• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAPS vs USNA commitments for noncompletion

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If I remember correctly ... he was an AOC (??? or NAVCAD ?) ... which I believe included a "placeholder" enlisted service # and rate -- usually Seaman Deuce. 'Cause if you really screwed up -- that's where and how you were going .....

But that should NEVER be construed as a real "enlisted" service nor rate a medal/ribbon.

I have an enlisted service # and discharge certificate ... when we were sworn in as Officers ... we were simultaneously "discharged" from the Navy as a Seaman Deuce and "commissioned" as an Ensign.

Same here.. NAPS.. counted as 11 months & change "enlisted".. for pay purposes only. Seaman Apprentice. Basically so Big Daddy Navy could own, and subsequently pay, us for the school year. I was simultaneously "discharged" and appointed a Midshipman. Had I not shown up to USNA... next stop, Great Lakes.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Same here.. NAPS.. counted as 11 months & change "enlisted".. for pay purposes only. Seaman Apprentice. Basically so Big Daddy Navy could own, and subsequently pay, us for the school year. I was simultaneously "discharged" and appointed a Midshipman. Had I not shown up to USNA... next stop, Great Lakes.

Did the same rules about dropping at USNA for the first two years still apply to NAPS?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Had I not shown up to USNA... next stop, Great Lakes.

Uh... Not unless you were prior enlisted. Non-priors had no commitment at NAPS, even if they walked across that stage and graduated. I knew several who did just that only to end up in civilian schools in the fall. One just finished a stint as Alabama's star field goal kicker... And I remember being payed above E-1, I think it was E-3 base pay?...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Uh... Not unless you were prior enlisted. Non-priors had no commitment at NAPS, even if they walked across that stage and graduated. I knew several who did just that only to end up in civilian schools in the fall. One just finished a stint as Alabama's star field goal kicker... And I remember being payed above E-1, I think it was E-3 base pay?...

It was E-1 for my class (2001), unless you were prior service or had the JROTC thing in your contract (sign on as an E-3 for Navy, AF, Army & CG, E-2 USMC)

As far as the service commitment if you graduated and didn't show to I-Day, well that's what Senior told us the day before, and I remember reading something similar in our contract.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I'm not trying to argue with you or anything bubba, but I think that he was just trying to scare you guys out of wasting the Navy's time/money.:eek: I asked my dad (USNA admissions 1998-2001) and he said that the academy views NAPS graduates the same as civilians with an appointment to USNA. After NAPS you sign your discharge papers and recieve an appointment to the academy. If you don't show your discharge goes in to effect on the date written on your papers.

You're probably right about the pay. Its been a while... I remember getting somewhere around 900 dollars a month. We got around 1400-1500 a month at OCS as E-5's so E-1 does sound about right looking back on it.

How do you like prowlers by the way?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Not trying to argue... just putting forth the info that I got... no harm, no foul...

Prowlers are fun. First flight today.. friggin 3.6, which means about 5.0 strapped to the seat. Got my first (very) minor case of seat-ass... tho I don't know if I can really call it that. Aside from that, it was a good ride... 4 low levels through the Cascades. You can't see much fom the back.. CB panel in the way. But there is something to be said about flying through the mountains and looking UP at the ground at times.

From what I've done in the sims and class so far, I think I' going to love the mission and such. Hopefully I'll get to fly a coule times a week.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Prowlers are fun. First flight today.. friggin 3.6, which means about 5.0 strapped to the seat. Got my first (very) minor case of seat-ass... tho I don't know if I can really call it that. Aside from that, it was a good ride... 4 low levels through the Cascades. You can't see much fom the back.. CB panel in the way. But there is something to be said about flying through the mountains and looking UP at the ground at times.

From what I've done in the sims and class so far, I think I' going to love the mission and such. Hopefully I'll get to fly a coule times a week.

Great to hear, man.