• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My chances at Marine OCS?

lusos

A man's gotta eat
Hi all, first of all I would like to thank the admins for such a great forum. I have been browsing through threads for the past few days and recently decided that it be wise to create an account. However, I do have a question about how competitive I look on paper for a prospective pilot applying for Marine OCS and I figure this is the best place to ask.

With that being said, I am a senior Mechanical Engineering student with a 3.45 GPA and a scholarship from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I transferred in from a local community college and in the last year everything is seeming to fit into place quite nicely. I hope to graduate in a few semesters and start my M.S. in Systems Engineering immediately thereafter.

My work history is varied, I work as a student assistant for a particular research institute on an local Air Force Base. I have worked jobs mowing grass, lifeguarding, wood shop fabrication, and have been manager at a local water park for 3 years. I also fabricate performance car parts on the side (TIG, MiG, CNC, etc.)

As for extracurricular I am a member of FormulaSAE, 4H modified-trap team, and served as a volunteer firefighter and EMT since I turned age 18. I also run 4-6 miles per day.

However, I do have bad vision, though I anticipate getting PRK before shipping off, so I do not anticipate any problem with a waiver.

What do I need to do to look competitive on a resume? Thanks!

For Marine OCS, just talking to the many officers I know, you need to run above a 280 PFT and above 290 CFT. Your run time should be below 23:00 3 mile at a min. If you’re applying for pilot you will need excellent ASTB scores since that is one of our only guaranteed jobs. Keep in mind the pilot field is getting smaller with the phase out of the F18, Ch46, and the AV8. Stellar recommendations are a must.

Silhouette

Did you and Shami get together and plan to start two threads within hours of each other asking the same question that nobody on this forum likes to hear or answer? Spend more time searching and less time "browsing" the forums and you can probably get a good feel for your "chances." If you just want someone's opinion about your stats, there are threads for that. The Gunnery Sergeant was kind, but I think it's going downhill from here.

KBayDog

Did you and Shami get together and plan to start two threads within hours of each other asking the same question that nobody on this forum likes to hear or answer? Spend more time searching and less time "browsing" the forums and you can probably get a good feel for your "chances." If you just want someone's opinion about your stats, there are threads for that. The Gunnery Sergeant was kind, but I think it's going downhill from here.

Lighten up, Francis.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Why not a "How to find out my chances" sticky thread with guidance that would include calling an Officer Recruiter?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
For Marine OCS, just talking to the many officers I know, you need to run above a 280 PFT and above 290 CFT. Your run time should be below 23:00 3 mile at a min. If you’re applying for pilot you will need excellent ASTB scores since that is one of our only guaranteed jobs. Keep in mind the pilot field is getting smaller with the phase out of the F18, Ch46, and the AV8. Stellar recommendations are a must.

It's not like the Hornet, Phrog or Harrier isn't being replaced......

robav8r

None
Contributor
Keep in mind the pilot field is getting smaller with the phase out of the F18, Ch46, and the AV8. Stellar recommendations are a must.

The Marines are phasing out Hornets? When? Had not heard that . . . . How much longer will Phrogs be flying with the MEU/ACE ?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The Marines are phasing out Hornets? When? Had not heard that . . . .
Sorta... F-35... The first squadron the transition is a west coast delta squadron. Though from what I've heard they'll be standing up at Yuma. This is all Krock heresay though.

F-35 are most likley going to be at Cherry Point first since it is the main training base, but like you said heresay. All those airframes are being replaced but by far less numbers and no NFO's on the F35.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
F-35 are most likley going to be at Cherry Point first since it is the main training base, but like you said heresay. All those airframes are being replaced but by far less numbers and no NFO's on the F35.

LOL...wut?

They are going to Yuma. As Swanee said, it's a Delta squadron from Miramar being cut and moved over there.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

You don't know what you're talking about- so stop before you embarrass yourself even more.