• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jride200

Okay ladies and gentlemen . . .

This is nothing new to this forum. I'd like to post a draft of my motivational statement. I hope to use the collective knowledge and learn how to make it better. Realizing the members of this community must read a lot of motivational statements, I hope you can think back to when you wrote your own statement and remember how important it was to you.

Thanks so much, Jason

---------------------------------------------------

As a child, I recall first seeing US Navy ships while vacationing with my grandparents in San Diego. I was, and I remain, in awe of the size and presence of naval ships. As an adult, naval ships have come to represent much more to me—so much so, in fact, that I now aspire to become a naval officer. Although difficult to do using so few words, it is my intent to summarize the reasons for my aspiration with this writing.

I seek a career after graduation representing more than corporate profits. I believe in the basic premise upon which the United States was founded, namely democracy, and I desire to enter the service of my fellow citizens empowered through democracy. Ours is a beautiful, vibrant nation with a colorful, diverse population and fascinating history and culture. Opportunities and freedoms, greater than those available anywhere else in the world make me feel incredibly fortunate to be an American. I desire to protect these wonderful things.

It has been a difficult path earning my bachelor’s degree. I now seek another difficult path: to become a naval officer. Enormous amounts of tradition, camaraderie, and above all, honor exist in the US Navy. These qualities are a direct result of the quality of leadership provided by naval officers. Both of my grandfathers were enlisted in the US Navy and they sweated in the boiler rooms of their respective ships. Each would tell stories reflecting upon the quality of leadership that they were given. I know that although they have both passed on, it would make them proud to see me become an officer like those they so respected.

As an aside, my first preference is to become a Naval Aviator. The Navy Flyer’s Creed states, “My countrymen built the best airplane in the world.” Naval aviation is a vivid example of our nation’s industrial, and resulting military, strength. Skilled workers in my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri build many naval aircraft and I feel I have a shared bond with the workers building these aircraft; I too have labored many an overnight shift in industry. I aspire to make the workers of America proud flying their aircraft with all of my dedication and determination. To again refer to the Navy Flyer’s Creed: “They and their way of life are worthy of my greatest protective effort.” I am ready to put forth this effort.

KSUFLY

pilot
First...do we have to have another motivational statement thread? Second...in that statement you never said what you can bring to the Navy nor what you want from the Navy.

jride200

Yes, we do. "I hope you can think back to when you wrote your own statement and remember how important it was to you." JR

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I second what was said before, it is supposed to be your motivational statement. I think it is a horrible trend to continually post them on here for corrections or additional 'motivation[al]' input from the people on AW. Can we can these, and maybe sticky this or add it to the forum rules.

robav8r

None
Contributor
As someone who has sat on many boards to consider future officers, I have some advice. Your motivational statement has to come from your heart - period. It has to reflect your true feelings as to why you want to be a Naval Officer. It's not an english assignment, it's not something that should be reviewed and chopped and rewritten by others. It's a tool to be used by the selection board to guage your level of desire and commitment. If after you have written it, you are satisfied that it truly reflects why you want to be an officer, then let it be. Think long and hard about what you are applying for and then make sure your statement reflects those feelings.

Reactions: Twy

BackOrdered

Contributor
Yes, we do. "I hope you can think back to when you wrote your own statement and remember how important it was to you." JR

Thinking back, when my first application was declined, I took a long look at my mediocre and short paragraph of a motivational statement that, while grammatically correct, read like I was still in 9th grade NJROTC. I can't help but blame it as part of the reason my app was declined the first time around. But you know, life isn't fair that way. I dug really really REALLY deep, and rewrote a deeper version of why I wanted to be an Officer from scratch. I submitted it without anyone giving it a once over, having learned a lesson from my first app and got picked up for my top choice. Later, I mailed a copy of it to the cadet that inspired the subject of my motivational statement with much gratitude and I keep a copy around that I reread periodically to remind me what exactly I signed my life away for. To this day and forever (due to the personal subjects discussed in my motivational statement), I honestly think that the reasons stated in my second motivational statement was what put my application over the top.

With that said, after some thought, I think I agree with RHPF and robav8r. I mean no disrespect to the topic creator (in my most stereotypically Italian accent), but the motivational is probably the most intimate part of the whole application: someone asking you bluntly to tell them why you want this so bad in your words. I enjoyed in the past helping less creative/poetic/cerebral/persuasive/syntactic applicants think outside the box and write something deeper than the usual carbon copy motivational statements I've read more times than I'm sure the review board cares to read in a day's work; however, the motivational statement is a very vital screening tool. Coming from a guy who feels he was made prey to said screening tool, maybe we are in fact doing the review boards and other applicants a disservice by contributing to the motivational statements of others. The first paragraph of this post is the style of help I've adopted. I have no problem with telling folk what I think of this leg of the process, but the actual spot checking of the final product should be approved at the writer's discretion, not a 3rd party. Personally, I'd be insulted if some edited out what I believe now to be the reason I got picked up in the first place, my reason I want to be an officer in my own words.

Anyway, perhaps a sticky or site rules addition is the way to go. Thats my two cents..

