• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

N.Korea nuclear test

SkywardET

Contrarian
A wise man seeks victory, then goes to war. A fool goes to war, then seeks a way to win.

Last time this "war" we're at with North Korea was raging, more than a million Chinese flooded down the peninsula. What will happen if it flares up once more?

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Last time this "war" we're at with North Korea was raging, more than a million Chinese flooded down the peninsula. What will happen if it flares up once more?

Hopefully we'd balance the trade deficit with a lot of raw materials, i.e. hot lead

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
How exactly do you plan to kick their ass? I think we have already established that we do not have money and personnel to successfully engage another conventional war unless you suggest a nuclear engagement which you already know is not a viable option. So I guess we need to have some countries join us. Those countries that backed out on Iraq, do you remember? Before we even go to those countries, let us get majority of our citizens to buy in on it. Believe it or not, a lack of public consensus on the use of force is the quickest way to lose a war.

Concur. We are stretched too this at present to start a third war. This problem is right in Chinas backyard, we need to let them take care of it.

I agree with Flash on the technology/deliverability issue. Just becuase they test one nuke doesnt mean they are anywhere near putting together a weapon system that could seriously threaten anyone else in the region. Besides, if they really were a major threat the Chinese would be doing more about than they are.

Bevo16

pilot
The North Koreans are doing virtually everthing they can right now to get attention, and it seems to mostly be falling on deaf ears. They are "testing" missiles right and left, blowing up nukes, calling South Korea's signing on to the non-proliferation treaty an act of war...etc...

They sound a lot like a 3 year old kid who is trying to get attention. The more you ignore them, the louder they get. I guess we will see how loud they are willing to get before some action is taken. It is pretty obvious they don't give a flip about sanctions. Giving them the silent treatment might just be the best course of action. See how much rope it takes for them to hang themselves.

OBTW, we do have 20,000 troops in South Korea, so it is not like we don't have a presence there. There are 2 CSG's that can be on station in VERY short order as well. There is no reason to pretend that we could not fuck them up in a very serious way if we decided to.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
OBTW, we do have 20,000 troops in South Korea, so it is not like we don't have a presence there. There are 2 CSG's that can be on station in VERY short order as well. There is no reason to pretend that we could not fuck them up in a very serious way if we decided to.

Seems like a pretty big assumption considering they have the fourth largest standing army in the world.

Bevo16

pilot
Seems like a pretty big assumption considering they have the fourth largest standing army in the world.

And this army is so skilled due to their vast combat experience, multi-national training exercises, and top notch technology? Right? Uh, no.

I am not trying to say that they are a bunch of guys with sticks and slingshots, but the North Korean Army does not keep anyone up at night.

A million men standing in open ground with no aircover when we have TLAM'd the shit out their air defenses and shot down all of their aircraft is not a lot to worry about. This is not a fight that North Korea really wants. You know it, I know it, they know it.

There's a story of a Nazi general talking to a Swiss general during WWII and asking him "What will you do if I send a million men marching into Switzerland?"

The Swiss generals response was "We will all shoot twice and then go home."

That same premise applies here.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The PDRK leadership knows very well that we would have lots of precision munitions flying into the establishments where they like to drink their Hennesey very quickly. They really aren't too keen on getting into a no shit shooting war with us, despite our being stretched thin.

JonDW7

I'm a little surprised that nobody has brought up China being involved with this. I would honestly be surprised if the Chinese were not offering some type of materiel, scientists, or information to help the North Koreans develop the nukes. The problem is that the US and Chinese economies are too reliant on each other. Outright war would not favor either economy.

This creates an interesting dilemna for both sides. If/when rounds go downrange, will it be a repeat of the Korean War, where the Chinese fight against the US? It is plausible. Make no mistake about it, China wants to be a superpower.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I'm a little surprised that nobody has brought up China being involved with this. I would honestly be surprised if the Chinese were not offering some type of materiel, scientists, or information to help the North Koreans develop the nukes. The problem is that the US and Chinese economies are too reliant on each other. Outright war would not favor either economy.

This creates an interesting dilemna for both sides. If/when rounds go downrange, will it be a repeat of the Korean War, where the Chinese fight against the US? It is plausible. Make no mistake about it, China wants to be a superpower.

China has more to lose than to gain from North Korea getting nukes. China is trying to have the best of both worlds. They are happy with stability and continuing to make gradual gains; North Korea causing problems might upset that. On the other hand, a hostile, but non-belligerent North Korea keeps the U.S. occupied to a certain extent, and also gives the Chinese the opportunity to be gain prestige for being part of the negotiations, helping to keep the peace by influencing North Korea, etc.

Clux4

Banned
Probably a benign one