• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My NROTC Essay need help

cummings15

Here Is what I have for my essay can some one give me some ideas on how to make it better.
NROTC Essay​
I desire to become a Naval Officer to serve my country. I want to be part of the force that protects our country and all the people inside. I want to stand among the ranks and know that I am protecting the USA. I have had some family in the military so I know what kind of person it takes to be an officer. My Dad served in the Navy for 22 years and my cousin is currently in Army ROTC. I know it will be touch but I am ready for the challenge.
Being in the Navy will help improve me mentally and physically. The intense training I will endure will help prepare me to become the best Naval Officer I can be. This training will help me advance along the path of greatness. I look forward to rising to the challenge and becoming a Naval Officer.
The Navy will guarantee that I have a stable future. Most students are confused when they get out of college but I will know precisely where I am going to work. I want to become the best Naval Officer I can be.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Okay, we are going to do this fast, like a Band-Aid. I know it will hurt but it is the best thing. Ready!!

DAMN!! It seems like you have never written an essay before. There is no organization beyond a simple thesis. You have spelling errors, no paragraphs and no coherent flow of thought. Your ideas aren't bad, in fact they are good; however, you are not expressing them clearly.

It is beyond my ability to address everything here. Go online and look up the 5 paragraph essay structure. Start by mapping your ideas etc. The good news is writing is a very attainable skill, it just takes practice and re-writing. There is a great place to learn this, it's called college and it looks like you are on your way. Get someone to help you with this, English teacher etc.

Good luck,

Steve

cummings15

I desire to become a Naval Officer to serve my country. I want to be part of the force that protects our country and all the people inside. I want to stand among the ranks and know that I am protecting the USA.

Being in the Navy will help improve me mentally and physically. The intense training I will endure will help prepare me to become the best Naval Officer I can be. This training will help me advance along the path of greatness. I know it will be touch but I am ready for the challenge. I look forward to rising to the challenge and becoming a Naval Officer.

The Navy will guarantee that I have a stable future. Most students are confused when they get out of college but I will know precisely where I am going to work. I want to become the best Naval Officer I can be.

Short

None
This needs a lot of work, and I think that sitting down with an English teacher will be the best thing for you (to not only help you with your essay, but to also prepare you for college level writing). It doesn't matter what you are intending to study; as an officer you need to be able to clearly communicate a forceful argument or idea through writing.

A couple of the sentences use the same subject in concurrent sentences, i.e., you refer to the country in the second and third sentences in the first paragraph.

I personally (and I don't know what the reaction of the board, or whoever reads this would be) have a huge problem with your last paragraph. The last thing I would want to hear from a young man or woman about to start on their path is that they, in the limited space allocated, want to be a leader in the Naval service for job security.

A couple of other minor points; "tough" not touch, and a future leader isn't going to stand among the ranks, but stand in front of them. Seriously, sit down with an English teacher now, and it will pay off huge for you down the road.

nikiterp86

Pro-rec'd INTEL!!!!!
Possibly, but I know a lot of high school kids who can't write worth a damn. I TAed some freshman classes when I was a senior in college and I was shocked by the essays I got from the majority of the students. It's a shame, so many schools just don't emphasize writing enough, and the students end up suffering in college as a result.

Immy

Wow, yeah. You need to learn how to flow. Those are quite possible the most choppy three paragraphs (if you can call them that) I've ever read.

You should really follow a five paragraph structure as mentioned, and really try to beef up those paragraphs. They're quite lacking. And, as I said, you need to have much better flow. Try varying the sentence structure from sentence to sentence. Saying, "This will do this" three times in a row with varying nouns/verbs doesn't sound good.

That's not even touching on content, there needs to be quite a bit more elaboration.

cummings15

here is my revised essay
i have been working on it for week with my English tutor

There are many reasons why I desire to become a Naval Officer. I realize that in order to become a Naval Officer it will take lots of time and effort. The reason at the top of my list is to serve my country. I believe that serving ones’ country is very honorable.

Having a father who has served in the Navy, I am not a total stranger to military service. Serving in the Navy will help me gain valuable life and leadership qualities that cannot be gained anywhere else. Physically, the standards set by the Navy will motivate me to keep myself as healthy as I possibly can. Mentally, all the knowledge I will have gained in college will be of great importance while serving in the Navy. It is a huge responsibility, and with so many men and women depending on one's leadership as an officer I can see why the standards are so high for officers. I hope that I can meet those standards and lead to the best of my abilities. Anything I can do to make myself into a better leader I will do. I know what type of person it takes to be an officer, and what type of extraordinary people they are. You can recognize them by the pride with which they hold themselves and the confidence with which they speak. They are willing not only to give up their life for their country, but also to lead likeminded men and women who are willing to do the same. They have to make split second decisions that test who they are and will vastly impact the lives of those under their command. This is the type of person I want to be; a Naval Officer.