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
As someone who has sat on many boards to consider future officers, I have some advice. Your motivational statement has to come from your heart - period. It has to reflect your true feelings as to why you want to be a Naval Officer. It's not an english assignment, it's not something that should be reviewed and chopped and rewritten by others. It's a tool to be used by the selection board to guage your level of desire and commitment. If after you have written it, you are satisfied that it truly reflects why you want to be an officer, then let it be. Think long and hard about what you are applying for and then make sure your statement reflects those feelings.

Well said. I wrote what I truly felt and the only had my mom (stop laughing) read it over for possible structure and mechanical errors/changes. It was 100% my writing, as it should be yours. If it seems artificial, that's going to reflect poorly on you. Not saying this is a deciding factor (could be) but it certainly couldn't hurt to WOW them with a great motivational statement. I don't know for sure, but I certainly know my outcome...

navyboy4415

I disagree with a rule being created that you cannot post your motivational speeches on this board for a couple reasons. First, no one is forcing you to read this thread so if you don't want to read another motivational speech don't click on the thread. Secondly, the motivational speech is a part of the process of becoming a Navy Officer so if anyone wants to have their speech critiqued I see no problem with them posting it here. Just my two cents.

To respond to the posters speech, I just don't like your speech to be honest. Your speech isn't selling yourself to the board. Tell them WHY they should choose you and tell them WHY you want to be an Officer in the Navy. Make the speech something different from the norm so that your speech distinguishes you above the rest.

“It has been a difficult path earning my bachelor’s degree.”

Just look at this sentence. In my opinion pursuing a bachelor’s degree is NOT that difficult and I expect OCS to be harder then college (If I am commissioned). Do you think the board wants someone who can barely earn their bachelors? Put some more thought/heart into your speech and you’ll be fine.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
motivational speeches

Its not a speech...speeches are delivered aloud. This is a statement.

First, no one is forcing you to read this thread so if you don't want to read another motivational speech don't click on the thread. Secondly, the motivational speech is a part of the process of becoming a Navy Officer so if anyone wants to have their speech critiqued I see no problem with them posting it here.

You are correct. No one is forcing anyone to read this thread. Presumably however, the poster intends people to read and comment on the statement...and herein we have a problem. Program applications request a personal statement. When someone seeks input and alters their statement because of that input, it ceases to be personal. That is our problem.

This process of soul searching is as you point out, "Part of becoming a Naval Officer" and one which you should do by yourself. If you are unable, or unwilling to undertake this "part", you should seek life elsewhere.

+1 on not allowing these threads any longer.

navyboy4415

Program applications request a personal statement. When someone seeks input and alters their statement because of that input, it ceases to be personal. That is our problem.
Review the application for commission. The application requests a motivational statement not a "personal statement". Not having other people review your motivational statement is like not having people review your entire application. In my opinion if people need help on their motivational statement this is the perfect place to seek help.

jride200

Thank you navyboy4415. It seems crazy to me not using every available resource I have.

It is interesting how very much different the responses I am getting here are from those I have read after others have posted their motivational statements.

I have seen many, many posts giving others insightful advice. Listen . . . I am not asking others to write this for me; I'm not an illiterate. I appreciate you saying that this must come from my heart and that I must dig deep. This is what I have tried, and am trying to do here.

Maybe you could just tell me whether or not you think I need to dig deeper?

That I regularly visit this forum, learning everything I can about the life I hope to lead must tell you something. I am working out like crazy and am busting my butt finishing school under extrordinary circumstances. I want this so bad I can taste it . . .

JR

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I enjoy reading candidates' statements. It reminds me how never to take this job for granted and how hard people are willing to work to capture their goal of becoming a Naval Officer.

JRide- Your statement is great. I couldnt have said it any better. Just keep revising but seriously, it sounds great. Good luck :)

My english teacher always said:

"Your statement should be like a girl's skirt. Short enough to get your attention but long enough to cover the subject." :D

KSUFLY

pilot

It was important. Therefore I wrote it in MY words with MYSELF being reflected in the essay. I didn't try to use big words or fancy grammatical runs to impress an English professor. I wrote it in plain, simple words so a board of officers would read it and say, "he wants to be an officer because...and he can bring this to the Navy." I said nothing about people being proud of me or etc. But I wasn't concerned with people being proud of me. Because you know what, people will probably be proud of most of us regardless of what we do because of the type of people we are and the things we do. That's regardless of earning a commission in the Navy. So, may I put forth a little recommendation and say to write your essay in your own words and in your own style? Then ask someone back home (recruiter, mom, dad, sibling, etc.) to look for very obvious grammatical errors. Ask them to only look at grammaticism and not wording or phrasing. Then send it in and let the board decide if you should have the opportunity to try and be an officer in the USN.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
“It has been a difficult path earning my bachelor’s degree.”

Just look at this sentence. In my opinion pursuing a bachelor’s degree is NOT that difficult and I expect OCS to be harder then college (If I am commissioned). Do you think the board wants someone who can barely earn their bachelors? Put some more thought/heart into your speech and you’ll be fine.

Tell that to someone that is working two jobs and holding up a family in addition to going to class. Just because it was easy for you doesn't make it easy for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.