• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My quest for final select

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
I was pro-rec’d for SNA way back in May. I had already been cleared by Meps at this point, so I was merrily making plans to swear in. In early July I found out that my medical was held up because I have Hydroceles (without getting too into it my “boys” let me down). The flight surgeons at CNRC didn’t want to risk it so they pushed my Hydrocele issue on to a Captain flight surgeon at Bethesda naval hospital. After about 4 weeks word came back from Bethesda saying my physical was inconclusive. Luckily for me I scheduled a full flight physical at NAS Whidbey for August 28th.
When I went in for the physical the optometrist wasn’t in. I had to come back and finish on September 9th.when I actually saw the flight surgeon on the 9th; he cleared me fit for naval aviation. I was told that I should get a copy within a couple of days; 3 weeks went by before I found out that they had forgotten to get my weight and measurements (so my physical wasn’t complete). I drove for a third time to the hospital to finish one physical. After that another week went by and I found out that they forgot to test my blood for HIV, so I spent $20 to get it done at my college. I sent in the negative results and four days later my physical was finally complete. The Friday before last my recruiter sent my medical up for review.

The moral of the story is to always bring extra medical documents to physicals and check up to make sure everything is actually done. Also does anyone know how long a medical review from CNRC takes?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

When you went to MEPS the first time, did you not have a folder with all the required tests on a sheet of paper?

I went from one station to the next (with long waits in between) and after completing each test there was a check in the box and an initial. I would think this is standard practice, but apparently not. That sucks, but sounds like everything will work out in the end..albeit it must have been very frustrating.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I brought a folder with me and labeled it Navy Medical and asked for copies of everything they had. So everything they have on my medical I have a copy of in case something goes missing.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Yikes, that's rough. I don't think I could stand waiting 6+ months on that final select. If I get selected i'm optimistically hoping for no more than a month wait before I can swear in, but i'm waiting on a few waivers so who knows how long that'll be.

Regarding MEPS, I brought nothing on my day. I really had no idea what to expect, and was in a rush to even get down there when I was scheduled. My recruiter had faxed everything important, so I just showed up and followed the instructions. They did tell me that since I was a 'red dot' that I would follow a set plan for the day, but I didn't really stick to it. I just made sure I got the complete vision check, and the rest (hearing, ortho, blood, and urine) seemed pretty standard. Hopefully I won't have to go down there again..

On the plus side, at least you have now seen a flight surgeon. I'm assuming that should keep you from any NPQ suprises at NAMI.

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
When you went to MEPS the first time, did you not have a folder with all the required tests on a sheet of paper?

I went from one station to the next (with long waits in between) and after completing each test there was a check in the box and an initial. I would think this is standard practice, but apparently not. That sucks, but sounds like everything will work out in the end..albeit it must have been very frustrating.

The physical at Whidbey had stations like MEPS except it was a little faster paced, but they just forgot to do certain parts. It appeared that physical was done even though it really wasn't. Nobody called me either when they found out that it was incomplete. And yes it has been extremely frustrating!

nugget61

pilot
Did you have to do anything special for them to not cancel your pro-rec and make you reapply after you clear medical? My OR told me that my pro-rec will disappear if I get PRK now...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yikes, that's rough. I don't think I could stand waiting 6+ months on that final select. If I get selected i'm optimistically hoping for no more than a month wait before I can swear in, but i'm waiting on a few waivers so who knows how long that'll be.

Regarding MEPS, I brought nothing on my day. I really had no idea what to expect, and was in a rush to even get down there when I was scheduled. My recruiter had faxed everything important, so I just showed up and followed the instructions. They did tell me that since I was a 'red dot' that I would follow a set plan for the day, but I didn't really stick to it. I just made sure I got the complete vision check, and the rest (hearing, ortho, blood, and urine) seemed pretty standard. Hopefully I won't have to go down there again..

On the plus side, at least you have now seen a flight surgeon. I'm assuming that should keep you from any NPQ suprises at NAMI.
Did it take more that 2 hours?

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
Did you have to do anything special for them to not cancel your pro-rec and make you reapply after you clear medical? My OR told me that my pro-rec will disappear if I get PRK now...
I talked to my recruiter today, he said that my pro-rec has been canceled. However, I should be able to get it back with once my physical is cleared.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA

Yeah, I got there at 6am and didn't leave until around 11. Would have been around 10 but I had to stay for 3 more blood pressure readings. I'm assuming you ask because of the whole voting thread though. I guess i'm never going to live that down.. :(

nugget61

pilot
I talked to my recruiter today, he said that my pro-rec has been canceled. However, I should be able to get it back with once my physical is cleared.

Eh? How so? My OR told me that if I go through with my PRK then my final select will be canceled and I'll have to reapply. Sounds like you just had yours on hold. Can you keep me updated about this?

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Eh? How so? My OR told me that if I go through with my PRK then my final select will be canceled and I'll have to reapply. Sounds like you just had yours on hold. Can you keep me updated about this?

I think YOUR cancellation is done and final should you decide to get PRK now. You'll have to reapply some time (3 mos? 6 mos?) after being released from the doctor.

The OP sounds like his has merely been put on hold

PA-28III

Pro-Rec SNA with BDCP
I’m pretty sure my pro-rec wasn’t put on hold, but I've been in the blue for a lot of the process and I am far from knowledgeable. I do know that it has timed out (I should have said that instead of canceled). Once my medical is cleared my OR will have to call a selection officer at CNRC (not sure of the exact title) and explain how I was NPQ'd, but now cleared. After my OR explains the situation I should get the pro-rec reinstated and be able to swear in.

CalPolyPilot

Did yours take 2 hours? I just had my Medical done at the Los Angeles MEPS and I don't think in all of my 21 years I have had a longer day.

I got to MEPS at 4:30 am and didn't leave the parking lot untill 4:00 pm. (Thats 11.5 Hours!!) Then I had the 4 hour drive back to SLO.

Apparently, my recruiter left out the fact that the LA MEPS is the busiest in the country. If I remember right they processed at least 300 recruits that day. I got there somewhat before the bus loads so I was first in line for some of the tests; however, the others had lines that lasted hours. To make matters worse, I had a sinus infection, so being couped up in the building for 11 hours was definitely hell on earth.

Anyways, I passed all the tests and I don't have to go back until I swear in sometime in December. The Moral of the story is if you have to go to MEPS and you live in California go on a Tuesday or Wednesday, apparently they are less busy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Did yours take 2 hours? I just had my Medical done at the Los Angeles MEPS and I don't think in all of my 21 years I have had a longer day.
Well since I went to whatever version of MEPS existed 5 or 6 years before you were born, I really can't remember.