• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAMI Visit

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
My son who is an OCS complete pre commission Marine is going down to P'Cola for his flight physical next week. He is scheduled to be down there Monday Tuesday and Wed.

I'm curious, can anyone who has reciently been thru it tell me if it usually takes all three days of being poked and prodded to determine if you are good to go or not?

Can anyone describe the highlights of the process from check in until finish?

He is a SNFO select that has had PRK (now 20/15) and will be applying for SNA if he gets thru NAMI.

Thanks in advance for any insight

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I'm not a Marine, but hydrate and proper rest can go a long way when being having a flight physical.

Cookie!

My roomate and I both will be going down there as well. My OSO has talked a little about the process and according to him not everyone will need to stay the full three days.
While he is there he will probably take a 3 day Blood Pressure/Heart Rate test twice a day. If he hasn't done this then he will definitely be there the whole time, otherwise I have no idea.
What is your son's name? We'll probably bump into each other at some point.

Nose

pilot
Hydration helps with lots of stuff. Eyes, bp, ability to pee in a cup, etc.

lukec

i went the first week of december. it really only takes monday (the pokin' etc.) tuesday morning is for body measurements and dental. if there are no probs. then they let you change your flight and leave tues. afternoon. it's pretty much MEPS on steroids, nothing to different really. best of luck to your son

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Since you guys were kind enough to reply with info I thought I'd offer a quick update on my son's most excellent NAMI adventure.

It was a most excellent adventure because he passed his flight physical and got a WR (Waver Reccommended) for his vision.

Overall he agreed it was MEPS on steroids with a couple of short duration frights thrown in that got his attention. The NAMI staff seemed very professional and helpful. He met some good people, got to talk with some SNA's that were already classed up and a few guys already winged. Watched the super bowl in the E Club in his "candidate attire"

His only real fright came when the corpsman first glanced at his file and saw the word LASIK. He advised my kid that there was no reason to go any farther because of course LASIK is not waverable. They went round and round for a bit until the doc came in and got things straightened out. Turns out the admin people where his LASEK (PRK) was done wrote LASIK on the cover page and not LASEK.

Secondly during the eye test he realized his vision wasn't as sharp as it had been at his last Dr apt. Last time he was checked he scored 20/15 in both eyes. At NAMI he did 20/20 and 20/30. He did a great job of staying hydrated during the week before NAMI and didn't drink any beer etc. He thinks it was because he only got about 2 hrs sleep the night before the eye exam. He was so worked up he just couldn't fall asleep. My guess is that with a little rest he will do better next check up.

At any rate a WR was given!

The only other thing that bothered him was that his collesterol was super high. It's always checked out in the normal range but he ate a large pizza just before the fasting cut off so that must have caused it. It never came up again after the corpsman told him what it was.

Of the 3 guys his OSO sent 2 were PQ and 1 was NPQ for depth perception.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Make sure he follows up on the waiver. Wait 2 weeks and call in to check the status of the waiver. Sometimes records get lost or misplaced. The only way you can find out if your physical is not being processed in a timely matter is to periodically check on it. Just call front desk and ask to talk to someone who can get into the system to check on the waiver.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Did he fast for the previous 12 hours?

BTW, good luck to your son; you must be proud.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Make sure he follows up on the waiver. Wait 2 weeks and call in to check the status of the waiver. Sometimes records get lost or misplaced. The only way you can find out if your physical is not being processed in a timely matter is to periodically check on it. Just call front desk and ask to talk to someone who can get into the system to check on the waiver.

The front Desk at NAMI? Is it listed with infromation as NAMI?

Thanks for the advice.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Did he fast for the previous 12 hours?

BTW, good luck to your son; you must be proud.

He said he ate the pizza just before the 12 hr fasting window. I hope that's what caused the high reading. He's never had a problem with it before.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I am very proud. He comes from a Marine Corps family. His grandfather flew Hellcats, AD's and Panthers for the Marines. I was a Marine Corps grunt (tallent apparently really does skip a generation) and his younger brother is a Marine L/Cpl headed to Iraq as a humvee gunner for a Combat Logistics Battalion Security Company.