• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nas Alameda pic

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... I suspect we've all encountered in ... uniformed careers individuals we would unceremoniously label "douchebags."...
No shit.

I had some peers end up doing hard time for 'conduct unbecoming'. And that was when you could get away w/ a LOT more than you can today. I've had to send 'uniformed' individuals to the Brig -- I didn't want to, but there you go ... and, for the record: they richly deserved it.

And they were 'douchebags'
as well ... and lousy sailors, too. :) (I think we used the terms 'slackers', 'skates', & 'rat-bastards' more frequently in the ol' days than seems to be in vogue today).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Pretty sure not too many people were crying over the "lost jobs" in the Bay area from the late 70's on. That's the same time Silicon Valley was heating up.
Naaaaaaahhhh ... vastly different voter 'constituencies' for 'Red' Ron ... different education, background, experiences.

Silicon Valley guys --- soft, white punks who have never done shit except go to college, sit in front of a computer screen, and 'get lucky' prior to the Dot-Bomb implosion.

Civilian/military guys w/ jobs in/around SFO --- white/black/blue collar guys who have callouses on their hands, who knew how to repair & maintain ships & aircraft, and who knew what it meant to actually go to work 5 days a week ... instead of telecommuting. :)

Big difference ...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Naaaaaaahhhh ... vastly different voter 'constituencies' for 'Red' Ron ... different education, background, experiences.

Silicon Valley guys --- soft, white punks who have never done shit except go to college, sit in front of a computer screen, and 'get lucky' prior to the Dot-Bomb implosion.

Civilian/military guys w/ jobs in/around SFO --- white/black/blue collar guys who have callouses on their hands, who knew how to repair & maintain ships & aircraft, and who knew what it meant to actually go to work 5 days a week ... instead of telecommuting. :)

Big difference ...

Not really. All those buildings that got built, all the fiber optic cable that got laid, the guys in the shipping and receiving depts at Intel, Apple, HP, IBM, etc... pretty sure they are the same kinda guys you are talking about. And I'm not just talking dot-com, but before that.

But hey, I wish the bases out there were still open too.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Not really. All those buildings that got built, all the fiber optic cable that got laid, the guys in the shipping and receiving depts at Intel, Apple, HP, IBM, etc... pretty sure they are the same kinda guys you are talking about. And I'm not just talking dot-com, but before that.

But hey, I wish the bases out there were still open too.
^ Yeah, whatever floats your boat ... I was on the BRAC team @ NAS NUW at the time (the "Red" Ron/BRAC time of the '90s -- the time in question) -- re: 'the same kinda' guys' you reference (now, what kind is that?) -- I know exactly 'what kinda' we're talkin' about, as the loss of 'those kinda guys' jobs' was one of the arguments put forth by the Bay Area proponents for keeping the Navy in SFO during the '90s BRAC exercise ... 'twas a different time frame and different guys from what you reference ... they represented hard-core industrial Navy-related shipyard/air station 'lost jobs' that didn't start going in the tank until the middle/late 90's as a direct result of SFO-BRAC and never have been locally replaced to a large degree ... Silicon Valley or their mail rooms never entered the discusion(s) ... these guys never heard of Amazon.com ... you weren't on the BRAC team @ NUW, repeatedly, in the '90s, were you (?) :) ... I seem to have missed you ... oh, well ... onward & upward ...

BUT ... back to the original premise prior to the "Red" Ron course correction ...

..... here's a 'vintage' pix of the fare and dining experience one could expect @ the NAS ALAMEDA O'Club in/around the early 1960's. Please note the 'elegance' of the sumptuous spread and
check the photo insert for a sample of the coat & tie 'class' of the customers of that period in USN leisure ... my, oh my ... :)

nasalamedaofficersclub1.jpg

NAS ALAMEDA OFFICERS' CLUB, circa 1960

exhelodrvr

pilot
..... here's a 'vintage' pix of the fare and dining experience one could expect @ the NAS ALAMEDA O'Club in/around the early 1960's. Please note the 'elegance' of the sumptuous spread and check the photo insert for a sample of the coat & tie 'class' of the customers of that period in USN leisure ... my, oh my ... :)

nasalamedaofficersclub1.jpg

NAS ALAMEDA OFFICERS' CLUB, circa 1960

I don't have any pictures, but do you remember the bar on the top floor of that tower on Yerba Buena Island (basically right above the tunnel that goes through the hill) that had an incredible view of the whole bay?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't ex-Alameda where the Mythbusters keep going to blow shit up and light things on fire?

If we can't fly out of there, seems like a better use for the space than some I can think of...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't have any pictures, but do you remember the bar on the top floor of that tower on Yerba Buena Island (basically right above the tunnel that goes through the hill) that had an incredible view of the whole bay?
Unfortunately, I'm clueless ... and I wish it were otherwise ... but the only time I crossed Yerba Buena was while hermetically sealed & ensconced in a gov't vehicle -- going to 'school' @ T.I.

Can you say .... *gasp* ...
CSSP ???? :eek::eek::eek:

BEAD-WINDOW ... BEAD-WINDOW !!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Now that you mention it, I have so much respect for the Speaker of the House ... 2nd in line in the pecking order ... etc., etc. ... :)

nancypelosi.jpg

Sorry for the course correction ... back to ALAMEDA-stuff !!!! :D:D:D:D

Lonestar155

is good to go
For those who haven't got a clue on what NAS Alameda was all about. Alameda is now home to the USS Hornet, but was also home to the Vinson and experimental ships like the Sea Shadow.

Attachments

• 1482600.jpg
    1482600.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 28