• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NATO Declares Russia an Enemy - Your take.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was talking more in general about his presidency rather than this specific instance. If you look at the ways that he consolidated his power in Russia and essentially made Europe dependent on Russian cheap gas exports it's pretty smart.

Long run yes he may be outmaneuvered, but it's going to take some serious capital on the US' and Europe's part because at this point Europe can't do much but slap some weak sanctions on because they are hamstrung by the fact that they rely on Russia for natural gas.

I recently had a class where we got a lecture from an energy expert and she said that Russia is unique for being the only country that went from being an industrial power to an oil/gas power. I think half their economy and 80% of their exports now are oil and gas, that is a huge strategic vunerability and could cost them dearly in the long term. Couple that with large-scale emigration, a rapidly declining birthrate along with pervasive corruption at every level of society and Putin's Russia is an absolute mess that will just get worse in the long term without us having to lift a finger.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Long run yes he may be outmaneuvered, but it's going to take some serious capital on the US' and Europe's part because at this point Europe can't do much but slap some weak sanctions on because they are hamstrung by the fact that they rely on Russia for natural gas.

Russia has a terrible economy. If they cut off the gas, it will hurt them far more than it will hurt the EU. It wasn't Putin who made them reliant on Gazprom, it was the EU when they decided to shutdown a bunch of their nuclear reactors post Chernobyl and Fukushima. Sanctions can and will crush Russia economically, and as soon as Putin's billionaire oligarch buddies start seeing their bottom line eaten away, he's going to lose support rapidly.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I'm not arguing that cutting off the gas wouldn't hurt - it definitely would, but it seems like there's little appetite for that in Europe right now, and I think that it would take a significantly more brash move by Putin to change that.

Surf

pilot
Russia has a terrible economy. If they cut off the gas, it will hurt them far more than it will hurt the EU. It wasn't Putin who made them reliant on Gazprom, it was the EU when they decided to shutdown a bunch of their nuclear reactors post Chernobyl and Fukushima. Sanctions can and will crush Russia economically, and as soon as Putin's billionaire oligarch buddies start seeing their bottom line eaten away, he's going to lose support rapidly.
Which begs the question; if pushed into a corner by both the West and the Oligarchs, will the Kremlin fold or go "all in". I have a sneaking suspicion V. Putin is not willing to see his Russia concede again.

xltn

Sanction or not, some old salt veterans and politicians are criticizing NATO and the US, "Stop bluffing" on C-Span Radio. I laughed and nodded.

xltn

Enough politic for me. Can't believe I will finish school in 2 weeks, confirm my OR I pass every class, and really graduate. Hopefully, I don't have to wait long for OCS. :cool:

jmcquate

Contributor
So NATO unfriended Russia. The Taliban outlasted NATO, I don't think the Sovi........err Russia is too worried.

jmcquate

Contributor
Now that I think about it, they outlasted the Soviets too..........so what the hell do I know.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Now that I think about it, they outlasted the Soviets too..........so what the hell do I know.

There's a reason they call Afghanistan the "graveyard of empires". Although we and the Russians had it better than the British - in 1842 they sent 16,500 men into Afghanistan from Pakistan - only one returned alive.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Russia playing games along Ukraine’s border. Keep an eye on the freshwater supply in Crimea.
I recently had a class where we got a lecture from an energy expert and she said that Russia is unique for being the only country that went from being an industrial power to an oil/gas power. I think half their economy and 80% of their exports now are oil and gas, that is a huge strategic vunerability and could cost them dearly in the long term. Couple that with large-scale emigration, a rapidly declining birthrate along with pervasive corruption at every level of society and Putin's Russia is an absolute mess that will just get worse in the long term without us having to lift a finger.
Putin is a judo black belt. In judo, one uses his or her opponent’s strengths against them and turns it into a weakness. Russia appears to be doing precisely that, w/r/t Europe’s oil and gas supply.