• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

(mostly) Tomcat Pr0n

East

东部
Contributor
Rio

Nice pics, but why is that RIO guy holding that bar so tight? On every turn you see his arm and hand (rolled sleeve) on the same place.
Is there nothing else to do for him during a display or is he supposed to hold that handle all the way?
:confused:

B

Blutonski816

^ it's so that you have something to hold onto, instead of the ejection handles, lol...

Man, the last time I saw one up close was at the '04 Nellis airshow...
and I made this vid

and Forget the Blue angels, those VF-101 guys have the coolest helmets and visors ever....

B

Blutonski816

one word...

$$$$$

as great as it was at doing its job, she's a b!tch to maintain...
last I heard was 50 man hours of maintenance for every flight hour(correct me if my gouge is bad)...

but hot damn, it would have been fun to fly one....

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Blutonski, yeah I head it was ~48 or so when I talked to a pilot CAPT at USNA...

B

Blutonski816

close enough....

Another reason behind the tomcat's retirement.... politics.. when Cheney was SECDEF, he cancelled all funding for further development of the F-14... that included the Tomcat 21 and quick-strike programs...
Rumor has it that Cheney was pissed at one of the Grumman Execs when the decision was made....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
It would be cool if they kept a squadron just for show purposes.

This is the military.

And that costs money, and we don't have it.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Dan... great find. Love the Tomcat. Used to watch'em fly into Rosy Roads all the time when I was a wee-one.

B

Blutonski816

Fly Navy said:
This is the military.

And that costs money, and we don't have it.

And I don't think Capt. Snodgrass' vision of a civilian-operated suqadron of Tomcats is gonna come to fruition either...

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
Blutonski816 said:
close enough....

Rumor has it that Cheney was pissed at one of the Grumman Execs when the decision was made....

yep, and he killed the ADCAP program from the Prowler

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Don't sweat it guys... when I become king of the world, I'll bring back the Tomcat.

(and banish left lane drivers to the depths of hell)

Are you drunk?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I take that as a yes . . .

But back on topic, I still have the NAVFLIR from my 1.0 in the backseat as a mid . . . for when I need the motivation. :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
punk said:
I just remind myself that I don't want it to be the ONLY time in my life I got to be in a gray Navy jet. Come on, of all the curses and bad juju an SNA can pick up, I think that's pretty far down on the list, especially since there are no more slots for those anyway.