• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My chances at Subs

• Thread starter Deleted member 6665
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6665

Ok- I just finished my freshman year in college. Electrical Engineering Major, 3.5 GPA. I go to Texas A&M University, and am a member of the Corps of Cadets. I want to be a Submarine Officer.

My percentile ranks on the Air Force Officer's qualifying test were:

Pilot /Navigator/ Academic Aptitude/ Verbal/ Quantitative
86 92 98 99 95

I don't remember my PFT score, but I can do 72 pushups/2 min, 83 situps/2min, and the 1.5 mile in 9:20.

I'm 6'3" and 176 lbs, if that matters.

My questions:

How competitive would I be for NUPOC?

I tested out of my first year of calculus and physics with AP exams. Is this ok?

I want to be able to go to grad school to get a Master's before I commission- ROTC won't let me do this. Can I do this under NUPOC? If not, could I go to OCS and be guaranteed a spot in Nuke School / Submarines?

Also, do most people who get to Nuke school get into Subs if they want them?

Thanks in advance

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
First of all, you choose sub/surface before you go to OCS, and most people want surface, so if you want subs, you'll probably get it. NUPOC won't let you get your masters before commissioning, but it has other attractive options. When you're done with your initial tour, you can do shore duty which could be either recruiting or ROTC instructor, and you can usually get your masters on these tours. (ROTC instructor is money, because you'll get 75% to 100% tuition assitance from the school you're an instructor at, depending on policy.)

cindy

Apply and go to the Naval Academy. Select subs, finish in the top 25, OOM of all Midshipmen, the Navy allows 25 a year to immediately proceed to a Master program of choice, max 2 years of study. The go to to Nuclear power school, thence to sub-school. BUT SUB DO NOT ACCEPT FEMALES, YET.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
fightinfalcon said:
I tested out of my first year of calculus and physics with AP exams. Is this ok?

If not, could I go to OCS and be guaranteed a spot in Nuke School / Submarines?

As long as it shows up on your transcript, you're good to go. Also, like I mentioned before, you select either sub or surface nuke before you go to OCS, so you will know what platform you're going for. It sounds like your grades are good, you can max out the NUPOC program at 36 months and collect the E-6 pay and allowances.

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
falcon, I would say that you have an excellent chance of going subs. Make sure that you have your physics and calc down cold when you go for your interview. Your stats seem really outstanding. Good luck.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
fightinfalcon said:
I'm 6'3" and 176 lbs, if that matters.
There isn't an "anthro" disqualification for subs, like for flying in different aircraft, where size can affect how you will fit in the plane. But, speaking as a former submariner ("bubblehead"), you are going to knock yourself silly on the overheads until you get used to where everything is at. Get used to ducking.

I think you have an excellent package, spend time on the practice packet that they will give you, so you will be prepared for the interview.

I enjoyed all the time I spent on board subs, good food, great people and challenging underways. Good luck.

cindy said:
BUT SUB DO NOT ACCEPT FEMALES, YET.
Way to think positive, but unless I am mistaken, I have not heard anything about females serving onboard submarines in a LONG time. It all boils down to the close proximity and interaction that is different onboard subs than on ships and planes. How do you handle passing lets say a Navy female LTJG in the midships passageway if you are a male E3? Mind you, if I were stand straight ahead in the passageway, my shoulders would almost touch each side. The E3 is going to "brush up" against the LTJG in a manner that can be misconstrued in a lot of ways (maybe he DID take advantage of it....). Now at least he is respecting authority, but what if he was passing a fellow sailor, a female E3? Hmmm....

I think for the most part, the vast majority of the sailors on board submarines are quite professional. You get that with an all volunteer force that is the top percentile of the Navy enlistments and Officer accessions (sp?). But there are bound to be the bad apples that can cause some discontent. Luckily the fan room isn't as accessible onboard the sub, but I digress....

cindy

Webmaster, ''' ... but unless I am mistaken, I have not heard anything about females serving onboard submarines in a LONG time ...""? Well you must be talking to wrong folks!! j/k...

The last we heard was there was talk of "maybe boomers, cause they are larger" but agree nothing serious is on the table since the Clinton years. Also quickly agree there would be problems,big problems I think. The old saw about "space shuttle is much smaller yet .... ...." is cute but is a different apple than the issues aboard a sub.

What I have heard is some rumblings from the intel "read crypto" types that feel their options are "limited .... ".

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am going back to the submarine community, so I am sure I will get back up to speed with their current issues. Back in '91-'96 they were talking about doing the same thing with the boomers. I was on a fast attack, and wasn't quite sure how it would all turn out if they did do that. I know one thing. You have to do it from the top down. First come the female officers and CPOs. Let them get acclimated, then the enlisted. They have to have somewhere to go to, and the rank, still provides a better footing than being an E1.

Then again, why don't you just make an entire boat crew female? eh?

D

Deleted member 6665

Thanks for all your responses. I'm male, I should have mentioned that in my original post.

I don't want to transfer to the Naval Academy, but I do want to go to grad school before the Navy. How difficult is it to get Sub/Nuke from OCS?

Again, I appreciate ya'lls help

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Falcon,

They always need sub nukes through OCS. With your credentials, you shouldn't have any problem screening for the interview. Once you get the interview, it's yours to lose. Talk to a recruiter during your sophomore year. Also, I would consider going to grad school as a commissioned officer on your shore duty. Old Dominion university counts Nuclear Power School as 40% (12 of 30 credits) towards ANY Master's in Engineering. Just some food for thought. In my OCS class, we had a guy who was 29 with a PhD in Nuclear Engineering going Subs, and well, he was going to be an Ensign just like the 22 year old guy with a BS in Systems Engineering.

If you're hell bent on going to grad school first though, you can always talk to a recruiter while you're in grad school.

cindy

Falcon, et al; Sorry for confusion i somehow always cause. Did not mean to imply, my cheeky coment was about me, not you. The point i wanted to make was that the only way that i know you can get your Master immediately after commissioning, full time program, is from USNA. While i bet there are other ways, i just do not know them. i agree, you sound like an outstanding candidate for Subs, go for it. And i envy you for being able to do it.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Fight: don't get so hung up on masters before. as a nuke you will get pleanty of specialized training. it has also been my experience interacting with jo's that they don't know what masters program they should have done. if you are using the Navy to get an education then major in whatever but if you want to be a sob officer go nupoc, finish a tour then get a masters that helps your career or fuels your interests.

Cindy: as far as women go on subs it's a matter of facilities. even on a boomer there are only some many places to put hings and they all have something there. i got a chance to talk to a lot of middle brasss when i was in newport and they all said the same thing. "it's not that we think that they can't do it, it's just that we can't cram anything else into 'em". it's just a matter of dollars and cents.

JoshuaR

Being a NROTC graduate from UCLA, let me tell you that it is POSSIBLE to get a MASTERS/GRADUATE degree after going through the program...and also have the Navy pay for it.

Two recent grads went to NPS (Navy Post Graduate School in Monterey). A fellow middy in my year group stayed at UCLA and is in a Masters in Engineering. We've also had a couple of other guys do this in the past as well.

Here's a link to your different options: http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers440/pers440b/pers440b.htm (You can check out all the different programs but I think the ones that are relevant are the NPGS, Olmstead, and Burke)

Personally, I would try and get into the NUPOC program and just wait on your masters til your first shore tour. This way you'll maximize your $$ options. I would have done that but I'm a sociology major and the only way I'd get into the sub community was through NROTC.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.