• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MY chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkLA

Current Stats

21 yrs old
20/20 uncorrected vision

Bachelors of Science - Aviation and human factors - University of Illinois

2.875 - GPA (2.95 with transfer credits)

PFT - run not done - pullups = 14, situps - MAX

ASTB - not taken

SAT - 1150

LOR: 1. Head professor of university Human factors/aviation dept
2. Retired Naval officer and former co-worker
3. Previous flight instructor(s) - retired army helo pilot
4. Former boss @ large Los Angeles law firm

Current Job - Assistant supervisor - US dept of homeland security (FEMA) - disaster claims intake center - can most likely get a recommendation from both my supervisor and his boss as well (head southern california FEMA boss).

Flight status:
275 hours of total flight time
Currently hold - private, commerical, instrument, multi-engine ratings, CFI and CFII ratings, currently working on Multi engine instructor ratings. Also proficient in crew resource management training.

Thats about it - also held some leadership positions in my fraternity as well as the universities greek fraternity council including a greek police officer.

Was going to apply in August for OCS 187 but decided to wait until I have saved some money and payed off federal school loans which are not payed for even if accepted (is this true or is this only my OSO's word).

Thank you for your help in advance.

gkLA

concerns

i'm mostly concerned with my GPA.

I';m not too worried about the ASTB cause I will study balls for it but my GPA is not that competitive.

my SAT scores are high enough that i don't have to take the ASVAB.

Shadow9660

Also, if your applying soon, you will want to take the ASTB soon, because it's an Aptitude test, and studying for it (Via Arco book etc.) is good and all, but tests like ASTB and SAT tend to surprise people who are used to studying their ass off... also get out there and run...if you dont have a guage where your 3 mile run is...get running...only way you'll improve it.... your tech experience and LOR's look good ...i agree with perchul2...PFT is important...gpa is too late to change anyway so no use stressin' over it

gkLA

keep it comin

you guys are giving me lots of info.

thanks for all your advice.

more would be appreciated

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Don't worry about your GPA at all. Mine was lower than that. Get max pullups and crunches and a run time under 21:30 and you'll be golden.

makoslim

Air candidate 188
gkLA said:
i'm mostly concerned with my GPA.

I';m not too worried about the ASTB cause I will study balls for it but my GPA is not that competitive.

my SAT scores are high enough that i don't have to take the ASVAB.

What do you think this is? The air force academy? The Marine Corp understands that sitting in a University classroom taking some tests with a high score is not going to make you any better at leading men in war. As long as you can show basic common sense and problem solving skills, you are good to go.

Like the others were saying, get that PFT up. right now it looks like that will make or break you. Not to be harsh, but your current score will break you. if you don't have a track to run on, run for time. Start with a half hour, and work up to arround 1.5 hours when you run. this will get your endurance up so when you have to run your PFT, you can run it hard without your energy pooping out on you. Pull ups! pull ups! pull ups! Get these up, do them whenever you get the chance (use a door frame, stair railing, etc...) this is the money section of the PFT, 5 points each! Once you get that PFT up Im sure you will be set!

Crowbar

None
Not to be a downer here, but asking an internet forum what your chances of selection are is about as inaccurate as you can get. Not knocking anybody else, but I doubt any of you are sitting on the selection board that gkLA is applying for. And that, in all honesty, is the only way to know what kind of competition he is facing, how many other (un)qualified applicants are out there, what their stats are, what the precept of the board is (if you don't know what a precept of a board is you certainly don't need to be making predictions), and who will/won't get selected on any given board.
These selection boards are made of up officers who have access to more information than every member of this site put together. Trying to convince somebody that they are "good to go" or "golden" could potentially be giving them false hope.

gk-the only way to know what your chances are would be to apply. If you don't get selected, apply again. Don't stop applying until you get in. From the time I submitted my application for an NROTC scholarship until the time I was selected for MECEP, eight years had elapsed. If you do get in on your first try, you must be better than I am, and congratulations. Regardless, don't let anybody deter you from what you want.

Good luck!

trongod46

pilot
i totally agree with you crowbar, i get so tired of reading what the so experienced forum applicants pretend to know, it just cracks me up half the time the more crappy info out there the better for me, and of course i hate to keep using the prior card but i have to alot in the chat rooms,

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Gentleman, you have to understand that most people on these forum site know to tak all information with a grain of salt. Nothingon here is deffinate or even from credible sources (for the most part) that is why these sites are not endorsed by the Navy or Marine Corp. When someone asks a question like the one on this site, they are generally looking more at how they compare to the other applicants postin on here.

Also when I said thta you are good to go, it did not mention a specific person or trait that will allow this. you should have been able to read the hint of sarcasm in my statement as it was meant ot be encouraging for an applicant with a GPA that they werent sure about. I know several people who have been accepted with GPAs much lower than his that never would have been accepted into the officer programs of other branches just because they didn't have an exceptional GPA. i try to help people out as much as I can with information I have attained in my own experience of applying to 187 and teh feedback I get from my OSO/OSA/current Marine Officers/and other members on this site. In a lot of my posts when i am not sure about something, or I am relaying it from another post, I tell people this so they can judge the credibility on thier own as do many other posters on this site and other like it.

Stop reading so much into peoples posts. If someone is on here relying on teh info 100% with out sorting out the scuttlebut, they are destined to fail. Personally, i am trying ot encourage others, and don't see a problem in giving them tips on ohw to improve a PFT. So basicly what I am saying is sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

A note to the original poster on this thread. You have a lot of positive characteristics that will be considered by the board when you apply. but as we said, you need a whole package, bring up that PFT!

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I understand your point, Crowbar, but those of us who have been can give some insight as to what it takes to be accepted because of the fact that we've already been accepted. Our stats can provide them with a template for what they may need to shoot for. I told him his GPA was fine because mine was lower than his both times I applied and I was accepted and attended OCS both times (got dropped medically the first time around). Granted, we don't sit on the selection board, but we can still help out.

Oh, and makoslim, I hate to be nitpicky, but I notice this a lot in your posts. It's Marine Corps with an "s" not Corp. :icon_wink:

makoslim

Air candidate 188
thanks PSno, that is a key I miss a lot when I am typing, and the spell check dosn't catch it. You'll notice a lot of my typing mistakes that are common such as teh for "the" (when I don't spell check) and my capitals end up not capitalizing (release shift before hitting letter) but the feedback is appreciated, I will look back over my posts for that one in the future!

By the way, I hope I doidn't sound preachy to anyone in that last posst, I just read over it, and it is kind of long winded, esentially I was just saying this: most people here are trying to get an idea of what their competition is like/ meet people before OCS, and get/give encouragement. Being that it is a public forum, no info shlould be accepted as fact, just people trying to help out. After all, even on the board (that changes) nothing is set in stone. So there you have it, my three paragraph post summed up in 3 sentances! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.