• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement Tips

jaden1121

I am getting ready to take my OAR on 8/3/10 and am seeking any tips on my motivational statement. Currently 384 words. Give it to me straight, I can take it. Any advice will help!!...

I was taught that freedom is not free. It is paid for by the blood, sweat and tears of our humble servicemen and women of this great country. Honor, Courage, Commitment and Patriotism are values instilled in me by my late uncle, a retired Navy Senior Chief. There's only one way I know/want to respond--and that's to join the United States Navy.

Today I am seeking a commission as an Officer because I am fulfilling a dream I have had for as long as I can remember—joining the Navy as a leader. As a Juvenile Probation Officer, I am pushed to the limits and handle a variety of adverse situations that would make me a perfect candidate. I am also an accepted mentor for youths enrolled in the Texas Challenge Academy in Sheffield, Texas. Though I never led a division of sailors, I have led many young minds that may one day be one. As a cheerleader in high school and college, I was one of a select few expected to command school spirit and motivate our teams to victory. I love the challenge of motivating others and rallying them to achieve their goals when their heart isn’t in it. To direct them from a self-defeating attitude of, 'I can't do it' to one of 'I can!' Steering a group of youths or a sports team may be a little different than leading sailors, but I can tell you it has helped me prepare for this challenge.
The program I would like to contribute to is Surface Warfare. I am very well attuned to detail and conducting others. Through my attainment of a B.A. in Criminology from the University of Texas Permian Basin and my Juvenile Probation experience, I have had excellent preparation for these skills of expertise.

My other choice is Public Affairs because I can communicate well and plan in many different ways. In the Juvenile Probation field one communicates with the public (parents, law enforcement, and youths) daily. Everything I have is always in order and planned far ahead of time in case any changes need to be made but I can also be counted on at a moment’s notice should the need arise.

I believe I will excel in either of these fields and eagerly await your response.

...What do you guys think?

m26

Contributor
I want to put this tactfully while still giving it to you straight: I vote that you scrap the whole thing and rewrite it.

General problems:
-Using the second person (I don't know how others feel about this but I personally think it's awful)
-The cheerleader thing
-Too much emphasis on résumé
-Discussing two separate designators
-Informal tone

m26

Contributor
m26 - what makes it second person?

Assuming it was part of the statement, this:

I believe I will excel in either of these fields and eagerly await your response.

I've settled on "second-person" as a shorthand for directly addressing the boards. "Direct address," as it turns out, is a specific thing, so in my compulsive need to be technically specific I went with "second person," which I believe is both accurate and unambiguous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_person
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addressee

UF_ME

OIC...thank you for clarifying and citing. On a side note I am finding you advice very helpful in writing my own motivational statement

jaden1121

I want to put this tactfully while still giving it to you straight: I vote that you scrap the whole thing and rewrite it.

General problems:
-Using the second person (I don't know how others feel about this but I personally think it's awful)
-The cheerleader thing
-Too much emphasis on résumé
-Discussing two separate designators
-Informal tone

m26, thanks for the advice. I will certainly rethink things. I used this as a guide...http://www.navy-officer.com/blog/?p=64. Do you not think the ''cheerleader thing'' shows leadership skills, teamwork, and drive, or ambition? How do you feel I could make it more formal? I will pull back on mentioning the resume so much. And thanks, I didn't know the mentioning of two separate designators, suppose is sounds indecisive?
...And no worries, I appreciate you giving it to me straight and tactfully. I would rather hear it now and strengthen it as opposed to submitting something weak.

m26

Contributor
Do you not think the ''cheerleader thing'' shows leadership skills, teamwork, and drive, or ambition?

Well, look at what you wrote:

As a cheerleader in high school and college, I was one of a select few expected to command school spirit and motivate our teams to victory. I love the challenge of motivating others and rallying them to achieve their goals when their heart isn’t in it. To direct them from a self-defeating attitude of, 'I can't do it' to one of 'I can!' Steering a group of youths or a sports team may be a little different than leading sailors, but I can tell you it has helped me prepare for this challenge.