I also firmly believe that I can prove myself as an asset to the Navy. My life experiences up to this point, playing varsity soccer, running cross country, being a soccer referee, and succeeding in the classroom, will only benefit the Navy if I am so fortunate as to gain commission. My training as an athlete most definitely has taught me the value of discipline. As a member of the cross country team and travel soccer team, I often have had to wake up before six o’clock in the morning in order to get up and train and play. Although it is never fun to wake up that early, I know that it is crucial to my performance as an athlete to train regularly, and wake up early to be the best I can be. I will be able to use this discipline to stick through the training that I will face during my service. My background and experiences have helped me develop crucial traits such as discipline, competence, and knowledge that I will be able to use to effectively enhance the US Naval Service.

Another major reason that I want to become a Naval Officer is to ensure myself a stable future. Serving in the military is an honorable job. Whenever I meet someone who serves in the military, no matter how much I know about the person, there is an automatic degree of respect that I have for them. It would be nice to have a job where strangers look up to you. It will also be nice to get out of college, a time where many students are uncertain about their future, and know exactly where I plan to work. I hold a belief that by becoming a Naval Officer will only serve to better myself as a person.

Another reason I want to become a Naval Officer is in order to improve myself, both mentally and physically. A natural trait in human nature is to strive for greatness. It is this innate characteristic that built the houses we live in, that created the ships that protect our country, and that sent men to defend our country; it is this attribute which I posses that drives me to become a Naval Officer. I believe that the process of becoming a Naval Officer, the physical and mental rigors that I will endure and the skills I will learn, will help me advance along this path to greatness. I know that only the best of the best become Naval Officers, and I look forward to the challenge of rising to the height where I can one-day stand in front of the ranks. Becoming a naval officer will make me stronger, smarter, and a better leader. I know that becoming a Naval Officer will help me to be the best I can be. I realize that becoming a Naval Officer isn't going to be easy, that officers have to go through rigorous mental and physical training before they can receive their commissions. I look forward to the challenge. I know that the intensive training I will undergo on the path to becoming a Naval Officer will make me better physically, mentally, and morally.

The final reason I want to be a Naval Officer to serve my country. I want to be part of the elite force that protects our country. I believe I can become a successful officer in the United States Navy. I am not blindly pursuing a career as a Naval Officer, I have done continuous hours of research on this choice, and the more research I do about being a Naval Officer, the surer I am that this is what I want to become.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Excellent revision, quite convincing-- Now put it away for a couple of days then bring it out and look at it before you decide that you're done. If an idea occurs in the meantime, jot it down for later.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Want to improve on your writing? Take every opportunity to make sure every idea you put in to text is as clear, concise, and well-written as possible. Obviously the essay's shown improvement, but look at the start of your thread: punctuation, capitalization, etc, all went out the window. Practice like you play, and good writing skills will become natural instead of such a chore. For example, please don't respond to this with "i kno i just rite like that when i reply to forums etc etc i dont do it when it counts."

anonymousgoat

Not cool.....

Well, that's the last time I post an essay on any forums. Seriously though, plagiarism not very nice or respectable......especially on an essay for a military scholarship.

Here are some of the sentences from the essays I posted earlier:

"Because Naval Officers have played such a large part in my family life, I know what type of person it takes to be one, and what type of extraordinary people they are."

"As a member of the Varsity Cross Country and my neighborhood swim team, I have been frequently up before six o’clock in the morning in order to train."

"Another major reason that I want to become a Naval Officer is to ensure myself a stable future."

"An inherent trait in human nature is to strive for greatness."

"Whenever I meet someone who serves in the Armed Forces, no matter how much I know about that person’s character, there is an automatic degree of respect that I have for him."

"
I am not blindly pursuing a career as a Naval Officer, I have done endless hours of research on this career choice, and the more research I do about the Navy and Naval Officers, the surer I am that this is what I want to become."

All of these are from my older posts:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149915
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149870
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149524

There were more than what I posted, I just got tired of copying and pasting. That's not very cool. :(

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait until you see how Navy EVALs, FITREPs and awards are written.....

jtmedli

pilot
Another major reason that I want to become a Naval Officer is to ensure myself a stable future. Serving in the military is an honorable job. Whenever I meet someone who serves in the military, no matter how much I know about the person, there is an automatic degree of respect that I have for them. It would be nice to have a job where strangers look up to you. It will also be nice to get out of college, a time where many students are uncertain about their future, and know exactly where I plan to work. I hold a belief that by becoming a Naval Officer will only serve to better myself as a person.

I would just leave this whole part out. Not sure why but it just rubs me the wrong way. I don't think the Navy or any other employer is really going to care about "what is nice for you", but more like what you can offer them as an officer and what sets you apart from 'Joe Schmoe, the wannabe fighter pilot'.