• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My PLC Marine officer essay

Lonestar155

is good to go
I just finished my essay and now I would like to recieve some feedback from those who have seen or wrote their own personal statements. Let me know what you think or what changes may be needed. Tomarrow at 1300 I am also taking my ASTB test. You guys have been like brothers on here passing around the gouge and helping out. WISH ME LUCK AND I WISH I COULD MEET AND WORK WITH ALL OF YOU IN THE FLEET SOMEDAY!

deleted for revision

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
most fiercest military’s in the world

I am ready to instill my leadership and motivational values in the Marine Corps and becoming to the best Marine/officer/aviator that I can be.

Strunk & White Grammar might be a good start.

Did we ever develop an "official policy" about this practice?

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Ultimately this is where I want to be, striking down on enemy targets and ensuring my fellow Marines on the ground that they have a good pilot to give them the support they need. The Marines will need men like myself with motivation and decision making skills in order to keep the Marines strong. I am ready to instill my leadership and motivational values in the Marine Corps and become the best Marine/officer/aviator that I can be.

The first part is a bit too dramatic. Also, I would get rid of the part about putting your leadership into the Marine Corps. I know what you're trying to do, but it almost sounds like you think they need your help (which sounds insulting).

Marine4life

Not bad, not bad. I will make one suggestion, try writing about how you came to the decision of becoming a Marine officer. What experiences in your life created this desire? The key word in the question is, 'why'? I'm not sure if there is a correct way to write the essay, it's possible that the selection board may just want to see that you can write coherently. But, if I was on the selection board I would much rather read about someone's life experience and how it's shaped them, than what they've accomplished.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Not bad, not bad. I will make one suggestion, try writing about how you came to the decision of becoming a Marine officer. What experiences in your life created this desire? The key word in the question is, 'why'? I'm not sure if there is a correct way to write the essay, it's possible that the selection board may just want to see that you can write coherently. But, if I was on the selection board I would much rather read about someone's life experience and how it's shaped them, than what they've accomplished.

Very good point! Good thing I posted this although I was hesitant, but I will work on it a bit more and focus on the main question.. Thanks fellas

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
It seems really long. When I did my PLC essay, I was restricted to only 100 words. Have the rules changed?

sanders

I was restricted to 90-100 words. Make sure when you do it you spend however long it takes to make it look perfect. No scratchouts or whiteouts.

Ribida

I just want to say before hand that I'm not a Marine, not even in any branch of the military at the moment (leave in 4 days), but I think I do a pretty good job of writing essays like this, so If you're still working on it I'd like to give a few pieces of advice.

Try to be frank with the people you are writing to, think about what they read each day from all of the other people. Everyone has dreams of flying missions, dropping bombs, serving their country. It's great to let the Marine corp know you have these dreams, but I wouldn't spend much time there, instead focus more on what some of the above posters said. Talk about why you came to the decision you came to.

Very much of the application process, for anything, and I'd probably say most of Basic Training is to make sure you are the right cut of person for the job and to make sure your reasons for doing this are correct. Put the reader of the essay in your shoes, tell them what you were thinking about when you decided this was your decision, tell them what some of your short/long term goals are.

If it's any help some of the things I talked about in my essay for my Navy application were: Starting a tradition in my family, to be the first pilot of many and have something to pass down to my children and grandchildren. To have the stories to tell once I retire and the life experiences only the military can give. A steady job in the world of Enron's and Worldcom's who drop employees without a second thought.

Again I'm not a Marine, and your essay was already taken down when I read this, but what I gathered from the quotes was enough to make me think we're both writing about a similar topic. Hope this helps some.

-Rob

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle

This is good advice in my opinion. Try to emphasize the fact that you are going in with a "blank slate" mentality. Hence, the Marine Corps. will instill INTO YOU the values and traits which you need to become an effective leader. The other advice offered up was very helpful, life stories is probably the best piece of advice around... involve them in your essay by relating something stimulating or out of the ordinary. Good Luck!

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
This is good advice in my opinion. Try to emphasize the fact that you are going in with a "blank slate" mentality. Hence, the Marine Corps. will instill INTO YOU the values and traits which you need to become an effective leader. The other advice offered up was very helpful, life stories is probably the best piece of advice around... involve them in your essay by relating something stimulating or out of the ordinary. Good Luck!

So this is interesting, and doesn't relate directly to his essay. I was watching a pre-ship OCS video, and it talked about how the purpose of OCS is to screen for leadership aptitude and quality of character vice teach anything. To what extent is this the case? Is leadership taught at TBS, or is that mainly tactics and field exercises? When does formal leadership training take place if at all?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
It depends on the program somewhat. During the Juniors portion of the PLC program the entire mission is to "screen and evaluate" ... Seniors does the same, with more emphasis on leadership skills however (ie SULE II as opposed to just SULE I). In reality, the bulk of your leadership training is going to be imparted upon you in TBS. OCS is far from being an in-depth leadership training type of ordeal. Typically you do undergo leadership training, however. This consists of a number of Leadership classes, as well as holding platoon billets (FT leader, sq. leader, plt sgt. etc.), as well as coordinating things in field exercises (SULE I/II, Squad in the O etc.) Basically, your platoon and company staff want to make sure that you contain basic leadership skills, and MOST importantly that you can make decisions under pressure. Note that this doesn't necesarily mean the "right" decision, just that you can make a decision period. So they are essentially screening you on your leadership abilities. Its not in depth, you don't have to be Patton jr., but if you can't make decisions and don't have basic leadership skills you'll most likely be weeded out. A level-headed individual that can be flexible and make decisions under pressure to some level of proficiency won't have too much trouble with this facet of OCS.