• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aircraft and AOA

taxi1

pilot
Can confirm, T-6 has an observable phugoid mode, as do most conventionally stable airplanes,
Did you guys note the constant AOA in the manuever? I assume you did in nerd pilot school. Could be minorly illuminating in Primary land.

By the way, if your hands are busy you can get the copilot to grab the shaft for you.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
@taxi1 yes there's a phugoid and I would show it to my students, but I didn't point out the AoA. Our glide to high key maneuver was 125 knots at zero thrust torque setting, which translates to about 1° nose down. Students would invariably pitch for nose on the horizon or slightly nose up, which of course ruined their dead engine glide with predicable results, so I indirectly taught the phugoid in the context of what was already in the training pub- "power attitude trim," and I noted AoA but in the context of the relationship of max range and minimum sink AoAs (the little triangle and diamond markers on the AoA strip on the PFD; yes those values work a little bit different for maximum range AoA in a propeller airplane vs maximum range AoA in a jet or a glider, but the aero curriculum has been dumbed down to the point of wham bam thank you multiple choice so I didn't want to explode heads any worse).... point being that going any slower than that 125 knot glide would make the T-6 hit the ground sooner in time and also fall short of the predicted "2nm per 1000 feet" in the training pub,* but going 125 +10/-0 (as the standard is written) would greatly improve your chances of success.

The takeaway from showing that "trimmed in a glide" was to show simply what a phugoid is- the up and down glide that every paper airplane does when you throw it off a great height, and what "trimmed" actually meant (i.e. the airplane actually flies itself pretty well).

The phugoid in that regime was several seconds or longer and about +/- 10 knots... just from what I remember observing.

* funny secret about the T-6B natops and primary contact FTI: "1350-1500fpm at 125KIAS" translates to about 1.7nm per thousand feet, which means even though your math from 10 miles away and 8000' looks perfectly doable, in reality you'll arrive at high key about a thousand feet low. Joke's on you, students and instructors!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Did you guys note the constant AOA in the manuever? I assume you did in nerd pilot school. Could be minorly illuminating in Primary land.

Oh, probably. I don't recall anything significant with it. Surprise, surprise, a trainer is stable. But as a TPS student, you gotta prove it, and explain in the debrief how you proved it. ?

Not sure how useful a Phugoid demo would be to most Primary students. The non-technical majors would be bored, some of the engineers might be interested. An L/D demo on the other hand, is incredibly useful for teaching why energy management (i.e. AIRSPEED!) is critical with power loss in a single engine airplane... faster or slower than best glide, you're gonna come down quicker.

Last edited:

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I couldn't imagine flying a plane that didn't use AOA. We reference it for nearly everything in USN carrier aviation. Aside from landing, it's extremely important in all phases of flight...especially BFM.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Frankly, the color scheme on the USAF indexer is more sensible. Red for danger, amber for caution, and green for okay.

@HuggyU2 , I take it the USAF indexer can also simultaneously light the donut and chevron when you're not quite on speed but you're close? (And light the respective chevron.) That overlap is fairly useful for finessing your control inputs when rolling into and out of turns in the landing pattern, among other things.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can also confirm, USAF AOA brackets and indexer lights (in the F-16 & T-38 at least) work opposite USN. Why wouldn't they? ?

I actually used to turn the indexers off in the Viper so that I wouldn't build future bad habit patterns. E-bracket was still a-backwards but I never really looked at that thing in the Hornet anyway.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The USAF vs Navy AoA indexers are colored differently... however, the actual positions mean the same thing...
e.g. "slow" is the same arrow on both.
It's red in the USAF.
It's green with the Nautical Service.

View attachment 27687

It's been a while, but I am 99% certain the meaning was actually reversed as well in the F-16. As in top chevron was fast.....as was top of e bracket. You would hold the VV next to the top of e bracket for an 11 deg approach and it would sag to "on speed" as you hit 13 AoA in the flare (some guys flew full on speed approaches however). Maybe seven helmet or Farva can confirm or deny that I am smoking crack.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's been a while, but I am 99% certain the meaning was actually reversed as well in the F-16. As in top chevron was fast.....as was top of e bracket. You would hold the VV next to the top of e bracket for an 11 deg approach and it would sag to "on speed" as you hit 13 AoA in the flare (some guys flew full on speed approaches however). Maybe seven helmet or Farva can confirm or deny that I am smoking crack.
I didn't fly it, the old man did, and that jives what he told me.