I think you're either vastly overestimating the prestige and motivational power of cheerleaders, or failing to explain why what you said was true. I mean, "Select few?" Were you recruited, or chosen for a small team from amongst a large pool (4-5x bigger than slots available) of applicants? Did the cheer team compete and fare admirably in national competitions or at least root on a team that was nationally ranked or competing in the postseason?

If the answer to both those is "yes," then maybe you have a point, and you should make those things clear. If it is "no," then you need to let it go.

I know you're using cheerleading in concert with your current job in that paragraph, but it looks like you're conflating the two, which is just nonsense.

And finally, if you are a guy, you run the risk of any number of stereotypes and, lets face it, as a JO you would probably get a healthy amount of crap about this. If you are female, then you still run the risk of various stereotypes - ones that might be worse than those you would face as a guy.

And thanks, I didn't know the mentioning of two separate designators, suppose is sounds indecisive?

I don't want to analyze it that deeply. The moto gets read by two separate boards, so you've wasted a paragraph telling the SWOs about your PAO interest, and you've told the PAO's that they're your #2 option. Bad.

How do you feel I could make it more formal?

-Never use a slash. I've read hundreds of these without seeing an acceptable use of the slash. It's not good for formal writing.
-Never use contractions (with rare exceptions)
-Parentheses should be avoided to the extent possible

-Handled situations "that would make me a perfect candidate."
-Leading sailors and being a cheerleader/JPO "may be a little different"
-Other choice is PAO "because I communicate well..."
-"I can be counted on at a moment's notice..."

^These are things you say to explain your motivation to your parents/siblings/friends. Not how you write formally.

jaden1121

Alright M26, I'm hitting a road block or writers block, whatever here it goes and let me hear your honesty, sir:

I was taught that freedom is not free. It is paid for by the blood, sweat and tears of our humble servicemen and women of this great country. Honor, Courage, Commitment and Patriotism are values instilled in me by my late uncle, a retired Navy Senior Chief. There's only one way I know and want to respond--and that's to join the United States Navy.

Today I am seeking a commission as an Officer because I am fulfilling a dream I have had for as long as I can remember—joining the Navy as a leader. As a Juvenile Probation Officer, I am pushed to the limits and handle a variety of adverse situations that make me a perfect candidate. I am also an accepted mentor for youths enrolled in the Texas Challenge Academy in Sheffield, Texas. Though I never led a division of sailors, I have led many young minds that may one day be one. I love the challenge of motivating others and rallying them to achieve their goals when their heart is not in it. To direct them from a self-defeating attitude of, 'I cannot do it' to one of 'I can!' Steering a group of youths is different than leading sailors, but I can tell you it has helped me prepare for this challenge. I will bring the dedication and loyalty I was raised to live by to the United States Navy as an Officer and wear this prestigious title with Honor as I serve my Country and its Constitution.

The program I would like to contribute to is Surface Warfare. I am very well attuned to detail and conducting others. Through my attainment of a B.A. in Criminology from the University Of Texas Permian Basin and an internship with The Department of Homeland Security, I have had excellent preparation for these skills of expertise. I can communicate well and plan in many different ways. Whether it be judges, parents, law enforcement, or youths I communicate with the public daily and do so effectively. Everything I have is always in order and planned far ahead of time in case any changes need to be made. I believe I will excel in this field.

...It feels too lean now. Is that a problem? I have appreciated your critiques thus far and was wondering if you were willing to donate some more of your time?
BTW, I am male so thanks for the heads up.

I've helped with a few of these, and I found that the best way is to be frank about it all. No offense is meant.

I was taught that freedom is not free. It is paid for by the blood, sweat and tears of our humble servicemen and women of this great country. Honor, Courage, Commitment and Patriotism are values instilled in me by my late uncle, a retired Navy Senior Chief. There's only one way I know and want to respond--and that's to join the United States Navy.

Rubbish. This tells me nothing about yourself while at the same time not setting the framework of the rest of your motivational statement. This means it's an intro that isn't doing its job. Not only that, but it's hypocritical as well. I know that's not your intention. But answer this to yourself: If your uncle instilled such patriotic values into you, then why didn't you sign up right out of high school, or enter into ROTC or BDCP? This will be the first thing that those Captains will read, and they'll have this thought going through their heads.

