• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nametags on flightsuits

darrylcn

I was lucky enough to spend some time aboard USS Wasp a week or so ago (along with a few thousand other folks) and while aboard for the tour a couple things struck me as odd that lead to some thoughts. First, I was surprised at how open the ship is inside, it makes sense because of the nature of its mission, but wow.

The actual questions concern an MH-60S crewman that was aboard:
One, is it common for USN a/c to be on Navy ships that are basically Marine aviation ships? I had assumed when I heard Wasp was visiting that there'd be Harriers, V-22s, etc. Sadly it was just the two MH-60s and an engine/glass/instrument/door-less Phrog that is progressively being destroyed for rescue training aboard.
Two, he had an embroidered nametag, "Rainbow Brite" :)D). Was that just a 'here comes the public, let's be goofballs' thing? He also said something to the effect of "We do SEAL inserts, VERTREP, etc, everything except hunt subs because that's boring and nobody wants to do that anyway", which made me think a few folks on here might differ with that opinion.. Not wanting to be "airshow guy", I didn't say anything to that comment though..

Thanks for any help.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can't speak to anything else in your post, but nametags/patches with callsigns only are not that unusual on the Navy side. Seriously doubt they were just putting on a show for you in that respect.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The MH-60S was probably onboard as a Search and Rescue asset. I don't know if you should have been disappointed. Most civilian folks don't get the opportunity to be that close to military aircraft.

Most Navy patches are embroidered when we wear it with the flight suit. Not unusual for a nametag to have just a call-sign on it. Marines wear a leather name patch.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
One, is it common for USN a/c to be on Navy ships that are basically Marine aviation ships?

Yes, the MH-60S were the SAR helicopter for the ship.
When the Marines fly, a Navy helo is also airborne to provide SAR capability (also called Plane Guard) for the ship and the Marines.

When a big deck (Amphib or Carrier) goes to sea for any reason, the ship Captain likes to have helos embarked to provide the flexibility for SAR and MedEvac.

darrylcn

BigIron, Pags:
Aww crap, I'm re-reading my post now and I think I came across the wrong way. "Sadly" was the wrong word to use for sure, it was awesome! I just meant I was picturing a flight deck full of planes and got 2.33 helos when I expected a variety of a/c. Still had a blast, even though it was a TWO HOUR wait for security checks and sheer numbers of people who showed up, the wife (who is inexplicably understanding of my airplane obsession) and I had a great time. I don't think they were expecting the number of people who'd turn out to see what they do, couple people looked a little frazzled over the crowd size while we were on board. I was thinking at the time how cool it is to actually be standing on the flight deck of a ship where all kinds of cool action happens. Also got on USS Barry and Gettysburg, all and all a sweet time and a nice primer for our airshow which is coming up in Sept. We got the East Coast Super Hornet demo this year, will be the first time I've seen one in person.

Appreciate the answers, as always!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
BigIron, Pags:
Aww crap, I'm re-reading my post now and I think I came across the wrong way.

To me it read like a kid in a candy store who found only one kind of candy but was still thrilled- and I can identify with that sentiment (the candy and the aircraft).

Subhunting = ASW ("awfully slow warfare"), what's not to like about that? :D

-Jim (who used to fly ASW helicopters)

darrylcn

Heh, glad my point was made. Having missed the airshow last year it was neat to be within feet of something tactical gray (i think thats the USN paint colour?) again.

Pags

N/A
pilot
BigIron, Pags:
Aww crap, I'm re-reading my post now and I think I came across the wrong way. "Sadly" was the wrong word to use for sure, it was awesome! I just meant I was picturing a flight deck full of planes and got 2.33 helos when I expected a variety of a/c. Still had a blast, even though it was a TWO HOUR wait for security checks and sheer numbers of people who showed up, the wife (who is inexplicably understanding of my airplane obsession) and I had a great time. I don't think they were expecting the number of people who'd turn out to see what they do, couple people looked a little frazzled over the crowd size while we were on board. I was thinking at the time how cool it is to actually be standing on the flight deck of a ship where all kinds of cool action happens. Also got on USS Barry and Gettysburg, all and all a sweet time and a nice primer for our airshow which is coming up in Sept. We got the East Coast Super Hornet demo this year, will be the first time I've seen one in person.

Appreciate the answers, as always!

No worries, my feelings aren't hurt, hence the sarcastic reply :) I understand wanting to see ALL the cool gear.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
also said something to the effect of "We do SEAL inserts, VERTREP, etc, everything except hunt subs because that's boring and nobody wants to do that anyway

And I think delivering the mail sounds incredibly boring. To each his own. . .

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
ASW requires things like "sensors" and "tactics". You can't expect things to get that complex when you fly a bird made for the Army.:icon_boxi

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Two, he had an embroidered nametag, "Rainbow Brite" :)D). Was that just a 'here comes the public, let's be goofballs' thing? He also said something to the effect of "We do SEAL inserts, VERTREP, etc, everything except hunt subs because that's boring and nobody wants to do that anyway", which made me think a few folks on here might differ with that opinion.. Not wanting to be "airshow guy", I didn't say anything to that comment though..

Thanks for any help.

The crewman was right on - VERTREP is the most fun you'll have in a helo!! Seriously - ask people what they put down as their first choice out of advanced helos. The majority want HSC for a reason.

The nametag - not unusual. You'll see all kinds of crazy stuff on patches.

The -60S is a f'ing awesome aircraft!! Don't mess with it ;) :D

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
ASW requires things like "sensors" and "tactics". You can't expect things to get that complex when you fly a bird made for the Army.:icon_boxi

??? The H-60? Or specifically the H-60S?

Seriously, I loved ASW...when I was actually doing it. Now that I fly for the Army, I love flying the 60M. I have not done a lot of VERTREP, but if it is like Bambi buckets on a fire, I could see how that would be fun too. But the "most fun in a helo?", not even close. The trick is to be able to mix it up. Doing nothing but the same thing over and over can get boring. Some things quicker than others. Starboard D? .... boring after the first 1/2 lap.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The crewman was right on - VERTREP is the most fun you'll have in a helo!! Seriously - ask people what they put down as their first choice out of advanced helos. The majority want HSC for a reason.

That reason is they want to fly CSAR and NSW; not VERTREP.

TERF & Low Level through the mountains has been the most fun I've ever had in the aircraft, especially Day Terfs in the PI!! (No rules there)

CSAR and NSW are exciting missions, hence movies and books on the topic. I'm still waiting for the Hollywood movie on VERTREP...