• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aircraft and AOA

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those of a certain year group range will recall a certain . . . umm . . . boisterous Meridian sim instructor who was also a SELRES IP until he retired as an O-6. He apparently was an OCF god in the T-2, and still gave the initial academic lectures on the T-45 departure modes when I went through. I can't remember which departure he was describing (that NATOPS penguin has long left the iceberg), but it was the last one in the FTI, and he was using a sheet metal T-45 model to lecture with. So he describes the control inputs and says something to the effect of "and that will basically make the jet do this . . ." and chucks the model across the classroom. ?

RandomGoat1248

Those of a certain year group range will recall a certain . . . umm . . . boisterous Meridian sim instructor who was also a SELRES IP until he retired as an O-6. He apparently was an OCF god in the T-2, and still gave the initial academic lectures on the T-45 departure modes when I went through. I can't remember which departure he was describing (that NATOPS penguin has long left the iceberg), but it was the last one in the FTI, and he was using a sheet metal T-45 model to lecture with. So he describes the control inputs and says something to the effect of "and that will basically make the jet do this . . ." and chucks the model across the classroom. ?
Does the name rhyme with Yeller?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I used to make a paper airplane in the briefing spaces to illustrate the "controls neutral" concept of OCF recovery (again, as far as the T-6, they built it with disproportionately large tail feathers for this express reason), although I didn't throw it across the room. I'd also google "lawn darts" to help illustrate it, while rubbing it in to the stud that he or she was born too late and missed out on some pretty awesome toys... also the first google images picture to come up was usually a crying kid with a lawn dart stuck in his shoulder. It was as if google was encouraging me and my teaching style.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chip lights were pretty uncommon in the T-6 (it's got the "big" PT6, not the small or medium one) and I can only think of one IP who had one (on a night fam no less) although I'm sure there have been more. I figured the tail slide prohibition was because of what the air loads did to the elevator and rudder, but I can see how the committee would have got it in the book from day one because of T-34 corporate knowledge. Oddly, extended flight going straight up or straight down (i.e. vertical rolls) isn't explicitly prohibited, and the airplane certainly has enough smash to do it- I always thought of that as being very bad for the oil system. The oil pickup needs at least a little G, either positive or negative but at least some, or the engine won't get any oil. We'd occasionally set off the low oil pressure warning (not just the mere caution) by bunting too hard out of a spin recovery... that tells you a lot about respecting the limitations of the oil system.

They weren't particularly common in the T-34 either, but some number greater than 0. But that's why it was noticed all of a sudden when there was an uptick. The limits were 15s for nose up and inverted, but 3s for nose down and knife edge. I think the issue was as the nose fell through the departure (either down or inverted), the gearbox is living in some sort of near-zero g state, plus the "prolonged" nose high state at full power (although it doesn't last long). I believe the coupling of the two was believed to be causing the issue.

The limit for zero-g was "transient," so the zero-airspeed departure was considered legal by JOPA since the nose falling wasn't prolonged, but apparently it was long enough.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

hah, I was after his SELRES years, but I have heard that he was actually awesome to go on the road with when he was flying. I'd tend to believe that. If you learned to just make him laugh, all those sims got a whole lot less painful. He was definitely there to teach, but you kind of had to prove to him that his aggressive pressure mindset wasn't getting to you first. Which was a teaching moment in of itself of course. In hindsight, as painful as it was, I'm glad I had that experience of him and some of the other "horsemen". I don't know if they are getting that anymore, which is a shame.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hah, I was after his SELRES years, but I have heard that he was actually awesome to go on the road with when he was flying. I'd tend to believe that. If you learned to just make him laugh, all those sims got a whole lot less painful. He was definitely there to teach, but you kind of had to prove to him that his aggressive pressure mindset wasn't getting to you first. Which was a teaching moment in of itself of course. In hindsight, as painful as it was, I'm glad I had that experience of him and some of the other "horsemen". I don't know if they are getting that anymore, which is a shame.
Agreed. I never got to fly with him, though he was a SELRES in my time. Everyone talked about how different he was in the jet than the sim, and the studentry of my time just assumed his sim persona was an act and a training aid that he deliberately put on when needed. But all that aside, in or out of the sim, he was definitely the type of larger-than-life loudmouth who could dominate a room.

I did run into him in my second trip through Meridian sims. They wouldn't let him teach NFO studs, but he had a student he was picking up in the sim building's student ready room while I was waiting on my instructor. He looked right at me, kind of smiled, and said "heard you were back!" :D

But the first time I rolled into the groove behind Mom, I realized why all the "horsemen" did what they did. They all wanted you to succeed IF you could hack it, and would teach you, but they didn't want to pass someone along who couldn't handle stress.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
what are you guys talking about punctuation? I've never even heard of that......as in during an oral recital? I've heard of getting the wording/abbreviations verbatim during a unit eval written IAE, but even then, I haven't heard of punctuation police

normal written exams have been littered with abbreviations such as "EOGR-Pull", "FLAE-Push", "FERL-Push", "EBHPTD (if req'd)" for at least as long as I have been around......it is annoying AF to write the same sentence over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
Y'all can still use abbreviations? We haven't been able to use abbreviations in VAQ-land since I transitioned to the Growler back in 2015.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Y'all can still use abbreviations? We haven't been able to use abbreviations in VAQ-land since I transitioned to the Growler back in 2015.
VAQ attempted to go with abbreviations a few years ago, but that was stopped in an effort to be more "standardized" with Lemoore.

HuggyU2

None
Stalling a 717 looks fun
Not with that pilot flying it, nor with a co-piglet like that.

1. I'm sure there's something I'm missing... but that appears to be a piss poor nose low recovery. I mean really bad. Can we delay a little longer? Or maybe get the power back and the speed brakes out faster than 7+ seconds? OK, how about simply rolling in the shorter direction to wings level? No? Ok... just do what you did. Wait... you briefed this up, and it wasn't "unexpected"... right?

2. What is up with the guy in the right seat wanting to keep touching the left-seater's arm? Kind of creepy... and I would be getting a new co-piglet for my next hop.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

1. I'm sure there's something I'm missing... but that appears to be a piss poor nose low recovery. I mean really bad. Can we delay a little longer? Or maybe get the power back and the speed brakes out faster than 7+ seconds? OK, how about simply rolling in the shorter direction to wings level? No? Ok... just do what you did. Wait... you briefed this up, and it wasn't "unexpected"... right?

2. What is up with the guy in the right seat wanting to keep touching the left-seater's arm? Kind of creepy... and I would be getting a new co-piglet for my next hop.

split s through is not the preferred recovery techcedure?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
VAQ attempted to go with abbreviations a few years ago, but that was stopped in an effort to be more "standardized" with Lemoore.
450px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Treetop Flyer

pilot

I don’t know the story there but I’d assume that wasn’t planned to go down like that. I feel like I’ve done better in the sim after briefing it up but if I was caught by surprise by something like that I’d be happy just to survive unsoiled