• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My injury...questions

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I broke my ankle on the o-course 15Jul

It was a talar dome fracture (it was also fractured in another spot but the doctor (not the origional doc I saw at ocs) said it wasn't significant) and I'm doing research on this reading alot of stuff like 'long term impact,' 'permanent arthritis,' 'surgery,' 'bone death.'

Bad.

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this, and how ankle injuries cooperate with all the running that is necessary to get in shape and get through OCS (and probably more importantly, the reaction to high impact). How do the doctors at OCS look at ankle injuries? What if I have to have surgery? I'm already on a shoulder surgery waiver.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I had a talar dome fracture a few years ago and have had two subsequent surgeries to correct the problem. As long as there isn't a loose body and you follow doctors orders for recovery, you should be able to lead an active lifestyle and perhaps keep the surgery, permanent arthritis and bone death away. Those things don't have to happen.....do what the doc says and you can avoid those issues.

I had a loose body in my ankle which went undetected for a few years and I was up and at it the day the cast came off. Don't be stupid like that and you should be ok.

WRT to the impact on OCS, my best guess is that the docs will evaluate how well you can complete the run.