• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving Etiquette

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
So, the movers are busily deciding what of my stuff they want to break right in front of me and what they want to break after they get it out of my house.

This is PCS #3 and I've always wondered: does anyone tip the movers and packers?

If so, how much??

I tipped once because they helmed me with some crap that really was above and beyond, but last time, the movers sort of stood around for 5 minutes awkwardly before I figured out they were expecting a tip.

Generally, I think it's their job and they are already extorting enough $$$ from Uncle Sam to do it that I shouldn't need to tip. Nobody ever tips me, after all.

But I wonder: is it like being a waitress or a bagger at the NEX where tips make up a significant chunk of income and not getting one will be a massive incentive to break all my shit?

Then again, Uncle pays for full replacement insurance now, anyway . . .

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If they go above and beyond and are courteous, I always gave them a tip. If they were a-holes and threw my stuff around, they got nothing.

I did always offer them something to drink early and if they showed up around a meal time, bought a pizza. It was a preemptive move that normally made them easier on my belongings.

STLEngineer

pilot
I did always offer them something to drink early and if they showed up around a meal time, bought a pizza. It was a preemptive move that normally made them easier on my belongings.

I definitely have gone that route each time and it seemed to work well.

A good friend of mine used to drive for a moving company and he told me that movers want to get tipped, so he said to hint that there might be a tip early and then decide if you really want to give one at the end.

arbor

I'm your huckleberry.
pilot
I tip when they get there. If it's 2-3 guys, 10 bucks each. Might seem high, I'll pay that for whatever incentive it might give them to take a little more care, regardless of the effect it actually has.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prop, I agree with you that it seems that they EXPECT chow or a tip. We usually buy some chow and have drinks available for them, but I have never tipped them.

-ea6bflyr ;)

PURower

pilot
I have never tipped but have gotten them food before. Last time there were 3 movers who showed up to unpack my belongings and I ran out to Dunkin Donuts and grabbed some donuts and coffee for them.....It took about 5 minutes for the lone English speaking mover to explain to the two 16 year old looking Russian kids that the drink I had brought them was coffee and it was in fact hot. This all culminated in one of the Russians spilling hot coffee on my kitchen island and soaking all my mail and paperwork.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I tell them I'll "hook them up" after they are done. For the awesome crew out of Enid (Emricks) I spread $50 between the 4 of them and another $10 for the driver who I would be meeting down in Corpus...best service ever. For the douchebags in Corpus who took a break every 15 minutes to eat another fucking burrito, (I think that was the PC way of saying lazy Mexicans) and broke some of my shit, their "hook-up" was a couple of leftover bottles of water from the fridge.

I learned the hard way when I tipped up front in Pensacola and had to file a claim for $1800 that they get the money AFTER...

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I have only moved househould goods 5 times so take this with a grain of salt:)

After experiences similar to what are described above here is my MO on the last 2 moves. I have found a straight forward approach is appreciated by the movers. It also establishes that this isn't your first rodeo and you have a clue. It is basically the lunch and soda gambit with a twist. I usually say something like this...

Hey fellas my name is Boyd (intros all around w/ handshake). Thank you for showing up and helping me move my family. I used to pack for Allied in the late 80's as a summer job so I appreciate what you are getting ready to do and I understand how difficult it can be. There is a cooler in the garage with bottled water and sodas. Help yourself but all drinks stay outside the house. When you take lunch, here is 10 bucks per guy (let them see you give it to el jefe). (turning to the head dude) Keep me apprised of your schedule and let me know when you come and go. We have errands to run and we will run them while you are gone. If your crew changes I expect an introduction so I don't shoot the strange new guy in my house (laughing of course). If you need anything I am available for even a simple question. I would rather you ask then break my shit (again laughing). Thanks!! OBTW, altough we don't expect any trouble from you we have have had trouble in the past. Please stand close together so I can take a picture of you for our records (pic close enough to read nametags, if available, and see faces, have them cheese it up a little).

The last thing, and IMO the most important, is to walk around and BS with each dude. They usually have some pretty interesting stories and they are happy someone will visit with them. Try to relate to them in some way so they see you are a regular dude just on a different path...not some elitist military officer/pilot type.

I know, I know...it is involved and way over the top but IT WORKS! My last two moves were relatively smooth.

It usually takes 2+ days to pack my house. It cost me a cool C note to run it this way but I have found it works itself out for the better. OBTW, I never packed for Allied but I have seen enough moves to BS about a job I had 20+ years ago.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
^Do you really take a picture of them? Or was that a joke too? Barring the picture which I can't tell if you're joking or not, it seems like a good strategy; it's what my parents definitely did when we bought all new furniture and that worked out awesome.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
^Do you really take a picture of them? Or was that a joke too? Barring the picture which I can't tell if you're joking or not, it seems like a good strategy; it's what my parents definitely did when we bought all new furniture and that worked out awesome.

Yup, had a problem with a crew. I referenced the dude and the company had no knowledge. Personal Property's guess (and I concur) was he was a friend of a packer helping out. The company honored the damage to my house but it was way harder then it should have been. So now a group picture. Individual pictures of packers are good too. You know "to e-mail to my family who has never moved and doesn't have a clue what we go through." <--- Which is what I was actually doing the first time I took pics. Now I just take a group pic and I think they get exactly why I do it.

Pilot123

pilot
So, the movers are busily deciding what of my stuff they want to break right in front of me and what they want to break after they get it out of my house.

This is PCS #3 and I've always wondered: does anyone tip the movers and packers?

If so, how much??

I tipped once because they helmed me with some crap that really was above and beyond, but last time, the movers sort of stood around for 5 minutes awkwardly before I figured out they were expecting a tip.

Generally, I think it's their job and they are already extorting enough $$$ from Uncle Sam to do it that I shouldn't need to tip. Nobody ever tips me, after all.

But I wonder: is it like being a waitress or a bagger at the NEX where tips make up a significant chunk of income and not getting one will be a massive incentive to break all my shit?

Then again, Uncle pays for full replacement insurance now, anyway . . .

PropAddict -

I hear you need all the help you can get. My movers said your movers were a bunch of bums who enjoy breaking crap every chance they get. No lie...

Pilot123

pilot
Granted I am in the middle of only my 2nd government move I have no say we have never had any issues and I am never tipped.

Coming out of Whiting last year was pretty smooth. The packers and movers each liked to enjoy more than their fair of breaks but everything went smooth so I had no complaints. Same on the receiving end in Corpus when the stuff came out of storage. Only thing broken the entire time was a cheap glass case from the dollar store. Offered water, sodas, and pizza each time. Seemed to keep everyone happy.

Did the same yesterday and today with the guys.

I have found they really enjoy it when you chat with them. Getting them to talk about their kids, family, job, and such really makes them feel good I think.