• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most Family Oriented Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobNLa

I realize that military aviation is not the most family oriented career. I would like feedback from aviators and nfos about their experience. Most importantly, which aviation community will allow me to be with my family most often. I know that it depends on the squadron and other factors. I am only looking for general information about each community. Also, how often have you had to relocate your family?

Thanks,
Rob

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The C-2 community seems to allow a bit more family time than others. The primary mission is logistics from the beach. So during work-ups, we normally fly missions to the ship but come home each night. On cruise, we are usually shored base, allowing plenty of access to talk to your loved ones. Last cruise, I spoke to my wife and daughter just about every day. I use the terms normally or usually being that things could change. My first cruise with VRC-30 was a full blown, fly at night, stay on board for 6 months (including work-ups) type of cruise. As COD pilots though, we don't do drug ops, weapons dets, Fallon dets, etc so we spend more time at home between work-ups and cruise.

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
The TACAMO (E-6B) community is all about family. 2-3 week deployments (pulling in per diem), no boat, and no 6 monthers preceded by workups preceded by exercises preceded by training dets. The downsides, of course, are Oklahoma and being little more than a talented bus driver. Family is one of the main reasons I came here.

texasmid

pilot
travis-
how tough/rare is it to get an E-6 slot in flight school? when there is one available does it usually go higher in the class or do people shy away from it because it's "boring"

travislikes

TACAMO Bus Driver
When I selected (2 or so years ago) it was at least a decent NSS (mid 40's) and luck that got guys a slot. Most guys that selected had around a 50-60 NSS and really wanted to go E-6's. It all depends on where your priorities lie...I would love to go fly off the boat, but I chose the family life and free time that this community has to offer.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Over the past 3-4 months E-6 slots have gone to people with an NSS between 52 and 58 (for the most part, lowest I have heard of was a 49 back in the begining of June), so it has gotten far more competitive than it was some years ago.

And as was said, timing has a TON to do with it: Every 3 weeks 2 new Navy studs start class at Vance w/ T-1s, and about every 4th week only 1 new Navy stud will start.

Status
Not open for further replies.