• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviation Planning?

NavyDad82

Is their a public domain site that has naval aviations' strategic plan available? The Marines' post their aviation plan with numbers of aircraft, numbers of pilots, nfo's, aircrew and squadrons.

Renegade One

None
Is their a public domain site that has naval aviations' strategic plan available? The Marines' post their aviation plan with numbers of aircraft, numbers of pilots, nfo's, aircrew and squadrons.
Why would you ask, NavyDad? Do you have a particular concern? How can we help?

NavyDad82

Just curious. Saw the indepth Marine plan from a few years back and wondered if Navy did the same. I have a son in the pipeline and visited PCola at Thanksgiving for the first time in 15 years. Lots of change...lots still the same. Old hangars on the waterfront were all gone. Navy has invested a lot of capital expansion money on the base; the aircrew/A & C School area is impressive. Wondering how many sna, snfo and aircrew cycle thru Pensacola annually. Curious how many USAF folks get cycled thru PCola annually as well. USMC plan was very detailed (posted by HueyCobra8151), so I have no questions there. I understand organizations by looking at strategic plans, balance sheets, income statements and cash flows! My business school training enhanced my natural curiosity for how complex systems work.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately the Navy doesn't seem to put out a similar product as the Marines, kudos to them for doing it and bad on the Navy for not.

Renegade One

None
Just curious. Wondering how many sna, snfo ... cycle thru Pensacola annually.
All?
I have a son in the pipeline and visited PCola at Thanksgiving for the first time in 15 years. Lots of change...lots still the same. Old hangars on the waterfront were all gone. Navy has invested a lot of capital expansion money on the base; the aircrew/A & C School area is impressive.
Congrats about the son…nice!
I understand organizations by looking at strategic plans, balance sheets, income statements and cash flows! My business school training enhanced my natural curiosity for how complex systems work.
Well, you and the son may continue to be frustrated…Most kids do well and get winged…a few don't for many various reasons. It took me probably 20-25 years of active service before I ever gave two hoots about strategic plans, balance sheets, income statements and cash flows. I just rode the waves. Call me stupid…you wouldn't be the first.

haimehhh

Here are some numbers from the Chief of Naval Air Training website (dated in one paragraph as 2013, so please take that into context):

Home Page: "Naval Aviator and Naval Flight Officer (NFO) training and production is conducted by 17 TRACOM squadrons aligned under five Training Air Wings located at five naval air stations in the southeastern United States. This training involves over 700 TRACOM aircraft flying over 290,000 annual flight hours with an annual budget in excess of $600 million. CNATRA’s aircraft inventory and annual flight hours make up just under a fifth of the Navy’s total aircraft and over a third of its annual flight hours. Over 13,000 instructor pilots and NFOs – active duty and reserves – from the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard use these aircraft, flight hours and budget combined with simulators, classrooms, and other training media to produce and graduate more than 1,100 pilots and NFOs each year."​
----------------------------------
CNATRA Mission: "The Mission of Naval Air Training Command is to train the world's finest combat quality aviation professionals, delivering them at the right time, in the right numbers, and at the right cost to a Naval Force that is where it matters, when it matters.

Headquartered on board NAS Corpus Christi, Texas, Chief of Naval Air Training (CNATRA) leads the Naval Air Training Command (NATRACOM) composed of five Training Air Wings located on Naval Air Stations in Florida, Mississippi and Texas. The wings are home to 16 Training Squadrons.

In 2013, our 735 aircraft logged 254,256 flight hours, nearly a quarter of the Department of the Navy total. To put those numbers in perspective, we flew 28% of the combined Navy and Marine Corps flight hours with 19% of the aircraft. In that same time more than 1,142 pilots, Naval Flight Officers (NFO) and Aircrewmen earned their “Wings of Gold”."​
----------------------------------

It should also be noted, if not already present on this site, that this link from CNATRA is possibly one of the most comprehensive overviews of the SNA/NFO training process– assuming that it is still current. Could potentially be a required read for all new SNA/NFO hopeful forum members (would have saved me from asking a few stupid questions).

R/,
James

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I've heard, the new UMFO syllabus at Wing Six (mentioned at the end of that CNATRA link) is up and running, with the MCS syllabus for Heavies/E-2 students. That's a big change in the syllabus. I'm curious how it's shaking out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm struggling with the "13,000 instructors" number, especially when throughput is only 1,100 studs. If you assume 60 IPs per squadron (which is probably high for some squadrons), that's 216 training squadrons. I think someone may have been over-zealous with the zeros.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I've heard, the new UMFO syllabus at Wing Six (mentioned at the end of that CNATRA link) is up and running, with the MCS syllabus for Heavies/E-2 students. That's a big change in the syllabus. I'm curious how it's shaking out.

The first class of UMFOs from VT-4 just winged a couple weeks ago I know.