• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Must sees" between Quantico and NASP

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Or you could make a stop at some college campuses to partake in the scenery...UVA, VT, JMU, UNC, Duke, NC State, Clemson, UGA, UF, FSU are all within striking distance.

No love for the alma mater?

I'd personally do the Charleston/Savannah route just for the riverfront life and the golf since my quest for plentiful southeastern forktail is over.

I ended up doing a full dity with not a lot of time so we did 95/85/65 through Durham, Charlotte, Atl and Montgomery. Although I claim Atl as a second home, I hate that route, but it's the fastest.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
If you're traveling on a Saturday, make time to hit one of the following (in alphabetical order):

Athens, GA
Auburn, AL
Columbia, SC
Nashville, TN
Tuscaloosa, AL

There are other places but they're a little out of the way.

Also, you can get a Three Wolf/Moon T-shirt (see Crowbar's avatar) at any refueling stop, while traveling through Lower Alabama. I hear they are plentiful in those parts.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If you're traveling on a Saturday, make time to hit one of the following (in alphabetical order):

Athens, GA
Auburn, AL
Columbia, SC
Nashville, TN
Tuscaloosa, AL

There are other places but they're a little out of the way.

You could add Knoxville, Clemson, and Raleigh to that list since your describing average sized SEC/ACC towns.

Nice avatar by the way. Is that oil on velvet or is it embroidered on your flight jacket?

Pags

N/A
pilot
No love for the alma mater?

I'd never recommend a stop at the North Avenue Trade School for someone interested in co-eds...UGA is much better for that. Unless they'd be in town for a game...

Now, off campus ATL? Hell yeah. Especially as a 2LT flush with cash from a recent escape from the Federal Pen at Quantico.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Or, for the ultimate in nerdiness, you could go to Juliette, GA and eat Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. :D

Like I said the Civil War tour would be pretty nerdy, but it never hurts to tread some hallowed ground once in awhile (even if it is just to dry out for another evening).

There are also some decent national parks...like the smokies...and some stretches of the AT if the OP hasn't had enough of living in the woods.

jtmedli

pilot
You could add Knoxville, Clemson, and Raleigh to that list since your describing average sized SEC/ACC towns.

Nice avatar by the way. Is that oil on velvet or is it embroidered on your flight jacket?

Heck yeah...come on down to Clemson. We'll show you around. Around midnight on a Friday this place turns into a block party with hot chicks galore.

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
Skip Myrtle... (unless you really want to go to Mediaval Times and get some airbrushed t-shirts)

Ha, totally agree...Myrtle beach is a tourist suckhole. However, it may a little out of the way, but Athens GA is one hell of a party town. Lots of fun to be had there.:icon_zbee

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ha, totally agree...Myrtle beach is a tourist suckhole. However, it may a little out of the way, but Athens GA is one hell of a party town. Lots of fun to be had there.:icon_zbee

Yeah, between Quantico and Pcola there are a million better choices of towns to party in over Myrtle Beach. I've been there once and don't really feel the need to ever go back.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I lived in Wilmington for a while and would take it over Myrtle Beach without question.

That's just my personal preference. Some people love the place. I've been to Myrtle Beach several times, including a det during advanced, and while it was fun, it was never on my I HAVE TO GO BACK TO THIS PLACE list.

When I was there, I was out at a decent restaurant and watched a woman detain her misbehaving child by grabbing his rat tail. While hilarious, it kind of sealed the deal for me.

KW83

Concur with what most others have said, skip Myrtle and go to Charleston and Savannah (unless you really want to go to Mediaval Times and get some airbrushed t-shirts). Also en route is ATL. You can spend a few quality days in Hotlanta (avoid Buckhead, stick to Virginia Highlands, Midtown, etc).

Or you could make a stop at some college campuses to partake in the scenery...UVA, VT, JMU, UNC, Duke, NC State, Clemson, UGA, UF, FSU are all within striking distance.

Or, if you're into something nerdier, you could do the Civil War thing...Manassas, Fredricksburg, Antietam, Petersburg, Shenandoah Valley, etc.

May I add the Stonewall Shrine?