• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aircrewman to Army Flying Warrant

Jacob.09

AWO1
I'm currently enlisted in the navy as an aircrewman, 7 years in now. I recently re-enlisted for 5 years, and shortly after decided that all I would like to do is fly helicopters for the Army. I realize that with this re-enlistment, it may be very difficult to receive a conditional release from the Navy. I've done a fair amount of research, but haven't taken any steps towards my goal yet, apart from studying and reaching out to people who know others who went down this same route. If anyone has any tips or other information they would be willing to share it would be greatly appreciated!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps times have changed, and others here will know better, but in my day getting accepted to any officer (warrant or commission) program pretty much meant an automatic release. Good luck in your pursuit.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm currently enlisted in the navy as an aircrewman, 7 years in now. I recently re-enlisted for 5 years, and shortly after decided that all I would like to do is fly helicopters for the Army. I realize that with this re-enlistment, it may be very difficult to receive a conditional release from the Navy. I've done a fair amount of research, but haven't taken any steps towards my goal yet, apart from studying and reaching out to people who know others who went down this same route. If anyone has any tips or other information they would be willing to share it would be greatly appreciated!

Talk to the ECM and see if they'll entertain releasing you. Go from there.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Perhaps times have changed, and others here will know better, but in my day getting accepted to any officer (warrant or commission) program pretty much meant an automatic release. Good luck in your pursuit.

If the OP was staying Navy... sure. But with all the crazy retention measures going on right now, I can imagine it'll be very difficult letting folks go who have yet to fulfill their obligation.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If the OP was staying Navy... sure. But with all the crazy retention measures going on right now, I can imagine it'll be very difficult letting folks go who have yet to fulfill their obligation.
Good point, I knew someone with more recent experience would chime in.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good vibes coming from me. After reading the thread title and glancing at your rate all I thought was WO-1. Thought you were on your way and YOU were offering assistance on the path. Hope I am more prescient than I am a comprehensive reader. :)

Jacob.09

AWO1
Thats what I'm worried about. From what I've been told it's possible no matter what. It just depends on where you are in your career.

Jacob.09

AWO1
Did you receive any bonus, that could factor into the ECM's decision.
I received a fairly substantial bonus due to the fact that my specific job is severely undermanned right now. From what I've been told, I can still possibly get released from the Navy early, however they would take back a good chunk of the bonus depending on how much of the service obligation I've completed.

exNavyOffRec

I received a fairly substantial bonus due to the fact that my specific job is severely undermanned right now. From what I've been told, I can still possibly get released from the Navy early, however they would take back a good chunk of the bonus depending on how much of the service obligation I've completed.
They generally will indeed take back the amount for which you haven't served.

It used to be a rubber stamp for someone selected for officer programs, nuke often have to be within 1 year of EAOS, so see what the ECM says considering you are in a severely undermanned rate.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Oof, this isn’t helping your chances.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
You’ve been in for seven, re-enlisted for five more, which, assuming you joined at 18, puts you around 30 at the end of your commitment. I think the upper limit for Army warrant pilot is 33.

I can’t speak to the odds of the Navy letting you out early. Assuming they won’t, I’d recommend you use the next five years to get your bachelor’s degree to help improve your application package. It may happen a few years later but if it’s something you really want to do your timing still works for Army warrant.

Jacob.09

AWO1
I also heard something about the Army not wanting applicants in this program who have served more than 8 years active duty. Has anyone heard of this as well?

villo0692

I also heard something about the Army not wanting applicants in this program who have served more than 8 years active duty. Has anyone heard of this as well?
Before I went to Navy OCS, I meandered in the army recruiter’s office and they flat out told me that I was too old to do WOFT, (I was 27 at the time), but I think its because they just wanted me to enlist