• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny Husin

Hey guys. In a couple of years I'll be entering the college life, and for this I've set my sights on going to the Naval Academy.
I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me the basic skinny on how I would go about applying for the academy. What kind of students they look for, the classes I'd need to take to get there, how stiff the competition might be, that kind of stuff. I know one has to get a nomination from a congressman or something (I don't know how the hell I'm gonna do that), but I don't know much about anything else. I figure some of you guys might know.
I just want to prepare while it's still early.
Thanks in advance.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Offcial info on applying for the Academy is online at: http://www.usna.edu/Admissions . There are several ways to getting a nomination. Your profile says you're from the Phillipines, so I suppose getting one from your Senator or Rep is out of the question, lol. I'd contact the US embassy in Manila. The Naval Attache can probably give you some more detailed information on applying from overseas.

Hope that helps.

Edited by - Tripp on 08/30/2000 00:01:30

Kenny Husin

Alright Tripp thanks. I'll check that site out. And I don't think I would have to worry about applying from overseas cause I actually live in California now.

GrandMastaJ84

Hey Kenny. I live in NorCal and was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. I am a high school senior and got my appointment (acceptance) to USNA a little over a month ago. The first thing you should do is to call the Academy Admissions office. (410-293-4361) Tell the person that picks up you are from California and they will transfer you to the California Admissions representative. Tell her your situation, that you are interested in applying for the Naval Academy class of 20__ and would like to start the application process. Depending on what year in high school you are, they might tell you to do the preliminary application. If they do, go to the website (usna.edu) and go to admissions, and click on the button in the middle of the page Submit a Summer Seminar Application . That will get everything rolling and you should ask who your Blue and Gold Officer (local admissions rep) is. Call your BGO (blue and gold officer)!

My advice to you as a recent appointee is to keep a HIGH GPA. Class rank and GPA are VERY important in their admissions decisions. The competition is stiff because they are looking for the complete candidate. If you look at the "class of 2008" profile that is directly above the summer seminar app button, you will see a brief description of the class of 2008. Notice that extracurriculars are also extremely important. Get involved in clubs at you high school and shoot for a leadership position. Do you play a varsity sport? If not, try and play on a team outside of school. Volunteer in the community. Do something that is meaningful or that gives back to your community in some way. A key in extracurriculars is LEADERSHIP. Get lots of it!

Here are my stats just as an example:

3.8 GPA
Rank: my HS does not rank (admissions board takes that into account)
SAT: M: 690 E: 620
ACT: M: 31 E: 29
Extracurriculars:
Eagle Scout, Junior Assistant Scoutmaster of BSA Troop 216, Vice President of Model United Nations, Sergeant on County Sheriff Search and Rescue team, National Honors Society, Boys' State, Mustang Ski Club, Tri-Valley Science and Engineering Fair 3rd place, Business Roundtable Engineering Competition 1st place, Varsity Baseball.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, either post them here or ask your BGO. GO NAVY CLASS OF 2009!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Read everything you can on this site...

www.usna.edu

Read all and everything you can, especially all the steps to admission. Good luck.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
And as far as the Foundation goes, it works like this: The USNA admissions board selects 500 names to tell the Foundation they are interested in, the foundation picks the top 250 to apply, and from the applications, they pick the top 80 or so.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Oh my god that's an old post (Did I even write that?!?!?!?!?!?). Make it go away.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Tripp, lol, I just realized that the original post was 5 years ago. I guess GrandMasta ressurected it not realizing either. Lol...

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
O well!

etnuclearsailor said:
Wow... I didn't even look at that. That guy could be commissioned by now for all we know!

Totally lol. O well! :icon_tong :D :tongue2_1

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
DAMN IT! HOW DID I MISS THIS RESURRECTION! Oh well, because it's a 5 year old thread, I have to do it, even if I missed it myself.

backtothethread.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.