• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National Reciprocity for CCW

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. Don't know what it's chances of passing are ( probably slim to none, IMO), but it would certainly make things easier for those of us with a CCW. For purposes of esoteric political debate, how do some of you "traditional" conservatives, who it would seem are the most ardent supporters of such a bill, square this in terms of the "states rights" argument that you apply to so many other political issues? Discuss.

Brett

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Brett, I think this bill has come up in various flavors for years so we can obviously see it doesn't have a great track record.

As for your states rights question, it's an interesting one as I'm a big fan of states rights over the federal government. That said, the logic and reasoning behind the bill is that it's similar to driver's licensing, wedding licenses, etc. So, I can agree with this bill in that sense.

My thought is if it did pass, the license rules would be similar to drivers' licenses, with the grace period and such if you move to a new state. That way the states still have some regulation on the individual training requirements.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, I think this bill has come up in various flavors for years so we can obviously see it doesn't have a great track record.

As for your states rights question, it's an interesting one as I'm a big fan of states rights over the federal government. That said, the logic and reasoning behind the bill is that it's similar to driver's licensing, wedding licenses, etc. So, I can agree with this bill in that sense.

My thought is if it did pass, the license rules would be similar to drivers' licenses, with the grace period and such if you move to a new state. That way the states still have some regulation on the individual training requirements.
I'll buy that, but I can see things getting complicated. Every state has driver's licenses with very similar requirements, but not every state issues CCW and many are extremely restrictive. If this law were to pass, I could see citizens exercising their reciprocity "rights" having trouble with local LE, even though the law would be on their side.

I think it's a good idea, but the implementation seems wrought with peril.

Brett

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'll buy that, but I can see things getting complicated. Every state has driver's licenses with very similar requirements, but not every state issues CCW and many are extremely restrictive. If this law were to pass, I could see citizens exercising their reciprocity "rights" having trouble with local LE, even though the law would be on their side.

I think it's a good idea, but the implementation seems wrought with peril.

Brett

Your permit would only be valid in a state that already issues carry permits to its citizens. You'd automatically be granted the privileges of an 'unrestricted' permit in that state, and be subject to its rules and restrictions.

Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

• `(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--
    • `(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or
    • `(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.
  • `(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.
  • `(c) In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license or permit issued to a resident of the State.
  • `(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.'.

In most 'shall issue' states, this just keeps out-of-state permit holders from having to apply for a non-resident permit---which is really just a formality, anyway. If this bill passes, it will only create a problem in the restrictive 'may issue' states like NY, CA, NJ, where you need to be a celebrity or politically connected to receive an unrestricted carry permit. These states would either have to eliminate their 'unrestricted carry' permits and only issue hunting/fishing or target permits, or accept this law and allow out-of-state permit holders to carry freely.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If this bill passes, it will only create a problem in the restrictive 'may issue' states like NY, CA, NJ, where you need to be a celebrity or politically connected to receive an unrestricted carry permit. These states would either have to eliminate their 'unrestricted carry' permits and only issue hunting/fishing or target permits, or accept this law and allow out-of-state permit holders to carry freely.

This is specifically what I had in mind when I said it would be complicated. Places like this would have to be drug kicking and screaming. Probably a moot point, but an interesting discussion nonetheless.

Brett

Flugelman

Contributor
It WILL have trouble getting past the Senate. Having said that, I think it is a good idea. There will always be a few (very few in this case), who will either ignore the facts of law or try to get around them. But I think in this age of the internet most CCW holders, having had to undergo the training and testing to secure said CCW, are aware of the requirements and would take the trouble to find out what is required of them.

We travel extensively as full time RV'ers and I am always aware of what the local requirements may be. It is easy with publications like this one.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
As a proponent for states' rights, I would have to argue that this bill shouldn't be passed. Though, as a (little l) libertarian, I would argue that there shouldn't have to be concealed carry permits issued either. One should be allowed to carry a weapon on their person if they wish without the state placing unneeded restrictions.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. Don't know what it's chances of passing are ( probably slim to none, IMO), but it would certainly make things easier for those of us with a CCW. For purposes of esoteric political debate, how do some of you "traditional" conservatives, who it would seem are the most ardent supporters of such a bill, square this in terms of the "states rights" argument that you apply to so many other political issues? Discuss.

Brett

This bill shouldn't even be necessary. The 2nd amendment makes this superfluous. States do not have the right regulate what free speech is, what freedom of religion means, or what constitutes suffrage; why do they get to pick and choose what "to keep and bear arms" means.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This bill shouldn't even be necessary. The 2nd amendment makes this superfluous. States do not have the right regulate what free speech is, what freedom of religion means, or what constitutes suffrage; why do they get to pick and choose what "to keep and bear arms" means.

They often put limits and regulations on 'the right of the people to peaceably assemble'. Ever heard of a parade permit?

And the Supreme Court even said as much in District of Columbia v. Heller:

"Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms."

Written by Justice Antonin Scalia.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Parade permits? If that were true, the fuckheads from Westboro wouldn't be allowed to march around whenever and wherever they wanted, spewing hatred. How are the states coming along on banning them? Oh yea, not well.

I can take paragraphs from Supreme Court decision out of context, too. Scalia made it clear the prohibition against taking a gun on federal property, or school building was not changing based on their decision in the Heller case. Nothing about whether or not a state can deny someone the right to carry concealed. McDonald v Chicago makes it clear the right to keep and bear arms applies to all of the states, making gun laws that restrict the right to own a gun of common type and use unconstitutional.

What's your point?

DC lost in Heller, and Chicago lost to McDonald, by the way. By the way they spin it, liberals still believe they won.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Parade permits? If that were true, the fuckheads from Westboro wouldn't be allowed to march around whenever and wherever they wanted, spewing hatred.

Laws are being looked at to limit their protests while attempting to stay within the bounds of the Supreme Court's decision. And while not a state, a quick Google search found the DC government site that links you to all the permits necessary to parade, protest, auction and bingo the night away. And yes, parade permits are constitutional.

I can take paragraphs from Supreme Court decision out of context, too. What's your point?

Out of context? That part of the decison is about as explicit as one can get that says there can be laws made to limit the right to 'keep and bear arms'. It answers your question/complaint, they get to do it because they can, legally.

DC lost in Heller, by the way.

Try getting a gun in DC.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your basic conservative will point to Article IV of the almighty Constitution. Sections 1 and 2 are on point.

Section. 1. Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
Section. 2.The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

There is a lot of case law on these two points. It isn't exactly consistent and there remains debate. This is why Congress felt it necessary to pass the Defense of Marriage Act, so states that rejected homosexual marriage would not have to honor gay marriages performed in other states. In the case of CCW, the bill in question would just affirm a reasonable reading of Article IV of the Constitution and force other sates to honor CCW from another.