• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most important part(s) to ASTB??

Vadneyn

Just took the ASTB a 2nd time and my OAR dropped a few points and AQR dropped 1 with my other scores remaining the same. On the UAV portion I only missed 2, and got rest of them right with an average time of about 3 seconds or less. However that score was only a 4?

Anyone have tips or resources on what subject/parts heavily increase their scores? The test unfortunately doesn’t break down what parts we do poorly in.

Please and thank you.

WannaFlyHigh

I would recommend studying Kyle's ASTB Prep guide (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AvPi5oH_h_13TGajDvflDWkftwXO8LS6) .

Do all the practice tests and time your self. I think the time crunch saved me and helped me not fall behind. I also noticed a lot of probability questions on the math section. I would definitely look that stuff over.

Jacob was one of the higher scoring people and he posted this:

Make sure to read thru to 1001 Questions about ASTB. I think reviewing many of the guides in there is enough study material to score well.

Metromedic

Contributor
Just took the ASTB a 2nd time and my OAR dropped a few points and AQR dropped 1 with my other scores remaining the same. On the UAV portion I only missed 2, and got rest of them right with an average time of about 3 seconds or less. However that score was only a 4?

Anyone have tips or resources on what subject/parts heavily increase their scores? The test unfortunately doesn’t break down what parts we do poorly in.

Please and thank you.
Here was my study plan for taking the ASTB. I did take a retake because I scored extremely low thinking I could just "go" for it like it was the ASVAB. I was incredibly wrong. Heres my advice for the following sections.

The first three sections are for the OAR comprising of Math, Reading and Mechanical. All tests are CAT, or computer adaptive testing. The more correct you answer, the more difficult the questions will become and vice versa until a score can be determined by the system.

Math
The math section will comprise of a wide variety of problems consisting from basic algebra to calculus and beyond. Make sure you know how to do simple math, fractions, divisions and percentages. Know the basic definitions such as integers and whole numbers. Once you have. basic understanding of that, move on to word problems. Understand how word problems work and what the question is actually asking you as they will often contain filler information that's irrelevant and designed to throw you off. Know PEMDAS (look it up if you don't know it). Then work your way up to algebra up to your current math level. You can attempt that complex stuff like Logs and CoSin, but if you're anything like me, that's too complex to tackle without an instructor.

Reading
This section is designed to understand your comprehension of a paragraph. The only way to practice for this section is to actually read paragraphs and understand what's being stated. I highly recommend practicing test questions in this section if you have difficulty.
Approach each question like this: 1) Read the paragraph. 2) Understand what the paragraph is attempting to state. 3) Read the question. 4) Understand what the question is asking of the paragraph. 5) Rule out any answer that does not fit the paragraph and answer.
Just like the math section, rule out anything that doest immediately fit the paragraph. If an answer states A, B, & C, but the paragraph only has A & C, rule it out.

Mechanical
This section is designed to test your understanding of mechanical operations. Understand what cogs are and how the teeth relate to speed (More teeth = slow, etc). Also ensure that you know how cogs work in terms of directions. If one spins to the left, they all won't spin to the left.
Pulleys are another huge thing in conjunction with mechanical advantage. Know how 1 vs 5 pulleys work when pulling a load.
Fulcrums are another thing. Understand the three types of fulcrums and how they move weight.
Potential vs Kinetic energy. Newtons laws of motion. Conservation of Energy. Daltons Law, Boyles Law and Henrys Law.
Know how fluid behaves in conjunction with pressure.
Lastly, circuits. Understand how resistance and flow of electricity works.

After you completed the OAR section, you will move to the aviation faucet.

Aviation Knowledge
If you have ever flown a plane before, this will be easy for you. If you haven't, take the next 30 days and play around in Flight Simulator and learn the basic of flight physiology. Here is a link to the PHAK or the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. This was required when I took my Private Pilot exam and has all the basics you can think of. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/
Another resource I used during pilot school was the Airplane Flying Handbook. This has a little bit easier wording and will also give you a baseline understanding. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/

Facet Inventory
This section will ask you two paired statements and there is no preparation for it. This is essentially up to you and not one thing can assist you with this. Just answer truthfully and consistently.

Performance Based
This section is all about the practical skills. The starting section is the Spatial Apperception with a drone view and map that is always north up. Your goal is to find the requested direction based off the drone. My recommendation is to utilize the compass trick in this video:

Next you will do a listening test. Make sure you follow the directions and understand which ear is requested. This is a highly graded area.

Next you will do the throttle exam. Just match the crosshairs with the plane and you'll be fine. Do the same thing for the joystick one, but be aware that its inverted and this will throw you off at first. The real tricky one is when they put them together. Just try your best and use your peripherals on the vertical movement and follow the dynamic one with the joystick.

When it comes time to do both and the audio together, focus the most attention on the audio portion as this is, again, heavily graded.

Lastly, you'll do both skills with the simulated engine fire, etc. My advice is to write down the key to each emergency so you have them when you test and just try your best again. This video did wonders for me when I took it.

Use Sribd and you can read multiple different ASTB study guides. Theres a 30-day free trial so take advantage.

Hope you do well and let me know if you have any questions!