The problem is you're writing what you think they want to hear rather than really selling the idea of you. Most people do this, and most people don't get accepted. Unless you've had prior enlistment due to these strong patriotic feelings, then they don't belong there. Even then, you'd have to try very hard to not sound cliche. You'd have to focus that your strong patriotic values gave you no other choice but to enlist right out of high school, but then the words you spend explaining all of that would be much better spent highlighting your actual accomplishments than some nebulous feelings.

To recap: citing patriotism or some prior service relative's influence is cliche and often rings hollow.

Today I am seeking a commission as an Officer because I am fulfilling a dream I have had for as long as I can remember - joining the Navy as a leader.

wasted words. Spend these on selling the idea of you.

As a Juvenile Probation Officer, I am pushed to the limits and handle a variety of adverse situations that make me a perfect candidate. I am also an accepted mentor for youths enrolled in the Texas Challenge Academy in Sheffield, Texas. Though I never led a division of sailors, I have led many young minds that may one day be one. I love the challenge of motivating others and rallying them to achieve their goals when their heart is not in it. To direct them from a self-defeating attitude of, 'I cannot do it' to one of 'I can!' Steering a group of youths is different than leading sailors, but I can tell you it has helped me prepare for this challenge.

Good. Golden, even. No matter how much you change this motivational statement, keep this (or at least change it very little). Perhaps it could use with some condensing, but it's to the point, and it highlights you and your accomplishments.

I will bring the dedication and loyalty I was raised to live by to the United States Navy as an Officer and wear this prestigious title with Honor as I serve my Country and its Constitution.

This isn't the closing paragraph, so why recap? They aren't going to forget the point you've made in the past 80 words, and this ins't transitioning into the next paragraph. On top of it, it's the same problem as I talked about earlier. Far too many people will speak of "patriotism." It's cliche and it tells them nothing. They aren't going to give you the spot on well wishes and positive thinking. They want to hear of your accomplishments, because that's a far better metric to measure you on than nebulous feelings. Wasted words.

The program I would like to contribute to is Surface Warfare.

Only SWO? No others? If it's only SWO, then I'd say you're selling yourself short. You're given 3 jobs to apply for, and if you truly have those patriotic feelings than the job isn't as important as the position. Unless you don't fit the minimum requirements for any other jobs, then you should apply to 3 simply to increase your chances of getting accepted. However, if you are applying to other jobs, then those other ones will be put off by this. The Intel board wouldn't hire someone saying in their statement that they're applying for SWO.

Aside from those points, making such a statement is unnecessary. Each designation holds their own boards. Thus, the SWO board and no others would read this one, so they'd know that you're applying to SWO. Again, another case of wasted words.

I am very well attuned to detail and conducting others. Through my attainment of a B.A. in Criminology from the University Of Texas Permian Basin and an internship with The Department of Homeland Security, I have had excellent preparation for these skills of expertise. I can communicate well and plan in many different ways. Whether it be judges, parents, law enforcement, or youths I communicate with the public daily and do so effectively. Everything I have is always in order and planned far ahead of time in case any changes need to be made.

Golden. You'll probably have to expand on this a bit more though. Really focus later that you worked for Homeland Security.

I believe I will excel in this field.

Wasted words.

On top of all this, you need a final paragraph to wrap up all of your previous points.

...It feels too lean now. Is that a problem?

Technically, no...but really, yes. You have a limited number of words to sell the idea of you to the Navy. Unless you can write in the most succinct manner possible, then you want to use all 400 words at your disposal.

-------

So, my suggestions? Re-write it.

Don't spend so long on each paragraph. Hit hard, fast, and heavy. Say nothing that doesn't add to the quality of your paper. Say nothing that doesn't add to your paper or your argument. 70-100 words per paragraph depending on the number of points your're trying to make.

Also, I disagree with the comments made about cheer leading to a point. I'll agree that if you're a guy, then you probably shouldn't mention it. If not, then focus far more on the athleticism and potential competitiveness of it. Football players lift weights, cheerleaders lift girls. In other words, this can show that you're fit and can adhere to a training regiment. Also, cheerleading has the highest chance of injury than any varsity sport. Did you ever get injured yet still worked though it? What about performing maneuvers that had a high likelihood of injury? Were you able to step up and perform in those situations? How about any competitions? Did you or your squad ever participate in one? Did you ever win one? Mentioning your history as a cheerleader could count against you simply due to the stereotype it generates, but if you present it right then it could work in your favor. It's a flip of a coin, roll of the dice - a gamble. It's up to you if you want to take it.

