• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statment Help part III

RPANDERSON

I would also like a little help on the statment portion of the package, but not jsut the first statment. I need to good critical reveiw of what I have so I can submit my package within the next month. Read my bio to get all of the stats as well, to see if I will be compettive along for SNA and SNFO.

Here is goes for everyone to tear apart:

PERSONAL STATEMENT

A myriad of reasons have prompted me to strive toward the goal of commissioning. No single reason has had more of an impact than a want to lead at the highest level. Seeking a commission is that very path that I am taking to achieve this goal.

In my current enlisted capacity I have sought out leadership in every position and situation possible. When assigned to NOB Norfolk Chapel as an unrated airman, I sought out leadership with motivation and determination. I took on challenging collateral duties that were two and three pay grades above my own, earning myself a letter of commendation and the respect and admiration of my colleagues. At every duty station I have stood out amongst my peers and lead by the example of hard work and determination. I displayed through action to junior personnel that gaining qualification, fulfilling collateral duty assignments, volunteering in the community and attending college full time while graduating with honors is achievable in every regard. In RP “A” school I lead by principle and organization. I led an efficient and organized duty section of over 150 individuals as well as my class of 20 RP’s, graduating with the highest grade in my this class. Within the community I have lead with responsible stewardship within volunteer, coaching and mentoring capacities with children. I instilled the very principles and core values of leadership needed as an officer to give these children the foundation for success in their lives. These examples show confidence and assuredness in my ability to immediately give quality and productive leadership as a commissioned officer. Leadership as a commissioned officer is at the very core of this motivation and is the ultimate factor that drives me towards a commission.

My desire to lead has also led me to set numerous personal and professional goals. The goals set in each of these areas focus intently on my gaining status as a naval aviator and my contribution to this community. Professionally, my goals are focused on actively pursuing career milestones. Examples of my goals can be seen as follows: Division Officer, Department Head, and ultimately commanding a squadron. Personal goals focus on growth and community stewardship. Goals I have set in this area are seen as follows: pursuing postgraduate education, increased community service and outreach, and gaining my private pilots license. Through the use of my skills and characteristics such as superior oral and written communication, organization, leadership, loyalty, and learning quickly, these goals will be realized. These skills will be sharpened even more through commissioning to mold a superior naval officer and aviator. My goals will be achieved, reflecting great honor on the community that I wish to serve for the remainder of my career.

Continuing to seek out leadership, setting achievable goals, and dedication to personal and professional growth will give the navy an officer that is both motivated to achieve and fully competent in every professional manner. I will be that officer that the Navy values in these ever changing times. I will be the officer that will lead a diverse, team oriented navy at sea, in flight, and on shore.

HONOR, COURAGE, and COMMITMENT

Honor, courage, and commitment have played an integral role in my success as an enlisted sailor and will continue to play a pivotal role well into a commission. During my enlisted time these values have taken on great meaning within the scope of my duties. As an RP, honor plays a critical role in the relationship of superior and subordinate. I have to honor the judgment and orders of my chaplain, which in turn allows for a relationship, forged out of loyalty and consideration for others moral and ethical values. Courage also plays a critical role in my enlisted rating. As an RP in a demanding billet I must have the courage to stand on my own and make decisions that will have an impact on both the Chaplain and RP. I must make these decisions in a leadership capacity, taking full accountability for their outcome while standing firm within my ideals and values that allow me to lead. Finally, as an RP I must be committed to excellence in every aspect of my job. I must make sure that the tasks assigned unto me are completed in a manner that is well above the minimum standards, as I always try to exceed the maximum standards in any assigned task. Each of these values has great meaning and importance within my function as an RP and within being a well rounded sailor and individual. These values can be applied as a person, sailor, and officer, and if used in conjunction with one another can produce a person that will succeed in any assignment.

The applicability of these values to a commissioned officer is similar, yet they are heightened as responsibility and leadership duties are elevated. I will always be mindful of the heightened responsibility to lead. This responsibility is at the very core
of the success of the mission, subordinates, peers and self. I will honor the responsibility to lead effectively and do so in a manner that abides by ethical treatment and moral mentorship of all personnel. I will continue to apply courage; leading by example and using the highest standards of personal, professional, moral and ethical conduct while remaining accountable for the decisions and outcomes that arise out of my leadership capacity. I will continue to uphold an undying commitment to those sailors that are in need of aid, motivation, and guidance to achieve personal and professional goals. These values will continue to guide me as an officer and aviator. They will continue to be the very foundation of my continued success as a front line leader in the United States Navy.

Chop it up fella's and have a good time. Your insight is invaluable and I look forward to seeing the results of some good proofreading and critical evalution.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
That's a big long compared to the one I wrote. I thought it was limited to 200 words? Yours is coming in at about 1000.

gtg941f

pilot
not to be a dick, but it seems this forum is becoming a place for "review my motivational statement".

nothing against the thread starter but realistically if somebody can't follow the application guidelines and do something as simple as writing a motivational statement, is naval aviation the right decision?

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
not to be a dick,QUOTE]

Whenever one thinks of uttering this statement, it is best to keep your mouth shut and phrase things in a better way later.

This is in no way an out of control topic and nobody put a gun to your head and made you read the motivational statement thread.

Every piece of writing can be made stronger by editing, if you didn't have yours edited, you acted foolishly and let something go that could have been a lot tighter. He is not asking how to write a statement, just that some folks look at it, I did the same thing and so should everybody who applies.

Who are you to question this guys ability to fly based on a request for some help from those that have been there? As far as I can tell he recognizes an area he needs help in and is working to fix it; sounds good to me.

BTW, the limit for application, as least from the recruiting command perspective, is 400 words. Make it 5 paragraphs, 1 Tell us that you want to be a Naval Officer and outline why, Paragraph 2-4 is where each reason is elaborated on, paragraph tell us what you told us and sum it up with strong closing statement "If given the chance to serve, I will do so with honor, courage and committment: God save the Queen" etc.

Stylistically, the simpler the sentence the better, as a rule. You are trying to hard to impress with verbosity and big words rather that make your mitivation clear. Make that statement 1/3 as long and cut out anything that you thinks sounds particularlyh sharp and then e-mial it to me and I'll look it over for you.

Boomshanka,

LT Mitchell

SWOdogJon

Enlightened follower of the SWOness
Dude,
Pretty Long compared to mine. I am a big fan of short and to the point and so were the people who selected me, apparently. Let me tell you this: YOU ARE WAY QUALIFIED to be an officer. Great write up, though.

Just dont try to overdo it in the application process.

RPANDERSON

Thanks Guys!

I apprecaite everyones input on this subject. I am crunched for time right now, but I will get these two statements out to you RockymtnNFO for your reveiw as soon as possible. I know when the next board is conveneing and need to get it done quickly so your help and everyone elses is greatly apprecaited. I will mail you back soon and give you my address as well for anyone that wants to offer their critique and help on this subject.

RPANDERSON

Kiljoy

well i wasnt prior service but I thought about it for a few days, then wrote my feelings down and turned it in. My biggest fear when it comes to writing about myself is sounding boastful, I was just short and to the point