• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My dilema, NFO or engineering

Pugs

Back from the range
None
AMDO? Not sure what that has to do with actualy flying duties? But would think chances of selection of AMDO is slim to none. I speak with no authority, but would think NFO slots are limited, for a number of reasons, in particular since the Navy recently cut the ACCP bonus for NFO's by some 40%..

AEDO not AMDO Chief. http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Aviation/AEDO/ The one's I worked/flew with were at NADEP in Alameda and it was a pretty good program it appeared to me.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
AEDO not AMDO Chief ...

Well, I do know the difference between AMDO and AEDO. In fact know quite a bit more about AEDO than I do about AMDO. However, what was posted ....

So i just sent off my application to the navy (NFO, AMDO, NUKE in that order). ...

I also agree with you that AEDO is a fine choice for a career field; I also think AMDO is great choice for a career field.

Rule 1: And my point. You gotta be precise in what you ask for, just because you might get what you ask for.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
My understanding was AEDO was not something you could come off the street and do. It was a career option for those with experience, and possibly LDOs? Whereas ADMO was it's own career path and you could technically come off the street and do it (although the few at OCS were usually priors I heard, go figure).

Pugs

Back from the range
None
My understanding was AEDO was not something you could come off the street and do. .

Ergo my post about a fleet tour then redesignation to AEDO

Chief,
Sorry, thought you had responded to my post hence the confusion.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I mean not to offend anyone. Generalization: Back in my day the 1510 was usually a former 1310 with a "technical degree" with one too many fourth wire traps. The AMDO was the geezer former CPO LDO that had worked on and knew every airframe in the inventory, hence the O-1 AMDO. In my day a "prior" in OCS was indeed a rare bird. I knew of perhaps 5 or 6 my entire career. So, as things changed, they pretty much stayed the same.

Kaminoshi

Thanks for the posts,

I checked into the AEDO program, and from what I understand you are required to have:

1) masters degree in engineering or a 4year in engineering and a masters in business (i think)
2). Aviation ware-fare qualified (SNA/NFO only?)
3). O3 and no more than 3 years as a captain
4). 4 years of sea duty.

This could just be for lateral transfer but I saw in some PDF document about all these programs, the 1510 designation is for previous pilots and NFOs. Not something you can apply for before going to OCS. Assuming this is the case then this seems pretty perfect. I could get to be an NFO, and then have the navy pay for me to get my masters and transfer into that designation and work as an engineer down the line. Get the engineering experience and the masters degree to set up a potential civilian career if I want to settle down more (itll be maybe 6-10 years down the road probably).

If anyone knows about this, if I can find the PDF that explained this I will post it.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I have a friend who's an AEDO. He did his sea tour as an NFO, then did shore duty where he applied and got picked up for AEDO. He was then sent to AFIT in Dayton, OH to get his masters, and he owes three years after he gets his degree as an AEDO. He'll be at 14 years when he's done paying back his AFIT time, which means something is really going to have to piss him off for him to get out at that point.

Kaminoshi

(whats AFIT),

Also is 3 year the commitment for them sending you off to get a masters? I mean ... at 14 years he is almost at the magical 20 year mark. That retirement plan is pretty tempting

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
(whats AFIT),

Also is 3 year the commitment for them sending you off to get a masters? I mean ... at 14 years he is almost at the magical 20 year mark. That retirement plan is pretty tempting

AFIT = Air Force Institute of Technology, it's the Air Force's postgraduate school, Navy has Naval Post Graduate School (NPS) in Monterey, CA

Yes, the payback is for giving him orders to get his Master's at AFIT.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
As HeyJoe has stated in the past... have you thought about "Having Your Cake and Eating it Too?" (Go NFO and apply subsequently U.S. Naval Test Pilot School) You only have a certain time window for Naval Aviation, don't want to regret not having done it. I know plenty of guys who lateraled into EDO (or AEDO?) after being aviators. I only know of two guys who lateraled into aviator from Nuke... and seemed like they almost made history or something by doing so.

I'd also imagine having wings upon thars could only help you credibility as an AEDO... (you know... the idea of an auto engineer who's driven a car before vs. an auto engineer who's never driven a car ever)

red_ryder

None
You know, I was a materials engineering major out of college, and I had a really hard time deciding as well. My current attitude is, I guess I count myself lucky that there wasn't whole lot of development in the biomaterials industry, or else I'd probably have a job somewhere else instead of here!

When I first graduated, was looking for jobs, I was only focused on jobs related to my major. I didn't think that anything else would be rewarding as a career. Then my buddy, who just got back from OCS (Sub Nuke!) asked me, and I'll never forget: "Maybe not related to your major, but is there anything else you'd like to do instead? Maybe flying?" And that's what got me. After that, I did a lot of looking for reasons not to, but the more I looked the less I could find.

And now one of the things I count myself grateful for is not working in an insipid office job somewhere, even if it's something relatively interesting like biomaterials. I just winged, and applying to this was one of the best decisions I ever made. Ever made.

So take that for what it's worth, I don't really know what your passions are, but there's my .03c biased opinion.

-RR

Oh yeah and a lot of NFO's get out and go work at Boeing or Lockheed anyway, so there you go.