• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Pensacola - POINTE SOUTH REALTY

Boomer91

I have had some problems with Pointe South Realty in Perdido Key (15 minutes from the back gate). As most of you know, API has gone through a lot of changes with the raised 43 NSS for pilots, wait times significantly decreasing for classing up, and training wings requesting everyone who has graduated API as soon as possible. When I first came down here the wait was supposed to be 10 months, as per an email we received from the schools command sent to OCS prior to checking in. I am a SNFO and came down here with 3 other SNA's with the thought of staying for at least 12 months. Well, that all changed. The SNA's are all transferring out of here immediately following API and the NFO's are staying at NAS Pensacola. Pointe South Realty recognizes my three roommates under the military clause/Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. They are now trying to hold me responsible for the entire lease which is over $2,000 a month. They are unwilling to work anything out and have threatened legal action against me for the remainder of the lease. They obviously have very little regard for members in the military and how circumstances can change very quickly.

Just a heads up, Pointe South Realty likes to screw military members. I would highly recommend not going through them when you move down here. Multiple complaints have been made to the chain of command about this company by other sailors. Best of luck to everyone.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
If you haven't yet, set an appointment with the NLSO on base.

Boomer91

Scoob, I have talked to them twice now. The best advice that they gave me was "Well, these property managers normally kick and scream, then end up not doing anything."

Lazers.......where do I begin? Have you re-designated yet?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Scoob, I have talked to them twice now. The best advice that they gave me was "Well, these property managers normally kick and scream, then end up not doing anything."

Lazers.......where do I begin? Have you re-designated yet?

Check profile for all pertinent info regarding that :D.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
Or just say "yes."

Thanks boomer91, I've got buddies inbound who will appreciate the warning.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to discount Boomer's situation because it is shitty, but I rented for 2 years from Pointe South (all the way through flight school), and I didn't have any issues. They were really good on the maintenance stuff, showing up the next day every time. Also, they worked with me when I needed to get out of the lease a month early because my 2 NFO roommates got transferred unexpectedly. I have no connection to Pointe South, so I don't really care if you go with them or not, but I figure it always helps to keep your options open.
SNFOs: I realize it might not always be possible or your preference, but try to rent with other SNFOs. That way you can count on your roommates being with you for almost a year before anyone PCSes, plus you can help each other through primary/intermediate/advanced. I can't tell you how much it helped to be able to ask my roommate ahead of me questions.

@Boomer: Who were you working with at Pointe South? Rebecca Gafford was the lady that helped me out of my lease early, maybe she'll be more reasonable than whoever you've been dealing with there. PM for contact info.

Boomer91

cfam.....Pointe South represents and serves many owners of properties that simply use their company as a management tool for their properties. It just so happens that this time around, the owner of this property is one of those guys who does shady business and expects everyone to kiss his ass (all information passed by Rebecca). Had it been another owner (according to Rebecca), this problem would have been resolved. Nonetheless it's a headache that no one needs, especially in this training environment. They verbally agreed to let me out of my lease, then went back on it a few days later asking for money. It's just a very unethical way of doing business. I don't want any other service member to have to deal with this garbage. There are more important things to focus on, like training.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so if I'm reading this correctly, it's the owner's fault, not the managment company's. Again, I have no personal interest in whether someone uses the company or not, I just think it's dumb to limit your options because of one shitty owner. JMHO, take it or leave it.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
ERA Old South pulled the same shit on my roomate and I. They let me out, but said he had to stay. Luckily we were only a month apart so it was not a huge factor. Their reasoning was because we gave them two rental applications they could hold us individually.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
cfam.....Pointe South represents and serves many owners of properties that simply use their company as a management tool for their properties. It just so happens that this time around, the owner of this property is one of those guys who does shady business and expects everyone to kiss his ass (all information passed by Rebecca). Had it been another owner (according to Rebecca), this problem would have been resolved. Nonetheless it's a headache that no one needs, especially in this training environment. They verbally agreed to let me out of my lease, then went back on it a few days later asking for money. It's just a very unethical way of doing business. I don't want any other service member to have to deal with this garbage. There are more important things to focus on, like training.

So is the problem really with Pointe South, the owner, or the contract you signed? Seems to me its a bit unfair to disparage this company when they apparently have no control over the issue. The better advice to other service members would be to choose roommates you expect to stay in the house the same timeframe as you or to get a contract written that specifically allows you to break the contract if one or more roommates moves out due to orders.

There is no legal precedent for anybody to "be nice" to the roommate left behind when everybody else moves out on orders, the only way to protect yourself is to have that condition written into the contract and the owner agree to the terms up front.

Personally, never saw an issue with this as fresh meat is always coming into town. If you are really screwed right now, advertise the sublet and you should have no problem finding takers, particularly if it has a decent location and a decent price.

Pointe South

Contributor

Hi Boomer! Please don't leave out important facts of how we tried to work with you, the owner even offered another place for you to move to that was half the price, furnished, and is located 2 doors down from the property that you have recently moved to. We worked with you as best we could, offering to help you find roommates as well. The military clause that you attempted to use, couldn't be honored as you are still at Pensacola NAS. We love our military personnel and always try our very best to accommodate. We wish you nothing but the very best, but please be respectful of our attempt to help you. Feel free to stop by our office anytime and I will further try to help you with this issue.

Happy Veterans Day to all our military!

Susan Carleton, Owner
Pointe South Real Estate
www.pointesouth.com

JonDW7

Actually...you are wrong.

Hi Boomer! Please don't leave out important facts of how we tried to work with you, the owner even offered another place for you to move to that was half the price, furnished, and is located 2 doors down from the property that you have recently moved to. We worked with you as best we could, offering to help you find roommates as well. The military clause that you attempted to use, couldn't be honored as you are still at Pensacola NAS. We love our military personnel and always try our very best to accommodate. We wish you nothing but the very best, but please be respectful of our attempt to help you. Feel free to stop by our office anytime and I will further try to help you with this issue.

Happy Veterans Day to all our military!

Susan Carleton, Owner
Pointe South Real Estate
www.pointesouth.com

Wrong. I had a similiar situation with a rental company. The military clause is valid for the military member AND dependents. Courts have recently ruled that "dependents" include those who rely on the military member for rent contributions. The courts are still split on the definition of dependents, but recent precedent rules in Boomer's favor.