Expound more on the things that you want to highlight. Even seemingly small details may be important depending on how you sell them. Something as small as leaving town/state to go to college can add a lot to your character if you sell it right. Each of your accomplishments or actions can tell them a lot about you. For this reason, you don't want to mention your major and the fact you worked with Homeland Security (both in passing) in the same sentence. What did you do at both of those? How did you grow as a person from both of those? What have you taken away from those experiences? These speak volumes more than kowtowing to unmeasurable aspirations of patriotism (unless, of course, you have actions that can backup those aspirations, because then it wouldn't be unmeasurable).

In a word, be succinct. Make each and every one of your words mean something. Expound as much on each point to the degree it is no longer beneficial to do so, which means make your point and then move on. Sell the idea of you. Make them think that you're better than the other names and numbers on all the other forms they have.

If it helps, I'll also post my Motivational Statement below. You can even critique it as much as you like. It won't mean much, because I've been accepted. I'll be classing up in October.

Good luck on future rewrites if you chose to follow my suggestions. Please don't feel angry or hurt by my statements. I truly am being blunt in order to help you get the best motivational statement you can. Then again, if you can't take tough love then you may not work well with the Marine DIs

-------------------

My statement:

I have a degree in Aerospace Engineering from UCLA, Eagle Scout award when I was 15, love for reading and for science, computers and technology. What I lack, however, is a way to cohesively mold these different aspects of my life into something focused. From what I've studied, the Navy has what I feel I need, which is first hand knowledge; a break from theoretical learning and a pathway into a world of real life application.

As an Aerospace Engineer, I have a solid understanding of the physics of flight and space. While my focus is space flight and environment, I maintain a firm grip on all other aspects within engineering; the forces within structures, the way heat and matter permiate from their source, the interaction of fluids on aerodynamic bodies, and the mechanical knowledge of engines, both in cars and planes.

To best learn the capabilities of oneself, they must venture outside of their comfort areas. Time and time again I’ve chosen this path, first with pushing myself to become an eagle scout at an early age, over the years through camping and backpacking, and finally in more recent years by moving from a small town to attend school at UCLA rather than the local college, and while in LA taking up a martial art and carrying through with it for going on five years. To continue on with my degree at this point usually requires me to either stay in school, or get a job in a cubicle, sitting for hours in front of a computer. Neither is a break from the norm, and thus I am adverse to both decisions.

Eventually I’ll have to take a desk job in some company. In my field, such a company would most likely be either government run or a defense contractor. For this reason, the Navy is a good choice as it will prepare me for that eventuality.

In the end, I have a direction I want my life to go in. Childish or not, I continue to fight the cold impartiality of life, along with the cynicism it causes, and still have some drive to follow my dreams. It is for this reason that I must continually strive to improve myself, why I have chosen the Navy as my next step, and why I must carry out my duties with promptness and to the fullest of my abilities.

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
here's mine... i wrote it in about 10 minutes. in my opinion you shouldn't have to think hard, just tell them a) why you want to be a Naval Officer and b) why you want to be a swo/nfo/sna.

