• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mustang

STA21pilot

Anyone else felt resistance from the term "Mustang"?

I've met some O's that don't like it, obviously not priors. What's the impression from the fleet?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In practice, the only people who are referred to as Mustangs are CWOs and LDOs.

Brett

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
On the green side it has been all prior enlisted guys. I've never heard resistance to the term. Both the Marine Corps and the Navy have a "Mustang Association." Of course they're not officially affiliated with the services, but you get the picture. General Gray (29th? Commandant) is a member of the MCMA, which lends it some cred. He was commandant before I came in, but I have a very deep respect for him among modern day commandants. He also gives me hope to making it higher than Major before I wear my body or my welcome out.

EDIT: Here's some links:

MCMA
NMA

As you can see, they don't use the term Mustang apologetically.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
In practice, the only people who are referred to as Mustangs are CWOs and LDOs.

Brett's right on this one. NMS recognizes any officer who is commissioned without a break in service and at least one good conduct medal as a Mustang.
You're LDO/CWO mess will likely think differently. It was bizarre to me that the LDO/CWO mess shunned URL's who met the criteria above, but it was their loss.
Our "Bull" was a LDO and roundly criticized by his own Mustang mess for participating in wardroom shenanigans. When he turned out to be the best Bull in anybody's memory, they changed their tune. Not because it was the right thing, but because it was convenient for them to claim him as their own.
I'm sure your experience will be better, but our LDO's/CWO's had their own mess within the wardroom.
bt, end rant.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Anyone else felt resistance from the term "Mustang"? I've met some O's that don't like it, obviously not priors. What's the impression from the fleet?

One word, Tradition. A quality that fades fast. When I was active duty, the non-mustang officers called a Mustang "One of those fellows that do not wash their hands after going to the head".

Mustang meant one thing - someone that came up through the ranks to become an LDO or WO (or CWO), not a snotty nosed Seaman deuce with a college degree that went off to OCS or w/o a degree and went off to USNA.

Now let me add, that in those days, there were very few of what is now referred to as "priors". New term, new Tradition. STA 21 et al did not exist. I quickly add the Navy is far better off with those programs and opportunities.

That Tradition seems to have changed and anyone that was former enlisted services calls themselves a "Mustang".

So I guess it means anything one wants it to mean and one calls one's self what ever pleases. Certainly above my paygrade to be offended one way or the other.

However, I would have loved to seen how Bo'sn Kraft (CWO-4) would have responded to some 22 yo ensign calling himself a "Mustang". Probably would have thrown the perp over the side - oh that is an old Navy term to mean "heaving somone over the railing into the water".;)

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
lol yeah, I would never call myself a Mustang just because well I am not an LDO or CWO. I agree with the Chief.