• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Guessing a S&W model 39. That was their first DA Semi wasn't it?
Correct all around ... now if I just could figure out how to do a VN/SEAL "Hush Puppy" -- (named for the Oh! so comfortable & "silent" & usually suede shoes of days of yore) ... then I'd REALLY have something !!!

Sights, barrel, suppressor, and sub-sonic ammo are O.K. and do-able ... but how does one "lock" the slide to reduce noise ... ??? And still make it function ... "properly" ???

More study is necessary ... :)

smith_and_wesson_mk22_mod0_02.jpg
5419-m.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Who said Hush Puppies are from yesteryear? I've got a pair--admittedly an updated style--sitting in my closet right now.

Range report tomorrow.

Flugelman

Contributor
Sights, barrel, suppressor, and sub-sonic ammo are O.K. and do-able ... but how does one "lock" the slide to reduce noise ... ??? And still make it function ... "properly" ???

Was always a favorite of mine also, altho never owened one. IIRC, the Navy issued them for a while in the late 60's- early 70's. I shot a Model 52 (very similar to the Model 39) built by Charlie Frazier for a while and won the Delaware State Indoor Championship with it back in the early 60's. Great shooter but you had to keep a stiff wrist or a barrel flip would cause a "Keyhole".

As far keeping the slide closed, with subsonic ammo, a triple strength spring might do the trick. Might make it difficult to rack the slide, tho...:confused:

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
anybody used the SW340 revolver? How they like hammerless?

One of my cop buddies carries that sometimes when he's off duty. I was looking at it recently and if you just throw it in your pocket, the hammerless model slides in and out very quickly. I have a SW637 and with certain types of pants I wear, the hammer very briefly snags on the top front seam as I try to pull it out. But that only happens if I pull it out as quick as I can. I suppose if you're trying to draw as fast as possible then holster carry is better. But thats only the difference I saw aside from the double action only. They also make a partial hammer version which is sort of the best of both. If you have a similar grip on them, they all shoot pretty much the same. SW makes some great guns

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
anybody used the SW340 revolver? How they like hammerless?
I like the hammerless design in .38 Special snubbies -- personally I don't go w/ .357 Mag in "shorties" or "snubbies" --there's a lotta' muzzle flash and more felt recoil than what's necessary (just opinion) to get the job done when carrying a snubbie ... a solid .38 Special round (158 gr. LSWCHP +P for example) has usually been my preference for concealed carry when carrying a revolver on my person.

Image85.jpg

I've always been kinda partial to the S&W Model 49, as it allows hammer "control" should that ever be required. Don't ask me why ... I just like it. I've had snubbies in Model(s) M&P 10, 15, 40, 49, 640, and 642 and I've liked them all to varying degrees.

Trophy wife carries one -- a M642 -- I upgraded it w/ a set of Crimson Trace grips -- she likes the "quickness" and "pointability" of the combo.

The Snubnose files: Crimson Trace Laser Grips for the snubnose

The Snubnose files: The Centennial

I'm kinda "picky" on which grips I use on a super-concealable "pocket" gun ... I like something that won't "hang" or "snag" ... which is probably why I steer clear of Uncle Mike's "boot grips" and similar "rubber" products. I liked the original Craig Speigel wooden boot grips, but since market has been flooded w/ copies the current version is just not the same (again, opinion).

Personally, I usually just go w/ the smooth or checkered original S&W factory wood grips w/ the possible addition of a Tyler T-Grip to "flesh out" the grip a little behind the trigger guard ... it just depends on the piece. For me -- I want to keep the piece as "concealable" as possible and there's less potential rubber-to-fabric "resistance" when it's coming out of concealment for presentation. I also "find" the grip and grip position easier when it's not rubber. It's just a personal quirk ... :)

Getting a Grip on J-Frames

I also am a softie for COLT's snubbies ... I especially like the addition of the hammer shroud and the extra round.

snubbies1.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Sorry for the delay, but I was distracted, what with all my guys coming back from Afghanistan and all.

The Nightguard shot like a dream. Consistent 2-3" groups while shooting both 3 yard hammer pairs and 10 yard slow fire. After the (very) noticeable report of me blasting away got their attention, I let a couple guys at the range send a few downrange through it, and they were all drooling. Everyone seemed to agree that the thing is more than reasonably accurate, and that while the recoil is significant, it's more than controllable by observing the fundamentals of a good shooting grip. Double action trigger pull on the pistol was very firm but completely smooth, and the light, crisp break with the hammer back is a thing to behold. My one frustration was the brand new moonclips that I had with me, which not only were a raving bitch to load, but also turned my thumbs into hamburger. I had blood all over my t-shirt from fighting the damned things, but 2-3 rotations through the pistol broke them in a bit. I just wish Dillon Precision had gotten me the loading tool I ordered in time.

The Taurus was impressive as well. I've always been--and always will be--a fan of the 1911, and to shoot one with so much bang for the buck is great. While it doesn't really even approach the Ed Brown Special Forces that my uncle let me have for a song, for the money, I think it's a serious contender, thanks to its impressive list of features. Isosceles, weaver, on handed (both strong and weak sides), point shooting from the hip, the thing always shot accurately and reliably. Hell, we even turned it sideways and if the range owner would have let us, would have tried to shoot it upside down. The only malfunction that occurred was when the fair lady didn't seat the magazine properly. This was all with the absolute shittiest--but still safe--ammunition that I could find.