In the proud history of this nation, many great men have served their country as officers in the United States Navy. John F. Kennedy, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush and Alan Shepard, to name a few, have been highly successful in leading our country in times of struggle and crossing new frontiers that no one thought possible. What made these men great? A commitment to leadership, honor, courage and discipline instilled in them during their tenure in the Unites States Navy.
I am seeking a commission, like many men before me, to become part of something bigger than myself, to commit myself to the morals and tenets that only an officer knows. I am seeking a commission to serve my country, just like my grandfathers and my father before me. Ever since I would sit at their feet and listen to stories of heroism and bravery in WWII and Korea, I have had a strong desire to serve my country and defend what they would have readily laid down their lives for: God and Country.
In the Navy, I will be challenged as a leader and a motivator in numerous ways, and this is what drives me to become an officer. As a teen, my favorite experiences in Boy Scouting were the challenges and immense rewards that I experienced by leading my fellow scouts on camping trips, service drives and eventually my eagle project. Becoming an officer in the United States Navy will allow me to push myself to be a better follower and a better leader on a daily basis.
Finally, I am seeking a commission to search out exciting and challenging opportunities that no civilian job could ever provide. Military aviation is one such opportunity that I have dreamed about since I was young. My father retired from the Navy as a Commander and flew the HS-3 from the USS Enterprise and my grandfather flew sea planes in the pacific theater as a Lt. jg during WWII. I have been fascinated with aviation since birth and I am currently pursuing a degree that lets me dissect and investigate the beauty of flight. Aviation is in my blood and it's a family tradition that I would very much like to honor and continue by becoming an Officer and a Naval Aviator in the United States Navy.

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
...more advice (take it for what it is)...

the question in the app asks you to explain why you want a commission as an officer in the us navy... ANSWER IT! (which you did)

Thomas_McKenna says some lofty things about... things... but he really doesn't answer in plain normal person English why he wants to join the navy.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you what to write, at the end of the day this statement goes on your app and you need to be happy with it.

IMO, i think that if you tightened up the language a bit, your statement is awesome. it shows why you want to join the navy, who inspired you to join the navy and why you think you would a great navy officer. good luck!

Sorry I didn't write like a high school grad. 'Normal person english' is not the kind of language you should ever use when writing something for a formal consideration (would you wear "normal person clothes" to a job interview?).

We differ in opinions here. This is the one and only place where you actually get to make your case in your entire package. It changes the image of you from a piece of paper with numbers on it to a rational thinking person. For many, it could be the deciding factor between pass and fail, so I would suggest that jaden puts in a bit more than 10 minutes worth of effort into it. It worked for gstapes, but I would say that it was an irresponsible decision, even if it came out for the better.

In the end, jaden, it's up to you who you want to listen to or if you want to listen to anything here. However, as with each part of the application process, the motivational statement is important, and it deserves an amount of time and effort that reflects that importance. The motivational statement isn't just to explain why you're seeking a commission, but it should also explain why you are a better choice than th dozen other applications that are very similar to your own.

One last thing to gstapes:

Don't listen to anyone who tells you what to write

That is, by far, the worst suggestion you could make. There isn't an author out there who hasn't had proof readers, or others to critique their drafts. The reason for this is because having critical input by others creates a better product. Every paper, be it literary or scientific, that I've written I have given to others to critique, and never once has it made the final product worse, or made me write something that I didn't feel was mine or wasn't happy with. You can go ahead and cover your ears to all the people who are critical to your thoughts, opinions, or works - but you'll never improve yourself if you keep that mentality.

Sure, maybe you didn't like my critique of their statement. That's fine. A counter argument to my critiques is entirely welcomed on my end because both sides of the story will help jaden make the best motivational statement they can. That was my stated goal from the very beginning, that despite my tone or dickishness my goal was to help jaden make a better motivational statement. However, don't come here and tell them to close their ears to any critiques, because that will halt any chance of improvement if anyone decides to listen to it.

jaden1121

'Thomas_McKenna' and 'gstapes12'

ALL advice is appreciated. I was once taught that any good advice, no matter the source, is STILL good advice and to disregard it because you don't know or approve of the giver is foolish. You have differing opinions, however, thank you both for your critiques. I can extract from both and hopefully make my statement as strong as it can be. The goal of course is "at the end of the day...be happy with it", "tighten up the language", get rid of some of the "rubbish", and blow them away.

Thomas_McKenna - I was originally advised by 'm26' that mentioning other designators could alienate one board or the other. Do you not feel this would be the case? In my original draft I had included my interest in PAO and was going to include Supply. As far as not joining earlier, for what its worth, my uncle, someone I really looked up to and admired, requested during his ailing health that I go to college first before attempting to join as an officer. I actually WAS on the fast-track to BDCP when my now ex-wife commited adultry and I worked in the oil field to pay for college and a divorce at the same time...not exactly things one envisions in a motivational statement. Unless, I put in there that I have now removed skull and heard the 'pop' so-to-speak. What I have said above are actually true feelings and, with the exception of my uncle, I have on my own since 16 when I was orphaned...should I include something as to such? (not seeking pity party, simply stating I know I am capale of achieving goals no matter the obstacle?) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

gstapes12 - 10 minutes? No offense and hats of to ya but I gotta go with Thomas_McKenna on that one. I want it to punch and have the appropriate formality. I am simply not one to leave it to that much luck. Congrats on pro-rec pilot, though.

