• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The M1 I have has the rear sight on the left. Is that the original sight design?

Yes, original design ... and original to your carbine unless you can detect 'stake' marks on the dovetail cut for the rear sight ... then it's been 'restored' ... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You are correct.

If it 'fell out' ... and I can't BELIEVE it just 'fell out' (but I believe you -- just sayin') ... then the retro-job @ DCM/CMP Arsenal was crap -- as it should have been 'staked' or hand-peened ... I'd shoot it past a qualified 'Smith to stake it properly.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Yes, original design ... and original to your carbine unless you can detect 'stake' marks on the dovetail cut for the rear sight ... then it's been 'restored' ... :)

Oh I know mine is all original, but I wasn't sure if it was a newer generation of original or older (example: an m16a2 as opposed to an m16a4). I know my Garands and M14s but the Carbine is an animal I am not knowledgeable about.

My father received it from a close family friend who carried it in his corsair during WW2. It followed him home and he passed it to my dad before he died. I don't actually own it but my dad says he will pass it on to me when I'm winged.

IMG_1476.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Oh I know mine is all original .....
Looks 'all correct' from your pix .... rear sight, stock, upper handguard, front barrel band, mag release, etc .... any cartouches, i.e. arsenal markings or inspector stamps?? What's the manufacturer and serial # just behind the rear sight ... at least all except for the last 3 or 4 #'s ... ??? What month/year/manufacturer markings are on the barrel just behind the front sight??

Carried in a Corsair??? That's unusual, to say the least. Interesting, though ... do you know who/what/when/where .. ??? If your Dad could sign an affidavit or something notarized as to the provenance of the carbine ... it would enhance any intrinsic $$$$$ value of it from a straight collector standpoint.

Not that you're going to 'sell' it ... as it looks like you've in line to inherit a VERY nice 'keeper'/collectible M1 Carbine ... but everything has its price ... and someday, you MIGHT want to sell it when you're down to your last dime and the question is:

"Should I sell the carbine or eat it ... "? :)

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I'll have to get that info tomorrow from my father. I know there is a picture of said pilot carrying this carbine in front of his corsair. If I can get my dad to scan it I'll post it. This one will be staying in the family as long as there are sons to pass it on to.

sickboy

pilot
Your carbine has the basic features of the early to mid war carbines. Flip sights, push button safety, and no bayonet lug. The bayonet lug didn't come around until after the War. The artist who created the Iwo Jima momument used a post war carbine as his guide which is why there's a bayonet lug on the statue.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
OK, here are the markings I can read.

INLAND DIV.
418XXX

On Barrel behind front sight it says

INLAND MFG. DIV
GENERAL MOTORS

On the right side of the stock just an inch from the inlet for the sling it has a seal with two rifles or cannons crisscrossed? I'm assuming that's the Springfield Armory seal, right? On the left side of the stock within the inlet for the sling it is kind of rubbed out but it appears "O-RMO"

On the front metal band that holds the stock to the gas cylinder? it has a "U" on it.

That is all I can make out without breaking the rifle down.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Check this out.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28254

Researching these this stuff a lot of fun if you have time. I know there are better places to search for information but the url above came up first and has some neat stuff on sn's and stock cartouches. CMP Forums and M1 Carbine sites are helpful and Scott Duff has a couple of books out that are very good as well.

Just like with Garands what seems to be the "correct" parts and stocks may not be and vice versa. Many of these weapons were made during some pretty dark times in our history when we were fighting for our lives. The manufacturers weren't paying much attention to anything other than producing as many working weapons as possible. If they screwed up a reciever they reassigned the same serial number to another forging and moved on. Whole blocks of serial numbers were lost etc. If it was in the parts bin it went on a weapon and if they ran out of a particular part they did what ever it took to keep production going. Depot level field maintenance sometimes consisted of just turning a big pile of broken rifles into a much smaller pile of serviceable weapons.

I always wanted a Winchester Garand. When I got one I was disapointed with the reciever. Compared to others I have it's rough as hell, with tool marks everywhere. Once I started doing some research I learned that many Winchesters and other early war weapons are like this. Not because Winchester was sloppy but because at the time it was made no one knew if there would even be an America in the next couple of years if they didn't push weapons out the door.

Very interesting stuff.

acwildcat

pilot
New Baby

Look what came home with me today. Springfield XDM 40 for $620 out the door. I will let you guys know how it shoots after I take her out tomorrow.

Bevo16

pilot
They copied a lot of features from the M&P, so you are going to like it. I never saw the point of that grip safety, but it's not like it is a problem either.

Nice gun.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
i've heard good things about the -m. how does it compare to the m&p? i feel like i've been way too responsible with my payraise since i put on JG, excluding my wetting down.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Do what I did: Get really wasted and then wake up the next morning with a gunbroker page open on your computer saying 'You won the auction 'Springfield M1A w/ Black Syn Stock''

"I bought a rifle? Sweet."

I make the best life decisions when I'm shitfaced. Usually.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Do what I did: Get really wasted and then wake up the next morning with a gunbroker page open on your computer saying 'You won the auction 'Springfield M1A w/ Black Syn Stock''

"I bought a rifle? Sweet."

I make the best life decisions when I'm shitfaced. Usually.

I once bought a set of golf clubs under similar circumstances.

Nice gun wildcat, did you get that in Tucson? Second Amendment Sports?

acwildcat

pilot
I once bought a set of golf clubs under similar circumstances.

Nice gun wildcat, did you get that in Tucson? Second Amendment Sports?

I bought $150 worth of individual serving Frosted Flakes and a 100 piece screwdriver set from amazon after an evening with Captain Morgan. I got the gun at Sportsman's Warehouse in New Mexico while visiting my family here. 2nd Amendment Sports is a great store though.