Oh, and A4s: The hammerless design on the small airweight snubbies is the way to go. I have a 642 that is my 'PT gun'. No hammer has always equalled no snagging for me.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... My one frustration was the brand new moonclips that I had with me, which not only were a raving bitch to load, but also turned my thumbs into hamburger. I had blood all over my t-shirt from fighting the damned things, but 2-3 rotations through the pistol broke them in a bit. I just wish Dillon Precision had gotten me the loading tool I ordered in time....

I don't know what you got from Dillon, but I got these from Brownell's and I'm NEVER going back to 1/2 or full moon clips for my 1917's without these two tools. Check out their moon clips as well -- they've got 'em all ...

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

MOON CLIP STRIPPER
open_curve.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

352197100.jpg
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

S&W REVOLVER MOONSETTER
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

100001487.jpg
Brownell's.com

Redux

Correct all around ... now if I just could figure out how to do a VN/SEAL "Hush Puppy" -- (named for the Oh! so comfortable & "silent" & usually suede shoes of days of yore) ... then I'd REALLY have something !!!

I had a SW 39 without all the dressing, very NICE and I liked it but like everything else I own I get tired of it. I swapped it off for this and a box of 50 for $80.00. :eek: Question is, it's a 5 1/2 inch barrel, just how chickenshit would DNR be since state regs require a 6 inch barrel for deer?

iq8mlh.jpg

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hypothetical question:

sw39.jpg

I just got a S&W M39 & M39-2 ... both mint, LNIB, 2 mags each ... and therein lies the source of the "problem" ...

The M39's mag followers look like two small (vertical) pieces of metal joined together in kind of an hourglass or "V" shape running longitudinally down the top of the mag opening w/ a lot of "open" space at the top of the mag opening.

The M39-2's mag followers look more like a "traditional" follower, they are plastic, fill up most of the top of the mag opening, and they are somewhat of an "hourglass" shape ...

The M39's mags run/feed 100% in both pistols. Game over.

The M39-2's mags leave a round -- LOOSE -- at the top of the mag w/ one in the chamber !!! If I chamber a round off the top of the full magazine -- then drop the mag -- there's a LOOSE round that falls out the mag well and there's still that one in the chamber. These two mags do it on both pistols. I called S&W and the tech-rep said "that's not uncommon" on a Model 39 (like he knows -- they haven't been produced for @ 30 years) and he suggested that one could sand down the bottom of the bolt for any burrs "if the LOOSE round bothers you" ... :eek: He said the condition (he wouldn't call it a problem) should probably disappear w/ @ 100 rounds or so downrange and the pistol SHOULD feed & function normally .... again, the two pistols have been fired VERY little and are LNIB

Sooooooooooooo ... one feeds "normally" w/ the weird looking factory magazine followers ... the other leaves a round LOOSE at the top of the "normal" looking factory mag follower while putting one in the chamber. I'm a little reluctant to eat a slide in the face or shoot it that way in order to "put @ 100 rounds or so downrange" w/out more input.

I've never seen a condition like this ... "not uncommon" ... how about anyone else ???

Anyone ??? ANYONE ???

Again, just a hypothetical situation. :)

Bevo16

pilot
Totally common. Why would you ever doubt a company rep? He is the expert. Just put 100 rounds through it. What could go wrong?

I'll go ahead and get some of these on order for ya:

x-finger_48.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I have a couple of the de-mooning tools already, but I was waiting for something similar to what you bought from Brownell's. In fact, I think I like the one you've mentioned more than what I bought, so I'll order that one, too.

Redux

Hypothetical question:

I

I've never seen a condition like this ... "not uncommon" ... how about anyone else ???

Anyone ??? ANYONE ???

Again, just a hypothetical situation. :)

Mine that was a later build steel frame didn't do that. Worked as advertised with no loose round. :confused:

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...The M39-2's mags leave a round -- LOOSE -- at the top of the mag w/ one in the chamber [/U]!!! If I chamber a round off the top of the full magazine -- then drop the mag -- there's a LOOSE round that falls out the mag well and there's still that one in the chamber...

Never heard of it (not that that means $hit) but the engineer in me thought that was interesting. I looked around and on another forum a gentleman describes the same thing:

My ancient M39 almost always does that. Seems to have no effect on the gun's performance or reliability.

It could be mag lip issues, but it's been doing this since the 70's. Kind of disconcerting when it happens - none of my other semis do that - but I've verified it as harmless more than once.

What's happening in my case is that the lips are kind of short, and stripping the top round pulls the next one out a ways, which is often far enough to pop it clear.

The link to that quote is http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2291&p=28223 although there doesnt appear to really be any more info on that subject in the thread.

So it could be that the plastic is pushing the round up in a funny way that the all-metal version isnt. Are the tops of your two mags different? Not the follower but the top part of the magazine frame where the "lips" curl in...