• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My other NROTC essay

anonymousgoat

Here is my second NROTC essay. I promise to make it less painful then the first one. Please tell me any criticism/comments you have on it. Thanks to everyone who is willing to read.

How might your background and experiences enhance the US Naval Service?

My background and experiences have created the well-rounded individual who I am today, an individual who aspires to become a Naval Officer. I believe that the activities I have participated in and the skills I’ve acquired in my life will allow me to greatly enhance the US Naval Service.

One of my most valuable assets is undoubtedly my love of learning. Both inside and outside of school I go above and beyond the standards to satisfy this love. Inside of school, I take the most difficult courses I can handle, and I tackle each and every subject with a fierce intensity. Outside of class, I enjoy programming computer games in my spare time. These games I create allow me to apply the computer languages I’ve studied in the classroom to a use that has concrete results and is fun. My thirst for knowledge will allow me to succeed at engineering in college and quickly learn the more technical parts of my job as a Naval Officer. I believe that what I have already learned in my studies as well as the things I am yet to learn will benefit the Naval Service immensely.

Although I have a passion for learning, I cannot be defined solely by my academic endeavors. The physical activities that I have participated in will give me the strength and discipline that is needed to competently serve in the Navy. As a member of the Varsity Cross Country and my neighborhood swim team, I have been frequently up before six o’clock in the morning in order to train. Through these early morning workouts, I have learned to push myself to my limits and have developed the physical ability and determination required to excel in the US Naval Service.

A final, important way I will be able to enhance the Naval Service is through my leadership experiences. As an Eagle Scout and the Trumpet Section leader in my marching band, I have had many chances to lead others. Whether it’s assigning tasks to scouts in a community service project or getting the freshmen through an eight hour marching rehearsal, I am constantly refining my leadership abilities. The Navy will be the perfect place to put the leadership skills that I’m constantly building into action.

I know that given the chance, I will be more than able to improve the Naval Service. I look forward to putting the skills that I’ve acquired from my background and experiences into good use, serving our country as a Naval Officer.

MasterBates

You sound like the nerd from hell, but this is far superior to the crap you put out earlier.

THIS is in the ballpark.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
Here is my second NROTC essay. I promise to make it less painful then the first one. Please tell me any criticism/comments you have on it. Thanks to everyone who is willing to read.

How might your background and experiences enhance the US Naval Service?

My background and experiences have created the well-rounded individual who I am today, an individual who aspires to become a Naval Officer.

Don't talk about yourself in passive tense or third person.

You don't engage up front with any insight into your ability to work with others. Good in school--got it. You rock coding games---got it. You run and swim hard--good. Can you give someone directions to the Men's room without pi$$ing them off? You don't attempt to answer that question until your fourth paragraph.

The raw material seems to be there. Try redoing the essay in reverse order. Talk about leadership and teamwork first and then about how you're mentally and physically prepared for a variety of assignments and experiences. Use active tense the whole way and speak in the first person. See how it reads then.

Good luck.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
This might be my own personal beef (and please shut me up if I'm on my own here :D ), but I hate expressions like 'each and every' and 'more than able'. IMHO, brevity is a hallmark of a good communicator, not flowy, redundant idioms. Say in ten words what you are now using thirty to say.

Other than that little nitpick, I like this essay much better than your other one. THIS is the kind of material you should be submitting to employers, not just to the military, but for the rest of your adult life. Leave the flowery language in high school where you get graded for that stuff.

anonymousgoat

Done

I made a few changes to the essay and then I submitted my electronic application for the NROTC Scholarship. Thank you so much to everyone who helped review my essays, at least I won't look like a complete fool before the board. :)

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
EDIT: Submitted already? Never mind then.

Hey and what happened to the screeching six-year-old part? That was awesome! See if you can add that back in and resubmit...