• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MUST SEE FILM: Operation Red Flag

Yankee Uniform Tango
I think 'Fighter Pilot' is enjoyable if you take it with a grain of salt. While full of fake-drama, cheesy "plot", somewhat unrealistic dogfighting, and suspiciously advanced CGI used during briefs/debriefs, it's a decent popcorn muncher with some excellent aerial shots. I saw it at a Dome IMAX (the one with the HUGE screens that wrap around you), and it was quite the experience...got dizzy a few times.

The one thing I found interesting is that the main character didn't follow in his grandfather's footsteps as a Marine. I wonder why he went with the AF (more opportunities for aerial engagements maybe)?

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I too saw it, at the IMAX in Pensacola. It's pretty funny when they show clips from inside the cockpit showing the pilots hands moving the controls and you can see the "OFF" flags in the instruments.

I was not impressed.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Neat footage. Terribly inaccurate presentation of all aspects of Red Flag exercise and military aviation in general.

I was embarassed for the pilot they suckered into "starring" in it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember seeing that a LONG time ago. As I recall, the "dangerous" pilot in it had just developed a "new" manuever. I think it was the split-S, which was of course the greatest ACM innovation of the late 1970s.
As Max Immelmann rolls over in his grave . . . :icon_tong

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I rented this through Netflix when I was in an aviation movie frenzy (got all the Nova films as well), and I didn't think it was that bad. I'm a wannabe and I don't get to see jets very often, so movies are all i've got for now! Sure some parts were cheesy, but it had some good action.

It made me wonder though, does the Navy do anything similar to this?

brownshoe

Contributor
No shit ??? And here we only did it on the weekends ... :)

Wow… Thanks! I’ve always wondered why I only worked on a Saturday or a Sunday while in the Navy. Oh sure “Blackshoes” got to work Monday through Friday. (9 to 5.) But nooo not us “Airdales”, every damned weekend. After all these years a “light” from above.

Thanks A4’s. :);)

Steve

B

Blutonski816

I'll agree with most guys here, good footage, shitty execution...

and due to the fact that this movie is 4 years old, I have to ask Dude, where the hell have you been??

HuggyU2

None
... hundreds of pilots meet for the most challenging flying of their careers.
Sheeeeett!! And all this time, I thought the guys that went "downtown" had done the most challenging flying around!

"Blender" Novotny was an F-15 mission commander during the war 5 years ago. Very tactically oriented. He thought the U-2 was the perfect "bait" to get the Iraqis to do something stupid enough that he'd be able to get an air-to-air kill. We enjoyed it, though. Fun stuff. He had over 100 OSW missions into "The Box", and pickled his tanks at least once while hauling ass northbound trying to get a kill. I sure wish he'd gotten his kill. Wonder what he's doing now.

I'll agree with most guys here, good footage, shitty execution...

and due to the fact that this movie is 4 years old, I have to ask Dude, where the hell have you been??

haha good call, i dunno, i just stumbled across it now, and i didnt see anything about on AW so i thought i´d post it.

agreed, good footage, shitty plot. i was more posting it because as a wannabe its cool just to see footage of jets, thats all!