I was originally advised by 'm26' that mentioning other designators could alienate one board or the other. Do you not feel this would be the case? In my original draft I had included my interest in PAO and was going to include Supply.

It would definitely be the case, which is why I suggested you not include it. Each board gets your package separately. On the package, they'll be able to see the other designations you applied for, but in your motivational statement you don't want to play favorites. The simple fact that a board is reading your package means that they already know what you're applying for. Thus saying in your statement that you're gunning for "SWO" to the SWO board is redundant, and to the Supply board it is harmful (simply using SWO and Supply as examples. They could easily be replaced with X and Y). So, since mentioning one or all of the designations you're applying for will be redundant at best, then you really don't need to put them in there. Spend the words elsewhere.

As far as not joining earlier, for what its worth, my uncle, someone I really looked up to and admired, requested during his ailing health that I go to college first before attempting to join as an officer. I actually WAS on the fast-track to BDCP when my now ex-wife commited adultry and I worked in the oil field to pay for college and a divorce at the same time...not exactly things one envisions in a motivational statement. Unless, I put in there that I have now removed skull and heard the 'pop' so-to-speak. What I have said above are actually true feelings and, with the exception of my uncle, I have on my own since 16 when I was orphaned...should I include something as to such? (not seeking pity party, simply stating I know I am capale of achieving goals no matter the obstacle?) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I wasn't judging earlier. I was just commenting that given only 400 words, and brief explanations of family members and patriotism, an accurate portrayal of who you are really doesn't come through very well. This isn't just true with you alone, but for everyone who makes a mention of it (and a lot of people make mention of it). If you can't explain your situation (in few enough words) to the point that the relative + patriotism story is unique, then it'll sound cliche.

It's like launching another shuttle mission - no one cares because it's something tens of thousands have done before (if you count satellites as well - only in the hundreds to thousands if you don't). However, if you make that mission unique enough, then people will care. Fix Hubble? Newspaper headlines for weeks. Going to the space station again? Maybe an honorable mention on page 12. Make your situation seem unique compared to the other dozens of people who will also write of relatives (grandpa is usually the popular one) and patriotism, and then there shouldn't be any issues with it. As it currently is in your last statement, however, doesn't make you stand out. The tallest blade of grass may be the first to get cut, but god damn it you want to be the tallest blade of grass in this case.

The prior interest in BDCP and having to work a dangerous and demanding job to pay for school and legal expenses, however...That shit is gold. It is information like this that changes you from a 2 dimensional being who's defined only by the numbers in their packet to a three dimensional person. It's that extra dimension that really defines who you are. As it stands, I learned more about you in that one sentence than I did from nearly half of your current motivational statement. Your back was against the wall. Times were tough. You persevered through it all and you came out a better person for it. Or at least that's how you sell it.

The orphan history probably won't win you any sympathy. Maybe you could spin it to work for your benefit? Only orphans I ever knew were ones that were adopted at a very young age by great foster parents, so my own bias comes into play. It probably sucks, but since I don't know about it at all from personal experience or second hand, then I don't really know the ins and outs of it. Without that kind of understanding, I can't help you on if it could work to your advantage to fit it in to your statement. I will say, however, if you could argue that you have grown somehow from the situation then it might be worth putting in there. Don't look at it from gaining sympathy votes, look at how your character has been shaped and defined by it. If you think that change in character can make you a better leader, then go for it.

Hoped this helped. Until my class date I don't have anything else to do but browse forums and workout, so I'll always be available to put in my 2 cents if they're welcomed (and even sometimes when they're not).

jaden1121

Thomas_McKenna-I have a son. I stayed here after the divorce and college to be around during his early years. Any experience/advice on how mentioning this could help or hinder a statement?