.

That sounds like a plan. If this is something you want, don't give up until you're actually told no by the people that have the authority to do so. And even then, it can help to ask twice.

Wareal

Contributor
As my first post ever on this forum I will say this, I am a 21 year old Aero Eng student 3.4 gpa graduating in 2022. As a freshman in college I was having trouble adjusting to living away from home for the first time. Went to a shrink reluctantly because my mother asked me to. The shrink then asked me to go to a psychiatrist at the school clinic. Within that same week, I sat down for 15 minutes with a nurse practitioner and walked out with Lexapro.

They kept me on that shit for 7 months until I wanted out. Nobody even addressed my problems, just gave me fucking pills. And because I was an 18 year old kid who didn't know shit, I went with it without asking questions or standing up for myself because I thought I had to. They made me think I had a mental illness for being homesick and adjusting to a completely new lifestyle and intimidating surroundings as a brand new adult.

After all, "who am I to second guess a medical professional" I thought in my new adulthood mindset.

Now I am fucked for anything Military/Aviation unless I lie. Which I am not gonna do. Its eating me alive.

Perfectly healthy otherwise.

Makes me never want to go to a doctor again tbh.

"Now I am fucked for anything Military/Aviation.." What you do with your life won't ever work out unless you give it your best effort. Be frustrated, but, why quit before you try? There are two winged aviators in my immediate family (and many others I'm sure) that pushed heavier rocks up steeper hills. But what do I know? I'm an old man yelling at the clouds:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
NAMI really hates it and my chances are slim. I have already talked to some guys out of NAS Pensacola and they all say the same shit I just posted. They all say it will be years of waiver bureaucracy and still being denied at MEPS, and definitely at NAMI if I even get that far.

Also I am gonna have to get prescription/medical records for the past 7+ and have them scrutinized, and who knows what can of worms that will open. I don't know if its worth going through the recruiting process, MEPS, OCS, just to get whammied and have to re designate to something I have no interest in.

I think what really bothers me is that everyone I have talked to currently in the navy (including winged aviators) are telling me to keep my mouth shut if it was a one time thing, and they will never know, but that rubs me the wrong way. It would be so easy.

moral of the story: don't go to the doctor unless you are close to flatlining

You miss 100% of the balls you don't swing at. Now, I'm not an aviator, but I ran into issues in my medical record as an officer recruit and my OR said MEPS would fail me and I would be done. My OR was able to bypass MEPS and took me directly to Bethesda where the nice Drs cleared me for a commission. All that to say, for those that really want it there are ways forward. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

villo0692

@DeltaV everyone here's offering a word of encouragement for you to try, and look at the wings under their usernames, and how long have they been members here. Some of them are high ranking officers in the Navy already, so how about you start with some respect. Moreover, it does seem that you're being quite self defeating already; there's a guy in the May board for pilot and nfo who literally had an open femur fracture, and dude's still going to go until he's told NO, and then he's probably going to try again. stop complaining so much about it, it honestly seems like you came here to do nothing but rant about how unfair you think things are. Keep on going with the process, don't lie, and you might be surprised how far it takes you

good luck

DeltaV

so how about you start with some respect

I have nothing but respect, sorry if it was perceived differently. I'm just trying to iterate how worrisome it is to be in a precarious situation, and receive mixed messages as to my best course of action from people going through the pipeline.

That sounds like a plan.

If I were to get my old quack psych APRN to change the records via the amendment process, do I still have to report the old diagnosis? At that point, I think it becomes more of an moral dilemma than an ethical one. I would not be lying because I no longer have the diagnosis of the specific condition on record, but I have been told not to volunteer info that's irrelevant to my health upon joining or I am in for a years long headache of finding retired doctors.

My OR was able to bypass MEPS and took me directly to Bethesda where the nice Drs cleared me for a commission

how is this possible? I have never heard of this, thought everyone went to MEPs

Disregard Brett. Be honest and play the game.

He seems like he would be an excellent aviator/leader, but a bad guy to have a beer with.

Regardless, the very mention that its a "game" implies bureaucracy and red tape shit. Can you elaborate?

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I have nothing but respect, sorry if it was perceived differently. I'm just trying to iterate how worrisome it is to be in a precarious situation, and receive mixed messages as to my best course of action from people going through the pipeline.

If I were to get my old quack psych APRN to change the records via the amendment process, do I still have to report the old diagnosis? At that point, I think it becomes more of an ethical dilemma than a moral one. I would not be lying because I no longer have the diagnosis of the specific condition on record, but I have been told not to volunteer info that's irrelevant to my health upon joining or I am in for a years long headache of finding retired doctors.

how is this possible? I have never heard of this, thought everyone went to MEPs

He seems like he would be an excellent aviator/leader, but a bad guy to have a beer with!

Regardless, the very mention that its a "game" implies bureaucracy and red tape shit. Can you elaborate?

Not in my case. I guess it helped I live in MD, although nowhere near Bethesda, but I sacrificed many hours of driving to and from the medical center to meet with various doctors and check all medical boxes. I guess it helps to be a "local".

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
He seems like he would be an excellent aviator/leader, but a bad guy to have a beer with.

Didn't you say you were 21?

When I was that age in college, I'm pretty sure I'd have a beer with anyone buying, yet not be in the position to evaluate their attributes as an aviator, or a leader.