• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement Help

Donald Auld

Hey Guys,

Just a quick background, I am a Senior Civil Engineering Student and I want to be a Naval Aviator. I will be taking the ASTB this friday and I know that doing well here is imperative. However, from what I have read the Motivational Statement can be a huge player in weather or not a candidate is selected. I have spent quite a bit of time on my Motivational Statement and I was hoping I could get some constructive criticism. So here goes...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A man, and a Naval Officer, should be able to hold his head high and state his name with a sense of pride, pride in who he is and the things he has accomplished.

Five years ago, I was not a man who was capable of fulfilling this statement. I was an overweight Texas state prison guard with no plans or aspirations to achieve more, and I certainly was not proud. I knew this was not what I wanted out of life, and at the time I wasn’t sure what I wanted, but I did know I could not use my current situation to attain it.

Since then, I have lost over 100 pounds, enrolled at Texas Tech University as a civil engineering student, held officer positions in several student organizations including two presidential positions, and maintained a 3.25 GPA, all while working to pay for my education. In May of 2015, I will graduate not only with my bachelor’s degree, but also with a firm knowledge that I can now state my name with a sense of pride. In my time at Texas Tech, I have interned with two civil engineering design firms, both of which asked me to stay and continue my employment with them. Although I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the work and my time with them, I still yearn for more than going to an office from eight to five week in and week out. I am thirsty for the unique adventure that I would experience as a Naval Officer and Aviator. To be fulfilled by devoting myself to the rigor and dedication that life as a United States Naval Officer requires is what my heart truly desires. Serving alongside the best, bravest, and brightest men and women the United States has to offer is the epitome of honor, and would be spring board for a remarkable legacy.

Albert Einstein once said, “Try not to be a man of success, but a man of value.” This is the quintessential statement of my life. It is imperative to me that I am of value to the organization that employs me, rather than it being solely of value to me. My personal success should pale in comparison to the overall ambitions of the organization I am serving. I have been a leader and an example among my peers, and I am a constant display of the benefits of hard work. However, no organization can become successful from the efforts of a single person, but with exceptional leadership skills one person can transform a poorly integrated faction into a highly motivated force. Being a Texas State Prison Guard granted me the opportunity to learn not only how to give orders but also how to execute them. With maintaining order among the incarcerated as my primary objective, I was taught the importance of personnel management and attention to detail, as well as how to maintain my composure in high stress situations. These opportunities have afforded me a wealth of experience in leading people and ultimately becoming a multidimensional leader.

My life’s ventures have not all been successes, but despite this, and more importantly, I have never let myself concede to defeat. A challenge is not always measured by how big or how small it is, but by the level of perseverance the task requires. I take pride in the quality of work that I deliver, and I have faith that I will be an indispensable asset to the United States Naval force. The knowledge I have gained as an engineer has trained my mind to utilize analytical thinking to solve both technical and social problems. I have also attained a minor in mathematics and a high level of comprehension in physics. My ability in these respects are beneficial when making time sensitive decisions. With the assistance of these skills I have become competent in my methods for designing and executing plans to effectively use the personnel under my leadership.

Over the last few years, my life’s task has been to hone the necessary proficiencies to become the finest human being I can be. This is why I firmly believe a profession as a Naval Officer and Aviator is a fitting career to utilize my life and skills, as well as create a legacy for my name, that I, Donald Toby Matthew Auld, can state proudly.