• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA to Cancel Moon Mission, Constellation, & Future US Manned Spacecraft Program

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/31/AR2010013101058.html

Looks like there will be no follow on to the space shuttle program, effectively killing our US-launched manned space program. They'll be outsourcing to the Russians and private space contractors...

Sucks for those who went through (or wanted to go through) USNTPS with the hopes of one day becoming pilot astronauts... looks like they'll have no ride to have stick time in once the shuttle goes away this year or next.

Another project that we poured billions and billions into only to completely nix it to supposedly save money. Trillions for bailouts but U.S. Space exploration isn't worth funding. Mr. Obama sure turned out to be as inspiring as Kennedy, just like everyone said. Pretty discouraging. Sad.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I feel like the kid who's been told the family can't afford the latest game console. Incredibly disappointing, but at the same time we do have a ridiculous deficit.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I feel like the kid who's been told the family can't afford the latest game console. Incredibly disappointing, but at the same time we do have a ridiculous deficit.

This really makes me sad for all those folks who thought flying Navy jets would be a check in the box on their way to NASA. Perhaps there are still more pressing issues to deal with here on earth for the time being.....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Panem et circenses. Just another sign we're screwed if things continue.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Sucks. But, there is budget trimming that needs to be done. And the moon will still be there in 2012.

Also, I'm pretty sure congress won't let this happen.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I want Zombie Reagan back. At least we'd fuck shit up again.

When are things going to change in this country?

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
I can completely understand canceling plans to go to the moon and/or Mars, but canceling the entire Constellation program (as opposed to continuing a limited Aries program for trips to low-earth orbit and the International Space Station) while continuing with plans to end the Shuttle program and relying on the Russians indefinitely instead (regardless of private ventures) seems to be short sighted.

What happens if there is a need for another DoD mission like 10 previous STS DoD only missions including the possibility to do repairs to a DoD or intelligence satellite; what are we gonna do, ask the friendly Russians (or Chinese) to take us there to fix part of our war-fighting capability? I'm sure they'd be thrilled... :rolleyes:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Perhaps we can launch replacemtn sats on our existing rocket arsenal like we always have? I'd have to say that somebody with more knowledges than us has probably crunched the DoD numbers already

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Figures. Guess I'll have to go myself, as I'd always planned on...

Weyland-Yutani-shirt-lg.gif

But seriously, I'm gonna wait and see where this is concerned. Personally, it's something I'm willing to support as a tax payer (and to make everyone else pay for as a voter :)).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

But seriously, I'm gonna wait and see where this is concerned. Personally, it's something I'm willing to support as a tax payer (and to make everyone else pay for as a voter :)).

Nice reference. :D

Brett

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
Perhaps we can launch replacemtn sats on our existing rocket arsenal like we always have? I'd have to say that somebody with more knowledges than us has probably crunched the DoD numbers already

True, but it seems hard for me to believe that there is no justifiable national security reason for maintaining our own manned space program instead of relying solely, of all others, the Russians! Wasn't it just a year or so ago that they had that incursion into Georgia? After all, the space race began as a quest to see who can conquer the heavens first for potential military purposes (i.e. he who controls the space above can lob nukes down below); it only later evolved into a "Pokemon" style battle for a race to the moon. The Chinese aren't sitting by idly and I'd venture a guess that neither the Chinese nor the Russians are pursuing space programs without any military purpose of any kind whatsoever...

Interesting article and thread here to counterpoint what I said:
http://spacefrontier.org/2010/01/26...st-kill-ares-i-buy-commercial-rides-to-space/

jtmedli

pilot
Panem et circenses. Just another sign we're screwed if things continue.

Agreed...the space program has developed innumerable amounts of technology, and continues to do so, that we use daily. Just remember "hope and change" everybody. At least we're getting the latter!!

Whatever dude, but I'm not riding with you!! ;)