• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Naval Aviation and UAVs

lthc34

So, I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm a sophomore in high school and applied for the NROTC program in hopes of becoming a naval aviator. If I do get a letter back, I want to make sure this is the right decision. I heard the F-35 is going to be the last manned aircraft in the Navy. Is this true? If so, assuming I got accepted into the program, and passed, would I have more of a chance of getting assigned to a UAV rather than a fighter like the F-35? Or is that just for enlisted? If I do make it through, I want to make sure I get anything but a UAV, but I'm skeptical... Based on the influx of UAVs right now, and apparently the last manned aircraft for the Navy, what are my odds of not getting an unmanned vehicle?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm a sophomore in high school and applied for the NROTC program in hopes of becoming a naval aviator. If I do get a letter back, I want to make sure this is the right decision. I heard the F-35 is going to be the last manned aircraft in the Navy. Is this true? If so, assuming I got accepted into the program, and passed, would I have more of a chance of getting assigned to a UAV rather than a fighter like the F-35? Or is that just for enlisted? If I do make it through, I want to make sure I get anything but a UAV, but I'm skeptical... Based on the influx of UAVs right now, and apparently the last manned aircraft for the Navy, what are my odds of not getting an unmanned vehicle?

Naval Aviators all fly manned aircraft in their initial tours, some 'fly' UAV's in subsequent tours but they are a tiny minority (probably less than 1%) and that will not grow a whole lot over the next decade. We operate only a fraction of the UAV's that the USAF and Army fly and that is unlikely to change anytime soon either. Don't worry about it, in the Navy at least it'll likely be a very long time (past your time) before the our new robot overlords take over.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The Marine Corps has UAVs. We're staffed about 50/50 with regard to traditionally winged Pilots/NFOs and the newer UAV homegrown guys. No one has been forced here (the winged guys have asked for it, for better or worse) so you don't have to worry about that if you take the Marine option.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You think I'll be able to get a fighter?

Sure, barring any physical issues you could get anything you want but be aware aviators who fly fighter-attack aircraft constitute much less than half of all Naval Aviators (don't know the percentage and I don't think anyone here does).

And don't ask what your chances are, it is an unanswerable question and changes every other week anyways.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
Based on the influx of UAVs right now, and apparently the last manned aircraft for the Navy, what are my odds of not getting an unmanned vehicle?

I don't think that the F35 will be the last manned aircraft. Just the opinion of a former Navy/MC UAS Program Manager.

In 8-9 years when you graduate from flight school, the Navy and/or Marine Corps will still be flying F-35, SuperHornet, Growler, E2, H60, P8, H53, C130, MV-22, etc etc etc. Plenty of opportunity. Yep, after one's first 3 year squadron tour and shore tour, a few Navy might be detailed to fly and manage Triton platforms and their systems, and the VTUAVs. Marines are flying Shadows and Blackjacks and at my time in the saddle, rated pilots or NFOs were managing those operations too.

You didn't ask but if you want to fly then you want to improve your odds of a NROTC scholarship: take all of the math and science you can, mostly As and a few Bs, stay "good" busy at school but if work has to take priority for family/personal reasons - no worries, nail the SAT or ACT...then keep up your academic performance during college. Just say "NO!" to the free trip to DC to visit the Nuke bubbas (if they still do that)!

But seriously...
I'd recommend taking the time to search through the forum for this information on your own-all of the information you are asking for is here in someplace or other on the site already(Hence 'silkies'). As a Navy Option MIDN in an NROTC unit, Navy options have slightly higher academic standards with more focus on Tier 1(STEM-focused) Majors and less demanding physical requirements. Marine Options tend to get yelled at more, do their own Field training EXerscises(FEXs) and go on Marine focused summer cruises. Gouge at the unit level is that GPA is a lot less important in terms of going where you want for Marines than it is for Navy. Also, Marine Options can get a guaranteed flight contract in NROTC, while Navy Options cannot. And their PT gear looks less atrocious.
In terms of the UCAV thing, there are a lot more pressing things to worry about. Focus more on deciding whether or not you want to be a Naval Officer, and if you do, doing your best to maximize your chances of getting selected for the aviation pipeline. At the end of the day, nobody can say for sure what the chances of you flying a UCAV are because the procurement process and aviation manning needs of the Navy 8-9 years from now when you are assigned a platform are inherently unpredictable.

Renegade One

None
And their PT gear looks less atrocious.
Does not…
kilmer.jpg

lthc34

I'd recommend taking the time to search through the forum for this information on your own-all of the information you are asking for is here in someplace or other on the site already(Hence 'silkies'). As a Navy Option MIDN in an NROTC unit, Navy options have slightly higher academic standards with more focus on Tier 1(STEM-focused) Majors and less demanding physical requirements. Marine Options tend to get yelled at more, do their own Field training EXerscises(FEXs) and go on Marine focused summer cruises. Gouge at the unit level is that GPA is a lot less important in terms of going where you want for Marines than it is for Navy. Also, Marine Options can get a guaranteed flight contract in NROTC, while Navy Options cannot. And their PT gear looks less atrocious.
In terms of the UCAV thing, there are a lot more pressing things to worry about. Focus more on deciding whether or not you want to be a Naval Officer, and if you do, doing your best to maximize your chances of getting selected for the aviation pipeline. At the end of the day, nobody can say for sure what the chances of you flying a UCAV are because the procurement process and aviation manning needs of the Navy 8-9 years from now when you are assigned a platform are inherently unpredictable.
How would I be able to get a guaranteed flight contract through NROTC?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Naval Aviators all fly manned aircraft in their initial tours, some 'fly' UAV's in subsequent tours but they are a tiny minority (probably less than 1%) and that will not grow a whole lot over the next decade. We operate only a fraction of the UAV's that the USAF and Army fly and that is unlikely to change anytime soon either. Don't worry about it, in the Navy at least it'll likely be a very long time (past your time) before the our new robot overlords take over.
Some Naval Aviators fly manned and unmanned aircraft during their fleet tours. HSC dets to LCSs are deploying with MQ-8s. The four det pilots and AWs fly both the H-60 and the 8Bs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some Naval Aviators fly manned and unmanned aircraft during their fleet tours. HSC dets to LCSs are deploying with MQ-8s. The four det pilots and AWs fly both the H-60 and the 8Bs.

They still fly manned aircraft though, big difference from the other services.