• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
10.4". For what I use it for, it doesn't really do anything a CQBR doesn't do, but I've enjoyed shooting it and it's an interesting piece of history. At the moment, I'm having gas issues with it suppressed and full power ammo (Federal M193). It's overgassed, but that's a known issue. I have a heavier spring and buffer that I can put in there that's worked in the past, so I'll put it in there next week to make sure it's working like it used to again like when I was shooting less powerful ammo and the OEM action system.

BL: it's neat, I don't have any regrets, but it's a toy.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
10.4". For what I use it for, it doesn't really do anything a CQBR doesn't do, but I've enjoyed shooting it and it's an interesting piece of history. At the moment, I'm having gas issues with it suppressed and full power ammo (Federal M193). It's overgassed, but that's a known issue. I have a heavier spring and buffer that I can put in there that's worked in the past, so I'll put it in there next week to make sure it's working like it used to again like when I was shooting less powerful ammo and the OEM action system.

BL: it's neat, I don't have any regrets, but it's a toy.
Sounds like a reliable toy, good Sir. Which loading does it prefer at that length? Ever thought of making it into a 12.5, or do you prefer the 10.4?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sounds like a reliable toy, good Sir. Which loading does it prefer at that length? Ever thought of making it into a 12.5, or do you prefer the 10.4?

Part of what makes a 416 a 416 is the HK barrel. If you were to come by a longer barrel, I wouldn't recommend chopping it. The MR556 barrels aren't the same thing. Plus, it's a HK 416D upper. It's iconic. That's like having a MP5 with a 16" barrel. How would you crawl through air ducts with that?

But seriously, I think CBC M193 worked on it suppressed. I'm sure weaker ammo has less issues.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Part of what makes a 416 a 416 is the HK barrel. If you were to come by a longer barrel, I wouldn't recommend chopping it. The MR556 barrels aren't the same thing. Plus, it's a HK 416D upper. It's iconic. That's like having a MP5 with a 16" barrel. How would you crawl through air ducts with that?

But seriously, I think CBC M193 worked on it suppressed. I'm sure weaker ammo has less issues.
Seems like a 77 grain loading would be a better fit with that twist rate. Have you ever tried the heavier loadings with it?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm sure it would shoot really well, I just don't shoot the gun in a precision role and it's more than capable of hitting a B/C target at 300m with M193, and cheaper, too!

For SBR precision work and 77gr, I'll use my 12.5".

37095824126_9e284e9476_b.jpg

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I'm sure it would shoot really well, I just don't shoot the gun in a precision role and it's more than capable of hitting a B/C target at 300m with M193, and cheaper, too!

For SBR precision work and 77gr, I'll use my 12.5".

37095824126_9e284e9476_b.jpg
Night Force 1-8? Drools

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Your armory must be insane.

It looks more impressive when you just keep taking pictures of the same thing.

Meanwhile, after washing my hands twice and then taking a shower, there's still evidence that I solved my gas problem.

47638601611_85ffe2ba1d_b.jpg

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
It looks more impressive when you just keep taking pictures of the same thing.

Meanwhile, after washing my hands twice and then taking a shower, there's still evidence that I solved my gas problem.
View attachment 21798

47638601611_85ffe2ba1d_b.jpg
Officers get their hands dirty too, right? Hahaha

On a side note glad you solved the gas problem. Fortunately, I’ve never had to deal with one of those myself.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not my purchase, but I did get to shoot something new for the first time a couple weeks ago. Shot a buddy's ( lawyer, class 3, firearms trainer, competitor, owner of over 100 guns) AR pistol with stabilizing brace that was very comfortable shouldered, laser, can and BIBARY trigger. Holy crap! And they banned bump stocks? I had never heard of a binary trigger. When I was a kid I instructed trap and skeet and some of the old timers used release triggers to tame the flinch they developed from the pain of recoil in their arthritic shoulders. But the binary trigger was all new to me. Like combo release trigger and regular press. I also wasn't familiar with the legal changes to the use of a "stabilizing brace". Nice little set up. Fold the brace and it fits under the seat of a SUV or pick up, in a messenger bag or brief case. He owns a couple SBRs. One full auto. He built this one as an exercise to see how much he could legally do without the stamps (the can came later).

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Shouldering a pistol with a stabilizing brace makes it a SBR while it's being shouldered, is that your understanding of the ATF ruling? I took the brace off my Sig MPX to minimize any confusion.

ATF ruling on stabilizing braces

S/F
Negative Ghost Rider. BATF no longer views the act of shouldering a brace as an SBR - there is a more recent interpretation.

So much so that many OEM'S are shipping pistols with brace pre installed.

Recommend a trip to ar15 dot com.

Shows how illogical NFA laws are....

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Best way to find out how the ATF REALLY feels about braces on SBR's is to shoot someone with one. Until that happens it's anyone's guess as to what will happen. They have been known to change their minds. I don't have a SBR with a brace but I'm considering buying one. That said it damn sure won't be in my self defense rotation.