• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviation, No Comms?

In a Naval Aviation brief I saw this "No comms will be made over ICS or the Radios during PC or Final checks, all comms will wait until after we get the thumbs up from the PCs"

Why is that? Safety reason, fire hazard, plane captain under the aircraft...?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Depends on the platform but my guess is that you’re using an ice switch or keying the radio and that could cause inadvertent control movement. In the case of radios, could be radiation hazard close to an antenna.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
At least in Primary you keep your hands visible above the canopy whenever there is a lineman under the plane (i.e. connecting the external power or pulling the chocks) but when you're actually doing your checks on the speed brake, flaps, and brakes with the lineman you're actively calling out the checklist items over ICS.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
And you’re on hot mic so it doesn’t really matter if you talk over ICS.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
In a Naval Aviation brief I saw this "No comms will be made over ICS or the Radios during PC or Final checks, all comms will wait until after we get the thumbs up from the PCs"

Completely platform/crewstation dependent

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

Typically in fighter aircraft your hands remain above the canopy rail any time someone is under/around your flight control surfaces. Considering all the comm switches are on the throttles, you can't really make any comms anyway.

If it's really confusing, just make sure you go single seat. Your life will be better for many reasons, not just this.

sickboy

pilot

Never heard of this.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Typically in fighter aircraft your hands remain above the canopy rail any time someone is under/around your flight control surfaces. Considering all the comm switches are on the throttles, you can't really make any comms anyway.

If it's really confusing, just make sure you go single seat. Your life will be better for many reasons, not just this.

While I can get on board with some double anchor hate, all I have heard/seen from single seat life is misery. Is it not worth having some NFOs to alleviate the burden of ground jobs? Also, they talk on radios...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I can get on board with some double anchor hate, all I have heard/seen from single seat life is misery. Is it not worth having some NFOs to alleviate the burden of ground jobs? Also, they talk on radios...
"Hey, here's someone who can make your life easier and maybe keep you from making an ass of yourself!" "Meh, fuck that guy."

#SingleSeatLogic

Python

pilot
Contributor
One of them is no one else in the cockpit to make fun of you for taking sweet pilot avatar selfies.

Everyone takes selfies.

Relieving the ground burden is the ONLY potential positive I have seen. And I haven’t seen any of the misery you speak of. Also, talking on the radios is not only easy, but enjoyable.

"Hey, here's someone who can make your life easier and maybe keep you from making an ass of yourself!" "Meh, fuck that guy."

#SingleSeatLogic

I guess that’s one way someone could look at it. Or a skewed oversimplification.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
OP is your profile picture anything specific? Can’t tell if it is a golf course or a cross country ditch...