• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National Air and Space Museum...how about an update?

"G.I."

pilot
I visited the Air and Space Museum on the mall in DC last weekend. As always, it is impressive, but is the Panther carrier landing footage really the most recent we have? I know the displays are meant for the "man off the street", but some of the displays were almost comical they were so outdated. I was shocked in particular when I saw the Hornet area, which, according to the display, is made by McDonnell Douglas, carries weaponry from the early 80's, and navigates via microfiche. I'm surprised the companies whose products are represented there have not ponied up to get them into this millennium. Think I'll contact the staff and see how much we would have to pass the cup around to make a dent...

UMichfly

pilot
None
I was shocked in particular when I saw the Hornet area, which, according to the display, is made by McDonnell Douglas, carries weaponry from the early 80's, and navigates via microfiche. [\quote]

Shhhh, nobody tell the Blue Diamonds....their shit is outdated!

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
My Airboss (circa 2005; then a CAPT) is listed on the flight schedule displayed in the "ready room" as the squadron Ops-O. Can't remember the squadron.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You have to keep in mind the big picture with respect to the Smithsonian Institution, after all it is the biggest entity of its kind in the world encompassing 19 museums. There is a constant and steady stream of updates and renovations constantly happening among the different museums and they only have so much money and resources to go around, while supported by Congress admission after all is still free.

Specifically with the Air and Space Museum a lot of the recent effort there has been towards building up the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles, including relocating their aircraft restoration efforts from Suitland, Md to Dulles along with the aircraft and artifacts stored in Suitland.

So what I am trying to say is that the Smithsonian isn't really going to put a lot of priority in the 0.0002% of its patrons who would noticed what you saw, especially when the carrier aviation exhibit gets the point across to the unwashed masses who gape in wonder at the awesomness that is Naval Aviation (with the Scooter front and center!)

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
My Airboss (circa 2005; then a CAPT) is listed on the flight schedule displayed in the "ready room" as the squadron Ops-O. Can't remember the squadron.

VF-41 from the TR in the late 80's. The videos that play on the "windows" in the bridge area were shot onboard TR when we were doing workups in 1988.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I was shocked in particular when I saw the Hornet area, which, according to the display, is made by McDonnell Douglas...

Uhhhh...it is made by McDonnell Douglas. First built in 1978. Last in 1999, only 2 years after Boeing bought them.

The Rhino and Growler on the other hand...

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I grew up near Pensacola. I got to go to the NPA Museum at least twice a year for most of my youth. The first time I went to the NASM, I was so underwhelmed I left and went and toured the SCOTUS.

I was recently back and gave a second chance. It's still no NMNA but what is? I think it's more of a tip of the cap to the folks in Pensacola who have turned that place into a world class museum - maybe not so much of a knock on the Smith Inst.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I grew up near Pensacola. I got to go to the NPA Museum at least twice a year for most of my youth. The first time I went to the NASM, I was so underwhelmed I left and went and toured the SCOTUS.

I was recently back and gave a second chance. It's still no NMNA but what is? I think it's more of a tip of the cap to the folks in Pensacola who have turned that place into a world class museum - maybe not so much of a knock on the Smith Inst.

I agree, I have always been impressed with how nice the museum in Pensacola. Even more so after visiting other notable museums like the USAF museum at Wright-Pat and the Museum of Flight in Seattle. I will say though that the Dulles Annex is very impressive though, especially since it is so 'new' and has such an impressive and wide ranging collection. Have you checked that out yet? Now if only you didn't have to pay $15 for parking, which apparently gets stolen sometimes........:(

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

For the Naval Aviation side, sure, but where else can you go and see the actual plane that first broke the sound barrier? Or the actual plane that flew around the world on one tank of gas? Or the actual plane (I think) that made the first trans-atlantic (non-water taxiing) flight? Or get to touch (albeit behind plexi) one of the Apollo capsules. That's the stuff that I think is pretty amazing about the Smithsonian.

LET73

I lived in Baltimore for a couple years when I was little, and made regular trips to the Air and Space Museum. Later on when I was in school in DC, I went probably once a month--I mean, it's free! I went to the museum in Pensacola with my OCS class and don't actually remember it well enough to make a comparison. It was probably pretty good, but mostly I was just relieved that there were no DIs on the trip.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The Pima Air Museum outside the gate at AMARC is pretty sweet. Most of the (huge) collection is baking in the Tucson sun though outside. Don't go in the middle of the day during summer.

jmcquate

Contributor
NASM has a unique problem when it comes to renovating and updating permanent exhibits. Many of the visitors (I think it’s the most visited museum in the world) only have the chance to see it once in their lifetime. The last thing they want to see is a “Closed for Restoration” sign hanging in front of a gallery and they’ll let their congressman know about it.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
The NASM on the mall is nice - when you go out to IAD and see the museum there it starts to put the original to shame. That being said there is no room on the mall for a building big enough to house all those aircraft. When I was at Pax in the early 90's we used to go up to the mall on Saturdays and see what we could see. I love that area of the country just for all the history that surrounds you.

The AF Museum at Wright-Pat is decent - they're trying to raise the money to build another "hangar" onto the existing facility. I really need to get to our museum in Pcola!